Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally if I wanted cheap insurance for a car I barely drive on the street, I would get collector car insurance but my CRX is only 25 years old and is not considered a collectible yet. I only will drive it maybe a couple hundred miles a year, mostly in the summer to the track and meets/shows. Do you guys know of insurance for very low use cars?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
many times there will be a local company you can use.

they wont always be big enough to advertise constantly like the big guys, but they certainly exist.

non of the mainstream companies will be of any help. they either charge too much or they have complicated rules, or too many limitations

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Grundy, Hagerty etc. Agreed value policy is what you want to look for. In most states 25 years old is considered classic/collector.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Are you trying to get comprehensive insurance for it or just basic coverage?

·
Registered
152 Posts
my crx si is a 89. i have hagerty insurance, i pay 300 or so a year if i recall, and its insured for 15,000.

cant beat that !

stratton.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now on my daily driver accord I'm paying $65 a month. For my CRX it would be about the same, which isn't too bad but if there is a cheaper option out there I would like that.

I would like to have some collision coverage in case I get in an accident, but it could really be basic insurance (just meet the minimum state requirements). I checked into Grundy and I can't get that since I'm 24 years old (only legal owner of vehicle). The minimum is 25 years old.

I tried hagerty and it says I don't qualify, probably the same age requirement. I guess I have to wait one more year :)

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I would do.what matt suggested, seek out the hole in the wall insc. guys. The larger, more corporate coverage companies probably don't wanna waste their time on a situation like this, whereas the smaller companies are a little bit more eager for their income

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
I would do more than the state minimum. A little more out of pocket is better than being sued for everything you own when you don't have enough liability.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know of a few small insurance companies nearby. They always advertise they will insure anyone no matter what you did :)

In Washington State they seem to have pretty high minimums compared to some states, so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, how about those with a dedicated track car that is late model? With title in-hand, track car on trailer, pulling vehicle fully insured, is there a cheap insurance that would keep your track car safe (and yourself financially "safe" ) while being trailed to-and-from events?

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not talking about trailering this car, I'm talking about driving it mostly.

I was told if the truck you are using to pull a trailer is fully covered, but the trailer and car on the trailer are not (unless they are individually insured). So if the accident is your fault and the trailer and car gets damaged, it's up to you to fix it.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Sorry, I piggybacked on this topic about something that might happen for me in the next couple years. I would like to know what low-cost options are out there for vehicle trailers AND the vehicle occupying said trailer. Have the new Explorer with towing pkg, have my father-in-laws trailer available to me whenever (which does not have to be plated here in SC [up to 2500 lbs]); just curious what insurance would be necessary to cover my '17 Ford RS track car while in transit.

Of course the laws and pricing on such insurance could change in two years; but I'd like to get an idea from those that have this already on whom to go through and what the pricing might be.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Just get a bond, it'll cover any car you drive. No need to insure them separately.

EDIT: Also if you have insurance already why not look into multi car discounts? I insure 3 cars for cheaper then just 2 (but I'm 32 and have a bond)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts