Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car, the coolant sensor wasn't working. So when I installed a new one, I noticed that it was overheating when I was at a stand still and when I was going really fast (~80mph+). I have since rewired my fan to a switch it an attempt to fix the problem. Now i realized that I'm losing coolant, but I can't figure out from where. I'll fill up my radiator, it won't really overheat for a couple days, but then eventually it starts to. When I check the coolant level, it is always low (which is obviously why im overheating a little.)

Now I can't see any puddles under the car anywhere, and when I check my oil, i don't see any coolant in there. Where is the coolant going? My friend suggested I might have a pinhole leak in my radiator, so I replaced that. If that doesn't work, what else could it be?

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
i doubt ur burning coolant this is pretty weird, Do u have any idle problem? how about lost of engine power??? when was the last time u change ur thermostat???

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no idle problems, im not blowing any smoke (white or otherwise), and i havent changed the thermostat yet, but that really wouldnt explain why im losing coolant.... right...?

·
Registered
crx and ford ranger
1,000 Posts
9 times out of 10 i bet thats your thermostat or maybe heater core might be going bad cause a over heating problem on my hatch for 3 months idk what the hell it was..

·
Registered
49 Posts
get a pressure test to see if the leak is from the rad, hoses, or waterpump. Also heard of some dye u can use to see where the leak is coming from. If the coolant isnt going out, then its going in, in which case it can be the head gasket.

good luck. but I think a pressure test should answer ur question.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Coolant has to be going somewhere. If you were burning it you would be able to see the smoke. So, it has to be coming out some other way. Use your imagination to find it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
get a pressure test to see if the leak is from the rad, hoses, or waterpump. Also heard of some dye u can use to see where the leak is coming from. If the coolant isnt going out, then its going in, in which case it can be the head gasket.

good luck. but I think a pressure test should answer ur question.
that dye thing work good but you need a black light to see it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i bet its the water pump going bad. I had the EXACT same symptoms you described and i thought "WTF!!!" I parked my car and checked under it for puddles, but found nothing............ I checked everything else and i came to the conclusion that even though i couldnt find any puddles underneath the car, doesnt mean my water pump isnt leaking, so i parked my car and let it sit for like 10-15 minutes at idle, i went out and there was a tiny puddle under where the water pump is. Im guessing that this is your problem as well. Park the car and let it sit at idle for a while. i would bet that you get a puddle under it..........

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bet its the water pump going bad. I had the EXACT same symptoms you described and i thought "WTF!!!" I parked my car and checked under it for puddles, but found nothing............ I checked everything else and i came to the conclusion that even though i couldnt find any puddles underneath the car, doesnt mean my water pump isnt leaking, so i parked my car and let it sit for like 10-15 minutes at idle, i went out and there was a tiny puddle under where the water pump is. Im guessing that this is your problem as well. Park the car and let it sit at idle for a while. i would bet that you get a puddle under it..........
ive let it idle for plenty of times, but havent noticed any water. but ill try it one more time, and then i think its time to pressure test my system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts