Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. here is the gist of it. (BTW the car was running great before this happened)

I take off the dizzy cap because I am trying to find where I have very small oil leak. I take it off, hold it and look under it. THen put it right back on. Nothing moved, nothing touched. Then about an hour later I head to the store and about 1/2 mile from my house the rpms drop to around 2-300 and the car acts as though it is going to stall out. So I pull over and pop the hood thinging mabey I bumped something. Everything is where it should be and tight. So I turn the Idle speed screw to adujst it up so I can get back home. It is not as low as it was, but it is running like crap now.

I have checked the timing and it looks good. I tried to reset the idle speed to whre it should be but have not been able to as of yet.

Any idea what would be causing this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I never messed with any of the vacuum lines. Is there something I am missing, i.e. a vacuum line running into the dizzy?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What motor?
What car ?
ETC ?

and BTW , you are not supposed to mess with the idle screw on the throttle body.it has a rubber seal there from the factory and should not be messed with.any idle changes should be made in the ECU programming.
try to take the screw back to where it was in the first place,and then check your ignition timing,vaccum lines,Clean out your iacv on the back of the throttle body.Make sure that you dont have a spark plug wire loose at the distributor cap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1998 Civic EX 5speed coupe. D16Y8 1.6L

As for the idle screw, It had already been messed with before I got the car. I am taking it in tomorrow to a Honda dealership to get them to set it and put another cap on there.

All spark plug wires are firm and in the correct place. Vacuum lines seem to be good, I did the carb cleaner test and nothing happened. Could this be the ECU going bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts