Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..so the car i just picked up is a 93 del sol, d16z6 turbo..current exhaust is custom 3" piping, not sure if I like it or not.. I was wondering if you guys could give me some information on exhausts, or if anyone has one for sale? I guess i'm wondering if its ok to put a 2.5" catback or something, or if i need something bigger? Running street tuned on 8 psi right now, will be getting dyno-tuned at 15psi, so looking for something that would support that. Any help would be great, thanks!

·
My 91 Crx Hf
2,164 Posts
Ok..so the car i just picked up is a 93 del sol, d16z6 turbo..current exhaust is custom 3" piping, not sure if I like it or not.. I was wondering if you guys could give me some information on exhausts, or if anyone has one for sale? I guess i'm wondering if its ok to put a 2.5" catback or something, or if i need something bigger? Running street tuned on 8 psi right now, will be getting dyno-tuned at 15psi, so looking for something that would support that. Any help would be great, thanks!
spec's??? You should introduce you and your car in the noob forum.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
with a turbo the less backpressure you have the better it will perform. an open downpipe would be the best but since 95% of us a useing our dd an exhaust is nessesary. if you run a 2.5 i would suggest that you go mandral bent w/ no cat and strait flow through muffler. just to let the turbo breath. a 3in will work great creating the most power for you but a 2.5 will work just fine for a dd. just remember the more backpressure you have the slower the turbo will spool.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
with a turbo the less backpressure you have the better it will perform. an open downpipe would be the best but since 95% of us a useing our dd an exhaust is nessesary. if you run a 2.5 i would suggest that you go mandral bent w/ no cat and strait flow through muffler. just to let the turbo breath. a 3in will work great creating the most power for you but a 2.5 will work just fine for a dd. just remember the more backpressure you have the slower the turbo will spool.
wow i did not know that. i learn something new every day. so if i have a n/a exhaust it will have to much backpressure?

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
if you have a 3" on it already then keep it.
if your motor isnt built id personally go with 2.5'' which is good for 400hp.
2.5'' is easier to work with as well

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Make sure it's mandrel-bent 3" piping...if so, no need to change it. If it's the sound you don't like, then change the muffler or add a resonator.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i guess i should add that I live in Mass, therefore i must have a very quiet exhaust..I need something quiet, with a slight sporty sound, that will still let the turbo breathe. Since its a relatively large turbo, i am worried about lag, although even with a stock civic muffler on it, it still spools decently!

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
Ok so i guess i should add that I live in Mass, therefore i must have a very quiet exhaust..I need something quiet, with a slight sporty sound, that will still let the turbo breathe. Since its a relatively large turbo, i am worried about lag, although even with a stock civic muffler on it, it still spools decently!
all 3''
no resonators, but you can add one to make it even more quieter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW2_iUsgKU

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
sleeper exaust for the win....but that muffler will add alot of backpressure. if you want a new exhaust run a 2.5in with either a high flow cat or no cat with 1 resonator and muffler of your choice. a fart can will be a bit louder and a "turbo" muffler will be a bit queiter. i was gonna toss a dynomax on my car when i get the new exhaust they got one sittin up a advance auto 2.5 in and 2.5out. and pretty free flowing. like you i want to get somthing a bit quieter....btw welcome to the d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna get under the car today and look at the quality of the piping, there's a small leak i'm going to try and decipher, and decide whether i want to keep the 3" piping or not. Now if you anyone had to recommend a good "turbo" muffler, i saw someone mention dynomax, any others?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok..so with the last few days of research, i have deemed it nearly impossible to find anything that's made for this 16g turbo on the d16..i can't even find a turbo downpipe? I don't even know where to start..: (

1 - 20 of 23 Posts