Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of turbos mounted really low like the ones with the inlet sticking out of the bumper.
How do you control the oiling and oil return if the turbo sits lower than the engine oil level? Separate oil system with a scavenging pump or what?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
Well the ones your referring to are usually drag cars which are run for seconds down the track.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I see a lot of turbos mounted really low like the ones with the inlet sticking out of the bumper.
How do you control the oiling and oil return if the turbo sits lower than the engine oil level? Separate oil system with a scavenging pump or what?
Some do

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the oiling isn't actually so bad since they have a nice gradual return to the pan, and they're actually not that low, considering

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would think inlet pressure would keep the oil flowing on out and into the pan??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thank you guys. Maybe it's just my perception from looking at pictures that made them look lower than they are. I hope to see some in person here someday but haven't had the chance.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
make your own drain flange and weld a very tight 90 onto it.
That is what I had to do. My front mount sits pretty damn low, and it is not going to be a drag only car. When I pulled everything apart, I could see the oil was flowing as it should. Probably a 10* or 15* angle from the 90 out of the turbo to the welded inlet on the oil pan.

·
D-series Janitor
1,220 Posts
I helped a SSO car that used a holley red fuel pump. Don't know how long a fuel pump would work in that application but most of the v8 turbo drag cars use a pump if they mount the turbo/turbos that low.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I helped a SSO car that used a holley red fuel pump. Don't know how long a fuel pump would work in that application but most of the v8 turbo drag cars use a pump if they mount the turbo/turbos that low.
werd
best bet is to make a drain and check the angle or drive it and figure it out from there.

seen alot of guys running front mounts with no pumps on hondas and dsm/evos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts