Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i'm in the process of building my crx, so this is what i'll be shooting for.

i want to use a single 10" but duck(vtecduck) told me a 12" would be better. now by the look of how this set. they are running two amps, one per coil. so since if my sub is RMS is 900 watts 2 400 watt RMS amps should be fine. oh and before someone say how are you... you must used two of the same amps and adjust the the gain on both amps are out putting the same voltage within 0.1 voltages of each other.

what i'm looking for is like a blueprint of some one doing the same type of box(or a link). duck said to use fiberglass, i've never used fiberglass before. so i'm really not trying to do it that way but if i must...

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
maybe pm dubbedcorde.. he had a thread w hile back about making a box to fit the trunk like that madeo uto f fibergalss.. thats about the onyl way id know how to do it

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i remember that. i talk to duck he'll make me if i drive it up. it will a bit before i can drive again. so i'm trying to do the rex up myself, before i can drive again.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
fiberglass work is actually pretty dang easy. Lay down masking tape where the fiberglass will mold to the floor of your rex, I have noticed that blue painters tape works the best because it is easier to take the mold out.

Once the bottom part dries (after following the basic directions on the packaging) Make a sub ring, and two platforms for your amps. Using wood dowels, place those in a position in which you will be happy with. For example, If you want both platforms facing towards the trunk lid, then cut 2 short dowels and two long dowels, and hot glue it in the position you want. Then to cover this all up with a layer of any sort of stretchable fabric, This will give you that nice flowing top. Cover that with resin, and then proceed with a few more layers of fiber glass... sand it all down and paint it, or sand it down and put a layer of vinyl or carpet or what have you.

I have a link of this somewhere, i just have to find it, give me a few minutes.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/128454861SziNjl (example pictures of doing a fiberglass top)
http://www.autovendors.net/resources/guides/fiberglass.php?page=4 (step by step for two subs)

·
Registered
157 Posts
One thing Ive always wondered tho, does the fiberglass work as a decent surround? I know with wood its important to select the right kind and density, ect... But fiberglass is really thin... Dont mean to thread just I was just always curious about this... But overall, I would love the look of a nice fiberglassed box... So long as I can cover it with my cargo cover to hide it when Im not showing it off...

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 12" 900 watts rms (about the same if i would run 2 - 10" 450/500rms each)
2 - 2 - 400 watts rms amps
3 - 2 sets of componets 100 watt rms each set
4 - 4 ch 200 watts rms amp.

does that sound good for starter? and before you ask why 2 amps. easy i want to see/hear how 2 amps to a DVC sub sounds like.... simple enough?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh yea, Id probably go with a 12" too... Just small enough to not get in the way (my 15 is huge in the hatch area of a CRX), but big enough to pack a punch... A 10, eh I dunno... It could do the job, but it would take a tad more power... And youd definately have to make a good box for it to operate at optimum performance...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
One thing Ive always wondered tho, does the fiberglass work as a decent surround? I know with wood its important to select the right kind and density, ect... But fiberglass is really thin... Dont mean to thread just I was just always curious about this... But overall, I would love the look of a nice fiberglassed box... So long as I can cover it with my cargo cover to hide it when Im not showing it off...
i used a fiberglass box for most of last year... the sound performance was no different. Personally even with a great box, the sound was even better. Although the material is thinner, it is by far stronger and more dense than wood. At three or four layers you are able to stand on it. It is pretty impressive! I give a big ups to fiberglass boxes.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so help someone in the proper way measure cu ft if i'm going to make a custom fiberglass HxWxD if a sub ask for a measure of 1.25 cu ft. i've used 1.3 cu ft for a sub the required just 1.25 cu ft, that .05 cu ft makes a huge difference.

Reactions: 20civic00

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
so help someone in the proper way measure cu ft if i'm going to make a custom fiberglass HxWxD if a sub ask for a measure of 1.25 cu ft. i've used 1.3 cu ft for a sub the required just 1.25 cu ft, that .05 cu ft makes a huge difference.
simple math broseph

1'x1'x'1 = 1cubic foot

so say 1' H x 1' D x 1'3" w = 1.25 cubic ft

right? then you need to figure for inside diameter, so subtract 1/2" or 3/4" for witdh of the mdf. or add it to your measurements so you get those as the inside

·
Registered
826 Posts
damn man, two 10" sound way better than 12". 10" have more variety of tones, high and low.

i'd get two 10" subs with two mono amps and then a 4-channel amp for you speakers.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
simple math broseph

1'x1'x'1 = 1cubic foot

right? then you need to figure for inside diameter, so subtract 1/2" or 3/4" for witdh of the mdf. or add it to your measurements so you get those as the inside
you could also do a rough estimate of the dimensions of your soon to be box. Especially if there are a lot of curves and everything. If it comes to being extremly close, you could always fill it with water and measure that amount. Which would give you the exact interior dimensions. Since it is with fiberglass you dont have to worry about making the wood all soggy.

Reactions: Run Away

·
Registered
crx si
173 Posts
damn man, two 10" sound way better than 12". 10" have more variety of tones, high and low.

i'd get two 10" subs with two mono amps and then a 4-channel amp for you speakers.
12's 15's 18's go lower without falling off like 10's do.dont get me wrong 10's produce some of the tightest bass around, but as far as going to 30hz and lower their not good for that.also two dvc 12's hooked up to a 1000watt mono
amp thats capable of going down to 1ohm would be more than enough.a bigger box wont hurt the sound if anything itll help it go lower

·
Registered
826 Posts
12's 15's 18's go lower without falling off like 10's do.dont get me wrong 10's produce some of the tightest bass around, but as far as going to 30hz and lower their not good for that.also two dvc 12's hooked up to a 1000watt mono
amp thats capable of going down to 1ohm would be more than enough.a bigger wont hurt the sound if anything itll help it go lower
well im just sayin thats what i'd get. i just like a wide range of bass and it all hitting. ya know?

Reactions: onefuriouscrxsi

·
Registered
crx si
173 Posts
yeah you know it gives ya plenty of bang for the buck and its small size. for most ppl it would be more than enough.lol 12's and up if u wanna shake things.lol ;p

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you could also do a rough estimate of the dimensions of your soon to be box. Especially if there are a lot of curves and everything. If it comes to being extremly close, you could always fill it with water and measure that amount. Which would give you the exact interior dimensions. Since it is with fiberglass you dont have to worry about making the wood all soggy.
duck(vtecduck) said the same thing but use sand.....

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
simple math broseph

1'x1'x'1 = 1cubic foot

i would say 5/8's but it'll turn out to be heavy...

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
damn you remo!! or should i duck for telling him to keep the crx. lol
anyway, i would use a 12. thats what i have in my crx and it sounds good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts