Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had for the longest time thought that I had a bad main relay. But I thought I'd try something else. What usually happens is that the car starts up fine (immediately), and everythings great. Then the car begins to take a couple seconds to start. Then onto a few seconds to start the next time and so on. Then, after long enough it wouldn't start at all.

This past couple weeks, I tried this. I noticed that this "trouble" only happens at or below a quarter of a tank of gas. So at, or a little below a quarter I noticed it start to take longer to start. Okay, so I thought it'd be a good time to try the new theory. Fill'r up... Success!!! It starts immediately now.

Well okay then, what would cause such a problem? Fuel pump going out?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^But I've actually driven the car from a 1/4 of a tank to almost the E tick mark. Of course everytime I tried starting the car during that period to took longer and longer each time.

LOL, low on gas...

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
yea i dunno. sounds like a fuel pump problem. pick up a walbro 255 since they are cheap as hell anyways and see if it helps

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it would be on the list of things to get the turbo kit started... Any problems just adding it into a totally stock system? Would I have to get re-tuned? I once saw a 255 for $69.99; anyone else have a good deal on a new one?

BTW, P06 slotted & chipped w/ custom tune.

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
Is your car fuel injected?

Allow the pump to prime some fuel before turning the ignition all the way...
Turn your key to accessories, you should hear a short hum followed by a click sound. That's your pump priming the engine, after that, fire up.
x2...always happens at about 1/4 empty..just low on gas....esp when its cold..takes an extra few seconds for the car to start...but i learned that leetting the fuel pump prime like said above..n its all set....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most likely your pump is dying. If its an original pump and your running the fuel low, you pump is starving at times and not spitting properly.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i never even thought to prime it...lol, mine kinda takes a second or two to start when i get low on gas...would you guys recommend just replacing the fuel pump?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies... I figured it'd be the FP. But is there any problems of adding a 255 to a completely stock setup? or will I need to tune it again? N/A still...Haha

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i'd recommend getting the 255lph (especially if you plan on boosting your car later on) i didn't re-tune it after i installed mine and it seems fine. As long as you keep the stock FPR you shouldn't need to re-tune.

FYI: you will know when the 255lph is priming (the HP atleast), lol. It is loud as hell; i can easily hear the pump over the sound of my exhaust when i'm cruising, lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the replies... I figured it'd be the FP. But is there any problems of adding a 255 to a completely stock setup? or will I need to tune it again? N/A still...Haha
$20 bucks says its your gas cap not sealing.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
same thing happens to mine when it at 1/8th tank or below. Just let the pump prime and it will help it out. Mine still takes a little longer than usual, but letting it prime does help it out. Im getting a new fuel pump anyway so oh well. i wouldnt worry about it too much.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
fuel pump.. and i'm gonna throw this out there.. fuel filter might need changing, too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Okay, but if the cap wasn't sealing the fuel system would it would hold pressure? Because everytime I re-fuel I get the usual PISHHHHHH sound...
Yah maybe not. Anyway it fixed mine when I first got the car the guy was complaining that it didn't always start. Four dollars and I was set.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
i've never heard of a fuel pump dying! It either works or it doesn't.

try what was said above and turn the key to prime the fuel whens it's cold and you shouldn't have a problem.
If thats still not working try changing your plugs...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yah maybe not. Anyway it fixed mine when I first got the car the guy was complaining that it didn't always start. Four dollars and I was set.
Okay, I'm poor... Where's my $20? LOL Once at a 1/4 tank or below and I start noticing the longer periods of time it takes to start I'll try priming for 3 secons before crank. I'll post results... It'll be a few days though.

BTW, I put in an OEM fuel filter 6 months back. Don't think that has anything to do with it since it doesn't happen all the time. It's probably just the fuel pump with 200k+ miles on it. LOL!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts