Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to really hate timing. Been reading and searching threads and everything but i dont understand. Okay so the helms manual says set to tdc. So i line up the pointer to the TDC mark on the crank pulley. Then I set the cam pulley to tdc. I have a question about that first, should the cam pulley be at a very slight angle to line up with the head ? Or should the UP be exactly straight up with the 2 lines completely flat? So after I set the cam pulley to TDC, and the crank pulley to TDC, i slide on the belt with the tensioner loosened. The manual says rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the cam pulley. Okay, right here is where im lost. So if both pulleys are exactly where they need to be and i rotate the crank with slack in the timing belt, the cam isn't going to move at all because im just pulling the slack out of the belt and its not going to move the cam with it. But yet the crank is moving since im spinning it. So when there is finally enough tension, the cam finally moves but the crank is already way off by the time the cam catches up. I'm so confused! :| Is this what im supposed to be doing or can someone explain to me. I feel like im just missing something dumb. This is on a d16a6 crx si btw.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
The cam gear might be slightly slanted with all the marks lined up. Don't worry about that. Just as long as the arrow points up and the marks line up you're good. As for turning the crank; if you keep all the marks (cam and crank) lined up and slide the belt on, then tighten the 14mm tensioner bolt, the belt is not going to get tight enough. You need to take the slack out by turning the crank counter clockwise, then tighten the tensioner bolt. If you take your hand and push the belt down on the cam gear as you turn the crank it wont jump but it will turn the cam. Tighten the tensioner bolt and spin the motor by hand twice checking that the timing marks line up and you're done.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
1) line up tdc on the oil pump

2) line the horizontal dashes to the mating surface on the cam gear(z6 use the rear timing cover)

3) install timing belt (tensoner obviously loosened) i slide on the front and pull the rear side up, slack is achieved via the tentioner

4) rotate the crank counter clockwise just enough to put tention on the front side of the timing belt. (this is an important step as it removes all the slack in the timing belt)

5) tighten the tensioner

6) rotate engine three full revolutions

7) check that timing marks are still aligned and that the belt is nice and tight

·
Registered
274 Posts
Setting the head top dead center is super easy. UP points up and Yes the 2 lines aim horizontal. to do the crank just stick a wire in cylinder 1 spark plug hole. rotate crank with a 17mm socket till the wire floats at the peak of up/down motion. The Notch on the crank pulley doesnt line up with the pointers on the lower timing cover. On my car the crank notch is to the right a little bit. thats why im telling you to do the wire method down the plug hole

·
Registered
274 Posts
"The manual says rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the cam pulley." Idk why its telling you that. with the tensioner loose you should be able to slip the belt on the cam and crank . then tighten tensioner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What im not getting is if you have cam and crank at perfect tdc where you want it to be and the theres slack in the belt, i dont get how you are supposed to turn the crank pulley without messing up your timing. Like if both are at tdc and you need to move the crank to get the slack out, the cam isn't even moving because first its gotta have enough tension on it to move with the crank. So once you have the slack out, the crank is moved out of its tdc position, but the cam is still in its tdc position. So it will barely be starting to move while the crank has already been moving. How are you supposed to line them up like this? Are you supposed to turn the crank farther clockwise past TDC, so when your turning it ccw it will finally line up with the TDC mark once tension is out? That way the cam and crank will line up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Setting the head top dead center is super easy. UP points up and Yes the 2 lines aim horizontal. to do the crank just stick a wire in cylinder 1 spark plug hole. rotate crank with a 17mm socket till the wire floats at the peak of up/down motion. The Notch on the crank pulley doesnt line up with the pointers on the lower timing cover. On my car the crank notch is to the right a little bit. thats why im telling you to do the wire method down the plug hole
"The manual says rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the cam pulley." Idk why its telling you that. with the tensioner loose you should be able to slip the belt on the cam and crank . then tighten tensioner
It doesnt?? Wtf whats the point of it then? And yeah i dont understand it. Its like if i have the crank and cam at tdc, and i move the crank with slack in the belt, its going to be off by the time the cam catches up.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
its how it is...just do it...its how Honda designed it and how millions of timing belts have been successfully installed

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Don't over think it.

Make sure tensioner is loose, put the cam and crank at TDC, put belt on, rotate CCW 3 teeth, tighten tensioner bolt.

Turn it over 3 revolutions and re check the timing marks on the cam gear and crank pulley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what i dont get, thats what i tried. When i put the belt on, it has a good amount of slack in it. Enough slack so that the crank can rotate for a while without even moving the cam. So that means the crank is moving already, but the cam hasn't so its still in its TDC position while the crank is already off it. So im moving the crank, but all its doing is tensioning the belt and it isnt moving the cam with it instantly. The delay in movement just messes up all the timing marks and everything

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I didnt have this write up on this computer but I found the thread I stole it from a couple years back.

How To: Timing Belt D16Y5, D16Y7, D16Y8 - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum

There is a place at the end of the list were it explains how properly tension the belt when done, the slack is normal you are missing a step. Read up and see if you can get it. If not hit us back. I have a couple extra things you can try. Also make sure you have the right amount of teeth(aka the correct belt).

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
1) line up tdc on the oil pump

2) line the horizontal dashes to the mating surface on the cam gear(z6 use the rear timing cover)

3) install timing belt (tensoner obviously loosened) i slide on the front and pull the rear side up, slack is achieved via the tentioner

4) rotate the crank counter clockwise just enough to put tention on the front side of the timing belt. (this is an important step as it removes all the slack in the timing belt)

5) tighten the tensioner

6) rotate engine three full revolutions

7) check that timing marks are still aligned and that the belt is nice and tight
Surprised to see this thread still going as Scott nailed it with the above post...this is how I did my car, the way it's done

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in the process of doing timing belt on my car this week. And I remember the first time being very confusing.
But if I may, it seems like what he is saying the problem he is having is there is slack at the front of the motor, between the cam gear and crank pulley, but I think what everyone is saying to do as solution involves having the slack at the rear of the motor by the tensioner. If the belt is tight between the crank and cam and you turn the crank the cam will turn the same, allowing slack at the back of the motor so that when you release the tensioner the slack is brought up from there and does not turn the cam gear or crank shaft. Then you would rotate 3 times to verify. But if your putting the belt on and the slack is at the front between cam gear and crank pulley then yes he would be correct, he hen he turns the crank pulley the cam gear does not move.

It seems way over complicated to someone doing it for the first time and I'm not ashamed to say I needed someone to dumb it down for me and make it simple.

Hope this helps anyone out ere and clear up some confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts