Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I have a DD, 42,xxx mile D16y8 thats telling me to make it stronger :TU: I've been reading somewhat in the past threads on what guys have done to build up their D series. And so far this is what i've decided to do:

- Intake
- Headers
- Exhaust
- Crower cam stage 2
- Cam gear
- Chip (dont know what i should use yet)
- Intake manifold??
- Throttle body?
- and a good tune

How does this sound? Would i be waking it up a bit? What numbers would i be expecting? (Not that i care but it be nice to know :) )

·
Registered
89'civic sedan lx
1,493 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have a DD, 42,xxx mile D16y8 thats telling me to make it stronger :TU: I've been reading somewhat in the past threads on what guys have done to build up their D series. And so far this is what i've decided to do:

- Intake
- Headers
- Exhaust
- Crower cam stage 2
- Cam gear
- Chip (dont know what i should use yet)
- Intake manifold??
- Throttle body?
- and a good tune

How does this sound? Would i be waking it up a bit? What numbers would i be expecting? (Not that i care but it be nice to know :) )
wat kind car do u have..?..and ya thatz sounds good and seems like it'll wake up pretty good..haha..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
so your going to get a ebay chip and then put another chip in it to tune it?

lol im yankin your chain. get a obd2-obd1 conversion harness, get a obd-1 vtec ecu (P28,P30,P72) and get it tuned with either crome, uberdata or hondata (i prefer hondata). that will be your chip.

id also look into upgrading your valve springs and retainers with the new cam that u r wanting to put in. and unless u r going to degree your cam, the cam gear is going to be ONLY a bling bling thing and will give u absolutly no added HP

id go with a blox or skunk 2 intake manifold. i believe that the blox intake manifold is slightly cheaper but a good manifold for the money. and id just upgrade to a B series throttle body.

id also look into getting some 310cc injectors. u prob wont need them, but they wont hurt u at all to get them.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
With the build you have planned it requires no serious intake modifications. a cold air or short ram intake should be fine enough for increasing the intake air. anything more and you will hurt velocity, which could hurt the power output. If you wanna increase the efficiency you could do some simple polishing of the TB, Manifold and head ports, maybe get rid of some rough edges (port and polish) but thats more for the pro or serious technician.

Have you put any thought into the brandsyou of header and exhaust you might go with?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wat kind car do u have..?..and ya thatz sounds good and seems like it'll wake up pretty good..haha..
I have a 96 EX coupe. It sat for 2 years with the previous owner so i only have 42,000 miles! :shocked:

so your going to get a ebay chip and then put another chip in it to tune it?

lol im yankin your chain. get a obd2-obd1 conversion harness, get a obd-1 vtec ecu (P28,P30,P72) and get it tuned with either crome, uberdata or hondata (i prefer hondata). that will be your chip.

id also look into upgrading your valve springs and retainers with the new cam that u r wanting to put in. and unless u r going to degree your cam, the cam gear is going to be ONLY a bling bling thing and will give u absolutly no added HP

id go with a blox or skunk 2 intake manifold. i believe that the blox intake manifold is slightly cheaper but a good manifold for the money. and id just upgrade to a B series throttle body.

id also look into getting some 310cc injectors. u prob wont need them, but they wont hurt u at all to get them.
I was actually gonna get the gear to help tune it. But if its not necessary then no sense.

With the build you have planned it requires no serious intake modifications. a cold air or short ram intake should be fine enough for increasing the intake air. anything more and you will hurt velocity, which could hurt the power output. If you wanna increase the efficiency you could do some simple polishing of the TB, Manifold and head ports, maybe get rid of some rough edges (port and polish) but thats more for the pro or serious technician.

Have you put any thought into the brandsyou of header and exhaust you might go with?
I actually didnt really think of where i would buy from yet. What brands would you go?

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
Ebay (some are appearantly pretty good but i wouldn't trust it)
Hedman chikara- I am running one and have no complaints
Megan-Supposed to be alright
DC-Great quality from what i hear
SMSP-custom made header=great power
Bisimoto-Excellent header! if you have the money and need the power, this is the one to go with. plus bisi is great to deal with and will handle any questions personally.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
there's really no cam tuning with single cam - the only reason to run a cam gear on a single cam is to correct the timing if you deck your block or mill your head

you pretty much just run the cam at 0 degrees like the manufacturer intended

on dual cams you can dial the cams in to lose a bit of low end torque and gain a bunch of high end flow but not on single cams...

as far as your build here is what I tell every new builder and is probably the best advice you will ignore:

Decide on a budget and a goal. Ie. daily driver with a little more pep for under $1000. That way when you reach your goal under budget you will be happy with your work. I've seen a lot of guys aim too high and give up on a project or not ambitious enough and disappointed with the results of their build.

Adding a cam to a car is not what I would call a "bolt on" upgrade. Unless you have previous engine assembly experience and the popper tools I would not attempt to disassemble, measure tolerances and reassemble a head with a new cam.(even a simple sohc) Most engine shops won't swap a cam without going over the whole head. Head reconditioning will run you around $400. The cam will be another $300... so there's $700 of your build.

My advice is to start with the simple stuff first and work your way up. Intake - very easy, exhaust - a bit more difficult, intake manifold - more difficult.

Also, don't waste money on a piggyback. If you want to get your car tuned do it the right way and invest in a standalone computer like sloK said...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for some good info!

Uh...does installing a cam in dirt bikes and putting them to clearance some experience? Lol.

Well yea, I/E/H were most likely the first things that would go on.

Edit: (cams) I've researched some on cams and i here many good things about bisimoto. I also found a great thread on akmee cams by ghettoracer and it showed some significant gains. I'm a little confused about what cam to go for, theres 3 options running in my mind. ( Bisimoto, Akmee, and Crower). Remember this car is a DD. Thanks for your input!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts