Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Civic Si
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background of the vehicle, it was turbocharged about 10 years ago and i decided to build an engine for it. I built the engine, installed it in my car(with previously used turbocharger setup, started the engine ,broke it in with break in oil. 30 minutes at 2k rpm and the vehicle started smoking terribly. I drove the vehicle on the freeway and the smoke goes away when cruising. After coming to a stop, when accelerating vehicle starts smoking. I found the intercooler piping full of oil, I suspected the turbocharger. I replace the turbocharger with a brand new one, and the same thing, smokes and more oil in the intercooler piping. Exhaust is now also full of oil. I performed a compression test 190-190-200-210, I also performed a leakdown test and all 4 cylinders had about 5-7 psi of leakdown. I removed the turbocharger and put the factory header and exhaust, car still smokes. I put a borescope in each one of the cylinders and didnt see any oil on top of the pistons but it is hard to see, I also put the borescope down the intake manifold to see if there was any residual oil in the intake manifold and I didnt see any.

Anyone Have any Ideas? Sorry for the long post. Any help is greatly appreciated .

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
spark plug tube seals? valve stem seals? pcv clogged?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
valve guides and valve stem seals shot.

verify via coasting down a long hill in low gear and burp the throttle at the bottom.

My car puffs a cloud after coasting downhill in gear, and tapping the throttle at bottom.

My car also stinks when pulling through the rpm range.

Why did you replace the turbo without actually checking to see if its bad? throwing money and parts is the wrong way to diagnose.

·
Registered
92 Civic Si
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
valve guides and valve stem seals shot.

verify via coasting down a long hill in low gear and burp the throttle at the bottom.

My car puffs a cloud after coasting downhill in gear, and tapping the throttle at bottom.

My car also stinks when pulling through the rpm range.

Why did you replace the turbo without actually checking to see if its bad? throwing money and parts is the wrong way to diagnose.
I replaced the turbo because it was leaking oil into the intercooler piping and from the compressor wheel. Ive vented the valve cover and "black box" to the atmosphere i also tried pinching off the pcv hoses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My ZC is burning oil badly after I replaced the head with a freshly decked and cleaned. Gave the guy the head set and everything so he must have replaced the seals. I did the downhill coast and burp. Big ol' cloud of smoke. Could it really be the seals?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paterico

I could ask the guy, but don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff? He painted the head so he must have taken the valve springs out. Maybe not the guides. He had me buy the head set for him. Wouldn't that come with seals?
(I'm pretty new to putting engines together just so you guys are aware)
I could have done more research and got more info from the guy. 😕

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Yeah I mean you’d think the seals would have been changed but you never know.

If the guides are shot, it could still leak.

You can take the intake and exhaust manifold off and visually inspect the guides. Leaky guides would be pretty obvious to see on either side.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Cylinder leakage test. If you take the valve cover and dipstick out, you can listen to see whether the hissing comes from the dipstick tube, which would indicate a ring issue, or from the head, which would indicate a guide issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff?
No. A cleaning doesn't include replacing anything unless otherwise specified. Unless they were replaced and installed incorrectly. From your symptoms, I have the exact problem and know for a fact it is my seals. I have replaced a couple and the problem lessened. I only need to find the time to replace cylinder #3 and 4. Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could ask the guy, but don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff? He painted the head so he must have taken the valve springs out. Maybe not the guides. He had me buy the head set for him. Wouldn't that come with seals?
(I'm pretty new to putting engines together just so you guys are aware)
I could have done more research and got more info from the guy. 😕
correct - a head set will have valve seals etc etc not guides. nobody will change unless you do complete rebuild.

seals are easy to do if you have the tools and knowledge. Just few more steps like doing a valve adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts