Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 3000-4500 to spend on a car.

I've been thinking about the B5 A4 5Spd 1.8t Quattros, maybe a B6.

Would like 4/AWD, and I found my friends B5 not too difficult to work on at home.

Was thinking Subaru, but seems like they cost more, and are more difficult to work on.

Anybody here have any other recommendations

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Quattro is nice and Subi's are pita to work on...I don't think you're getting into an Evo for 4k, honestly surprised you found a decent condition Audi in that price range. Probably get a really nice awd Civic Shuttle with money left over for a parts budget...if it doesn't have to be super functional and awd is the primary concern, you can get a 1st gen Eclipse pretty cheap, maybe a 3000GT.

If I could find an 89-95 4Runner with a 3.4l swap in that price range, I'd probably go for that, loved everything about my old 4Runner except that shitty shitty shitty 3.0l v6

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
lol, it is not by chance I drive a Honda...easiest car ever to work on, not that I have to work on it a lot

·
Registered
557 Posts
my b5 a4 was a blast! i never had any problems either. get a 2000/2001 though as you can run maf-less and throw a big turbo on :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah I'm looking for a stock one.

My civic is hands down the easiest car to work, and learn on.

But I want some Comfort and a DD I don't feel like I will get crushed in, and not so helpless in the snow..

I'm torn between the Lightness and cheapness of the B5 and the Heavy/nicer, more comfortable B6.

The Thing is, Honda didn't make their cars AWD, so you see me considering buying the competitors car.

I will still keep the Turbo Sled for Sunny Days.

I believe the Audi will not be too much work, easier than a Subaru..

And I possess the intelligence to get a GT28 or 30 to fit in there, and be able to tune it on my own.

Anyone got experience with either car, or recommend a similar style platform?

·
Registered
557 Posts

Toaster, i had a big turbo A4 and it was a easy swap! Like i said if you get a 2000/2001 they run on maf and have a map sensor on the intake side, so you can run maf less once you get tuned. I used a GT2871R 3" inlet

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
1st, they would need to make a true AWD car period.

2nd, if you consider ANYTHING honda has made as being AWD then they already make an AWD accord. Its called the crosstour and they didnt sell at all.
10+ years before that....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
1st, they would need to make a true AWD car period.

2nd, if you consider ANYTHING honda has made as being AWD then they already make an AWD accord. Its called the crosstour and they didnt sell at all.
Just a standard 2/4dr V6 with the SHAWD system. Thats all. I think people would eat them up.

Not the crazy wagon deal. Just offer the car with the option of the SHAWD system, in a manual option as well.

Shit maybe even find a way to take it from the CRV platform and use the 4 banger, perhaps the turbo 4 banger that would be cool.

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
489 Posts
2001-2004 toyota Rav 4. Stupid and slow I know, but all wheel drive, 4cylinder w/ timing chain. Toyota quality, easy to work on, cheap to fix.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I had a 96 A4 with a 2.8
It was a really nice car and fun to drive. I always wished I had bought a 1.8T instead though, or just dropped twice as much and bought an S4. I didn't have any issues with it at first, but after I did they just became expensive nightmares. I wound up selling it for not much more than what the last major repair cost me.
They have a fairly large following though and you can source tons of OEM and aftermarket parts from places like QuattroWorld or Audizine.
I'll own a B5 S4 Avant some day, but not until I bank enough to go Stage III+ and be able to cover all the maintenance for 5 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts