Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been piecing together a turbo kit forever now. I've been working on; tapped an oil pan, made gaskets for the turbo and manifold, etc. Anyway just curious, before I put it on the difference in power on a low boost setup like 5-7psi. probably on the lower side like 5. The fastest my car has ever been is when I had a cam with no bolt on and I thought it was pretty fast........

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you thought that's fast, then you'll shit your pants at 5psi :D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Depends on the turbo your useing. 5 PSI on a 13G is different than 5 PSI on a GT30.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Depends on the turbo your useing. 5 PSI on a 13G is different than 5 PSI on a GT30.
Why not 5psi are the same on all tubos???

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Different flow ratings based on turbine speed and avalible airflow. If you have a smaller turbo your going to push more air from the wheel speed potentialy being higher, and the compressor being in a more efficant range. But going the other way, too small of a turbo (especially at that low of a pressure ratio) will be running past it's choke point and be inefficent and blowing needlessly hot air.

It's easier to build twords a power goal and not a boost level for just this reason. If you have a power goal you can size a turbo properly and run it in more efficently and actually have a better power band.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
ok,,,
this is the only SOHC/RHB5 dyno claim I could find with minimal effort. (stolen from HT.)

SteveOunce
Racing:
N/A
Setup:
00' hatch
y7/y8 mini me boostin 7psi
stock internals
greddy 2mm headgasket
ihi rhb5 turbo
stock muffler and cat
hondata s200
Dyno:
170.2whp and 160.1tq

give me my rep.

*edit* I'll be running the RHB5 on my A6 to get me started, but will likely up the ante to at least a T3/T4 once I get comfortable with tuning boost. (and get some more $s.) my ultimate goal with my DD is ~200hp.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I guess it's worth the effort then.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I say definitely, especially being your first HMT.
Once you get your feet wet, you can always upgrade your turbo for cheap (HMT).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
ok,,,
this is the only SOHC/RHB5 dyno claim I could find with minimal effort. (stolen from HT.)

SteveOunce
Racing:
N/A
Setup:
00' hatch
y7/y8 mini me boostin 7psi
stock internals
greddy 2mm headgasket
ihi rhb5 turbo
stock muffler and cat
hondata s200
Dyno:
170.2whp and 160.1tq

give me my rep.

*edit* I'll be running the RHB5 on my A6 to get me started, but will likely up the ante to at least a T3/T4 once I get comfortable with tuning boost. (and get some more $s.) my ultimate goal with my DD is ~200hp.
Depending on the RHB5 your useing you can hit 200WHP with one, but it would have to be a newer one like a VF2 or 3 series. It helps if you can find a compressor map for any IHI turbo, there just not easy to find.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's going to be put on a b7 so, probably not going to get a bigger turbo or raise the boost until I get a 1.6. but hell do I ever need to get my feet wet.....
I've been saying I'm going to do this for forever now.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts

this may help

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
you will definately feel the difference 5psi makes, although you will like 7 a lot more :wink:
i got 7psi on my B7. I'm using a fat ass T3 which has some lag, but i personally like where the powerband is. around 3500rpm to redline.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts