Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new here so if I do anything wrong (like post in the wrong section) just let me know and I'll fix it.

Anyway, I have somewhat of a Frankenstein build. Its a D16Z6 with D16A1 pistons, tuned on e85 with other supporting mods. It's actually someone else's build that I bought and have been dailying with no big issues for about a year. Now I'm having an issue where the car will be running fine, then all of the sudden it seems like something gets stuck. The CEL comes on, I get a loud hissing from the air filter, and lose pretty much all power. The car still holds a steady idle but doesn't sound right. It usually doesn't happen unless I drive the car for like 30 minutes although it has happened while idling in the driveway. It will usually run normal again if I let the car sit for an hour or two.

If I jump the plug under the passenger side dash, I don't get any codes just a solid cel. I think this is because, when I turn the key forward to run, the cel is off for a second and then turns on. I thought it was the IACV at first because I noticed a louder than usual hum coming from it when the ignition is on and the car isn't running. I swapped the IACV and still have the same issue. I'm really at a loss here. I'm fairly decent with cars but don't know much when it comes to engine stuff. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Oh I should also mention my car has a Skunk2 IM and BBK throttle body.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
obd2a to obd1 harness by chance?

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
How open is your idle screw on the throttle body?

Edit: BBK throttle bodies don't have screws lol.

And I'm pretty sure that's you're problem too.

From my research, I'm seeing the BBK T.B is 62mm.

Why not use a OEM b18 (60mm) b20 (60mm), or b18c5 stock T.B which is 62mm
and see if the same thing occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I'm reading online, it sounds like either the ecu or eprom chip could be going bad. I ordered a moates burn2 earlier this week with 5 new chips. I'll try writing the tune to a new chip. If that doesn't work, I'll swap out the ecu. I'm really not entirely sure if that is the issue, but I have nothing else to go off of right now. If anyone has any input on this theory I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry I didn't see this before I commented. I'll try to get my hands on a stock b18 or b20 TB and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe I figured out the issue. It was going into limp home mode. I got my car working by reseating the eprom chip. Just in case, I wrote the tune to a new chip and put that in. So far no issues. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
usually limp mode is an intake factor, from what ive seen you upgraded the intake system but did you account for that in the tune? your readings will be off on air vs fuel and itll confuse the iavc and dump more fuel sometimes and then lag,

you can re-write chips with a burn2 using Flash&Burn take a blank chip and increase the afr not by much and see if that helps

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts

B20 doesn't come with a 60mm its like a 56mm or a 58mm. I measured 2 of them, however don't remember whatit was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts