Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm working on putting together a D16a6 for my '91 CRX that I run in CSP in SCCA autocross, and I've gone through a few heads, head gaskets, and blocks now. Granted I may have been doing things wrong, like re-using old head bolts, etc., but this time I've got a set of ARP studs, and was hoping for a metal head gasket that's an oem part for this motor, in order to stay 'legal' in the class.

I know most guys run the 3-layer y8 gasket, but there have been a few 'very public' protests, so it's not something that people don't look for (anymore). I seem to recall the first motor I had ('89 d16a6) as having a multi-layer steel head gasket, but from what I've heard from a couple of dealerships is that the TSB 97-097 (from 11-10-97) mentioned in sccaforums.com here lists a 'failed' gasket part number and a replacement gasket part number. The failed part number, "12251-PM5-S02" is, from what I understood, a composite (or composition) gasket. The replacement part #"12251-P01-004" (as well as the head bolts, part #"90005-PM3-004") is listed as the 'new-style' head gasket.

So monday I talked to two dealerships, both of which had the replacement gasket in stock (what luck) - however they both said that they were only for use on the 1.5L motors, not the 1.6L- 'because the 1.6 already came with a metal head gasket, whereas the 1.5's came with the composite ones that had the tendency to fail', and coolant passages and whatnot didn't line up, blah blah blah... So I told him I wanted this metal oem gasket for my '89 d16a6 motor. Special order/no refund/asked-him-if-he-was-sure-it-was-the-right-one. Picked it up today and -yay- it was the 'old' part number, composite gasket. They have the 'new/tsb-mentioned' gasket in stock, so if it's the right one, I'll definitely get it.

Does anyone know _for sure_ if there is an oem steel head gasket that came on the 88-91 d16a6, and if not, is there a 'legal' update/supercede available- other than the z6 and y8 ones (both not legal in the class)?

Sorry for the long post guys, just getting really fed up...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Can anyone tell me that they've used the metal 5-layer gasket on their D16A6 with a 'normal' A6 head without problems?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm doing a rebuild on my engine for the same class and have resigned to just getting a FelPro replacement gasket (don't know what the thickness is). According to Andy in that same thread he says the 5-layer gasket is legal and he used it on their Civic. He also said there's no performance benefit between it and the composite gasket, so I went with the FelPro composite just because it's cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys - it was a bit of a misunderstanding... on the parts manager's behalf...

He, for some reason, thought I said a Civic EX, as opposed to a CRX- anyway, I printed out a copy of the TSB and he looked at it and said, "this is for non-vtec motors." "Well, that's what I've got..." So yeah- I finally got the TSB 97-047 mls gasket I was looking for! Which, by the way, is the correct 'new gasket' - part number 12251-P01-004.

I've resolved to get a metal head gasket just because of all the recurring blown head gaskets I've had with the composite types. This time, I've got a (near) perfect surface on the head and block, and I picked up a set of the ARP studs.

Got the rest of the parts in today- waiting for my head to come back tomorrow, and between (well, now) today, tomorrow, and monday- I'm _hoping_ to get everything together and swapping out my old engine, and in with the new one...
After a bit of 'preliminary' tuning and some break-in time this week, then next weekend the MoHud region SCCA is having a test-n-tune Saturday, then an regular event Sunday. We'll see how it all goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts