Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my standard D16Z6 is losing a lot of oil at the moment, it is not blowing blue smoke unless I rev it up to the redline or everytime I start it up in the morning, so I had the valve stem seals replced but it still does the same...

I have done a compression test on it and the figures seem fine.

my conclusion is, it must be burning oil rather than leaking, because the smoke appears, is not the valve stem seals, so it would down to the rings, but I just can't think of a reason of why it still shows a reasonable figures on the compression test if they give themselves up, or they do such thing sometime??

tell me what u think!

many thx. in advance!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct me if I'm wrong.

if the valve guides have messed up, won't it affect my compression? (valves aren't fully close..)

and there shouldn't be leaking if the valve seals are sealing properly, even the guides are gone...??

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
what were the compression numbers? from what i hear if the oil is coming from the valve seals or guides it will smoke under high rpm high vacuum conditions.. go into second gear and do like 50 or what ever gives you close to redline and let go of the throttle and keep it in gear until it slows down... if oil is it coming from the head it will be sucked out by the high vacuum condition and will smoke some.. so post up your compression numbers..

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they were all around 190psi, and no more than 5 psi differ from each other

its a standard D16Z6 by the way.

·
Registered
934 Posts
do you have oil on your plugs? maybe the gaskets are leaking? worth a check. bad head gasket? how many miles on the engine? any visable leaks on the motor?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apex001 said:
do you have oil on your plugs? maybe the gaskets are leaking? worth a check. bad head gasket? how many miles on the engine? any visable leaks on the motor?
no, there isn't any external leak, and the Head Gasket was changed few months ago... the engine has done 150k miles, I was thinking it might be the rings, but just want to make sure before I strip it down...

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
How many miles are on the engine? If it's over 100k, it could very well be the rings going. Nothing major, but could turn into a problem if not solved soon.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FooSchnickens said:
How many miles are on the engine? If it's over 100k, it could very well be the rings going. Nothing major, but could turn into a problem if not solved soon.
As I said above it has done 150k, and I think its the rings too, but I'm just confused why the compression test figures are fine while the rings are gone??

·
Registered
38 Posts
terry_s said:
As I said above it has done 150k, and I think its the rings too, but I'm just confused why the compression test figures are fine while the rings are gone??

Oil retention is not controled by the rings that provide compression. Two different jobs going on there. It's a typical Honda problem of running great, but smoking/losing oil. The compression rings are larger and tend to hold up better while oil rings are thin little skinny fuckers that get carboned up from lack of oil maintenance or other crap making them stick in their lands or just wearing out especially if they were overheated at any time!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very useful info have same problem and i have been looking for some answers for 3 days now. This site is the shizzit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts