Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Like most, I'm new here but not to Honda's although not a transmission expert..yet... maybe I will be after this one. I would greatly appreciate some input from some real transmission experts. I rebuilt my K4F D-series transmission last week. It was my first time rebuilding a transmission. I followed a write up I found on Honda tech. Everything shifted and spun good out of the car. I put it back in the car an started it up and it makes this really loud sound like a rod knocking. The engine runs great so I don't think it would be an actual rod knock. I have replaced clutches before so that process is not new to me. The clutch was replaced 2 years ago and worked fine before the rebuild. Trans shifts into any gear fine while this is going on. Sounds like its coming from the bell housing area. I removed the clutch dust cover in case it was rubbing something and it didn't fix it. I also removed the starter with the engine running to see if it was sticking but that didn't do it either. It sounds exactly like this video I found on another thread on Honda tech. This guys issue ended up being a new pressure plate being the wrong one hitting the bell housing. I can't see that being an issue because I didn't touch the clutch or pressure plate. Here's the video since I can't post links yet, if you search 98 Honda Civic Transmission Noise Tapping on YouTube it comes up.
. Also it quiets down a bit with clutch in. Maybe I broke a PP spring when installing.
. I am going to remove the trans tonight to look for anything obvious. Any possible culprits to look for would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank for the reply!! I replaced bearings, Synchro's and seals. Ok update. Today I realized I didn't grease the throw out bearing shaft of shift fork. So I tried to grease them the best I could without removing the trans. I used high temp grease and a brush. It quieted it up a lot but not all together. Then I got the idea to push on the shift fork to engage the TB on the pressure plate, the noise got quieter. Then I adjusted all the freeplay out of the clutch pedal and now when clutch is in there is no noise but still noise when it's out. I decided to take it for a ride and see if maybe it would seat something. Good new is the transmission shifts beautifully. One of the best shifting transmissions I have ever driven. When I got back the noise was quieter. I kept it running and got a crow bar and forced the clutch form against the pressure plate. Noise completely stopped at idle. I depressed the clutch a few times and no noise. I then decided to loosen the clutch adjustment a little bit. Bang the noise is back. The TB didn't make noise before rebuild and is only 2 years old. I took video but when I import them they are like 2 seconds long, useless. Any clue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Remove the trans, replace the throwout bearing, and grease the bearing and fork.

Not lubing the fork will cause bad things to happen, such as the fork breaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Yes I think I will replace the TO bearing as you suggested. I will update with the fix incase someone else has this issue. Nothing more aggravating than following a thread pages and the OP not post the solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok found the issue. I'm dumb and put a washer under that hex plug. I could of sworn there was one in there. I'm sure everything will operate smoothly now. Knew it would be something stupid.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts