Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dono, this one seems to be pretty good to me...

is there anything i should be looking for specifically..?
ASUS Essensio CM6730-US005S Desktop with Windows 8 : Desktops | RadioShack.com

Tech Specs
General Features
Model CM6730-US005S
Product Type Desktops
Enclosure Color Black
Miscellaneous Features
Supported Languages English
Connections

USB 2.0 (6)
USB 3.0 (2)
PS/2(Keyboard/Mouse) (1)
1/8" (3.5mm) headphone (1)
1/8" (3.5mm) microphone (1)
RJ-45 LAN out (1)
VGA out (1)
HDMI out (1)
8-channel audio out (1)
S/PDIF out(Audio) (1)

Input Device Wired keyboard and mouse
Power Features
Power Device AC
Voltage Required AC
Operating System/Software
Software Included
ASUS utilities
Office 2010 Starter/Office 2010 (60-day trial)
nero 9 Essentials
Microsoft Pack
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security Trial

OS Provided Windows 8
Processor Features
Processor Type Intel Core i5
Processor Speed 3.1GHz
Installed Qty 1
Max Supported Qty 1
Chipset Type Intel H61 Chipset
Flash Memory Features
Hard Drive 1TB
Networking Features
Networking Gigabit Ethernet
Data Link Protocol 802.3u
Auto Sensing Yes
Optical Storage Features
Optical Storage Type 24x SuperMulti DVD burner
Card Reader Features
Card Reader Type 6-in-1
Supported Flash Memory Cards SD, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, xD, MMC
Expansion / Connectivity Features
Expansion Slots Total (Free) PCI (1)
PCI-e x 1 (1)
PCI-e x 16 (1)
Graphics Controller Features
Graphics Controller Type AMD Radeon HD7470 1GB GDDR3 (HDMI/D-sub)
Video Memory shared
Digital Video Standard HDMI
RAM Features
Installed Size 6GB
RAM Technology DDR3
Memory Specification Compliance DDR3

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
theres this one also... it's a lil cheaper but twice the size HDD...
HP - Pavilion Desktop - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - 500-164

What's Included

HP Pavilion Desktop - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive
USB chiclet-style keyboard
Software: CyberLink PhotoDirector, CyberLink PowerDVD; 7-zip and more
Owner's manual

Product Features

AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 8570D graphics
Delivers enhanced performance.
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
4MB L2 cache memory
For efficient system processing.
2TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
AMD Radeon HD 8570D graphics
Feature up to 4196MB total available video memory as allocated by Windows 8 for lush images with rich detail.
Multidisplay capability
VGA (D-sub) and DVI-D connections allow you to use a 2nd monitor for additional workspace (monitors not included).
7-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Select, Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick MagicGate formats.
4 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in 2.4GHz 1x1 single-band high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN
For quick and easy wired Web connection.
Microsoft Windows 8 operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With CyberLink PhotoDirector, CyberLink PowerDVD, 7-zip and more. Includes 1-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.
AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, QuantiSpeed, AMD PowerNow! and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
Asus is generally a better brand than HP, however I would highly recommend to never purchase a computer from Radio Shack (their prices are way to high).

Power wise, the HP wins for sure...even though it is using an AMD processor it has higher capacity than the i5 in the Asus.

The only thing I can see as a hiccup is the lack of a dedicated video card (goes for both PCs), however for the price your probably not going to get one.

What are your intentions for the PC?

With that said, if it was me and only had these two choices I would go with the HP...

Is building a computer an option?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I was able to find an HP with similar specs as that one right above but it was right around $300 reman. I usually dont go with the box ones but building your own can cost more then pre built now. Also for the price we could not pass up the deal. I agree with above, Radio Shack is not the cheapest place to buy a computer.

Just keep looking around until you find the one you want, it can pay off to wait for a week or two until a deal pops up, that is kind of how we did it.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those are in my budget...

i really only go to this site and youtube and what not...

i dont game very often if at all... i really dont know what i need lol

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whoshot:
that would work for me...

it would be nice to have a HDMI out put to connect to my TV :D

do you have a link to the spec sheet..?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
If your main use is internet and streaming then the HP will be perfect for you. With the savings between the two you can also grab yourself chromecast to hook the PC to your TV (I'm assuming you have HDMI in for TV watching), along with other goodies that come with chromecast.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup... i sure do...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay so i will go with the HP then... maybe it will be on sale when im ready to buy... my work starts getting busy again next week so i will finally be back to normal...

i do need need microsoft office but i could always download Apache Open Office for free...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
open office is the way to go :)

if you end up waiting 2+ months, take another look around...might find a better deal, in computers, deals today are overruled by something else a few months down the road ;)

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i hear ya... i dont have a choice but to wait for a bit...

maybe i will find one a lil better for cheaper...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally vote either build your own, or have someone from here or local to you build one. It is SUPER easy, will save you a ton of money, and it is also an awesome learning experience. I have put together around 50 or so just for me, friends, family, coworkers, etc...

PM me if you are interested in doing this and I will set you up a nice list of compatible parts and help out with anything you need.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ Actually I found that building my own, on cyber power or the like, with what I wanted was more expensive and I had to deal with hardware compatibility and no support since I am the builder. Unless you are computer savvy and now what you are looking for building one is not super easy or cheaper.

We got ours from Best Buy online, its was sent back and rebuilt and we bought it. Its an HP Pavilion P7-1414 series. Its not available any more so when one was sent back we got a deal we couldnt walk away from.

We dont game at all, I wanna say its a 1tb HD, 8GB RAM, 1gb video card with tv, beats audio, windows 8, standard everything else, it was $289 rebuilt, so I would recommend looking at Best Buy or other rebuild places online and wait for one to pop up thats has what you want. Or if you get to the point where you just wanna buy dont go big on the gamer stuff. My computer does all I have thrown at it, as far as normal video, tv, and surfing goes on a PC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^ Actually I found that building my own, on cyber power or the like, with what I wanted was more expensive and I had to deal with hardware compatibility and no support since I am the builder. Unless you are computer savvy and now what you are looking for building one is not super easy or cheaper.

We got ours from Best Buy online, its was sent back and rebuilt and we bought it. Its an HP Pavilion P7-1414 series. Its not available any more so when one was sent back we got a deal we couldnt walk away from.

We dont game at all, I wanna say its a 1tb HD, 8GB RAM, 1gb video card with tv, beats audio, windows 8, standard everything else, it was $289 rebuilt, so I would recommend looking at Best Buy or other rebuild places online and wait for one to pop up thats has what you want. Or if you get to the point where you just wanna buy dont go big on the gamer stuff. My computer does all I have thrown at it, as far as normal video, tv, and surfing goes on a PC.
Buying all parts from Newegg, I guarantee a LARGE savings, even if paying someone to put it together. Also with doing that, you are able to do more advanced things later on if you ever wish(overclocking, upping voltage, etc...)

Although, if he doesn't want new(like you didn't) he could look on Craigslist and find a 6 month old PC for half price which would do more than what he will ever need to do. I am actually using a 6 year old Dell desktop at the moment, that would do any basic computing needs fast enough for 90% of people.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I mean, If you can build a 1tb SATA HDD, 8gb RAM, 1gb video card, beats audio, dvd burner reader combo, windows 8, multi card reader, wireless mouse and keyboard, with comparable box to the pavilion P7-1414......for under $289, show me.

BTW I have two more ports for RAM, another port for addition video or ethernet cards and a secondary HD bay, so it will expand if needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I mean, If you can build a 1tb SATA HDD, 8gb RAM, 1gb video card, beats audio, dvd burner reader combo, windows 8, multi card reader, wireless mouse and keyboard, with comparable box to the pavilion P7-1414......for under $289, show me.

BTW I have two more ports for RAM, another port for addition video or ethernet cards and a secondary HD bay, so it will expand if needed.
Well, I could build it for free with parts I have laying around. Buying used, yes I could do it for close to that price. He was looking at new PCs as far as I could tell though. Although, I will admit, it sounds like you got a good deal coming from a big box store like Best Buy.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
It was rad, or I would not have argued with ya lol, here are the specs based on the serial number but remember it was added too, 2gb of ram, a different video card and a blue ray upgrade. Rebuilt for the win!

https://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&productID=BB12392512&operation=Specs

Processor Speed 3.2GHz
Cache Memory 4MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 6GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 32GB
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Type SATA (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 1TB
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7560D
Video Memory Up to 3GB; up to 3031MB total available as allocated by Windows 8
Audio Beats Audio; high-definition with up to 7.1-channel surround sound capabilities
Speakers None
Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Networking Built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
Recordable DVD Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Recordable DVD Drive Speeds 8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 40x24x40 CD-RW
Direct-Disc Labeling No
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Available Expansion Bays External: 1 (3.5"), 1 (5.25"); Internal: 1 (3.5")
Available Expansion Slots 3 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI Express x16
USB 2.0 Ports 4 USB 3.0 (2 front, 2 rear); 4 USB 2.0 (rear)
Keyboard Description USB with volume control
Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) Optical mouse
Operating System Platform Windows
Operating System Windows 8
Software Included CyberLink PowerDVD, CyberLink PowerDirector, CyberLink PhotoDirector and more
ENERGY STAR Certified No
Best Buy PC App No
HDMI Output No
Blu-ray Player No
Graphics Chip AMD/ATI
Drive Capacity 1TB
pricematch yes
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Platform AMD VISION A8 APU
Processor AMD A8-Series

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah it would cost me around $400-450 to build that new. Obviously me building it would make it better components, but for someone who won't overclock, that makes no difference.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts