Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First build and looking for advice on my growing pile of parts. The goal is a mild build that is daily driveable and can be completed on the cheap but is a significant improvement on my current engine. Realistically my budget is $1,000 and I have already spent $400 on 2 engines and a tranny. I can recover some by selling what I don't use and add it back to the $600 remaining. I plan to either buy cheap or make a CAI and will pick up some ebay headers so that will likely be another $100.

Picked up an A6 longblock in a package to get the S20 transmission I need to replace my failing unit. Complete less distributor. My Ek hatch has the stock motor and runs strong but is pushing 220k. I just picket up a D16z6 block and head minus distributor, fuel rail, etc. It needs crank bearings but is otherwise in good shape.
Any suggestions on what combination of parts from the 3 engines will be ideal, if any or should I turn the A6 and look for parts off an D16y8 or something.
There is also the OBD1/2 issue I need to deal with. I need an ecu and distributor that will work with VTEC I believe.

Hep!

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
The goal is a mild build that is daily driveable and can be completed on the cheap but is a significant improvement on my current engine.
I would not expect that a mild build completed on the cheap will be a significant improvement over your current engine which is what? The D16Y7 with 220k in your EK?

I'd say do a mini-me by swapping in the Z6 head. But with 220k on the Y7 bottom end, you should get that rebuilt. In the end you've got a lot of worn out parts that you're hoping to create a gem.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
exactly what he said, spend some money on a new set of pistons/rings, bearings and engine seal kit. You'll be amazed at the power pick up you will get back just from restoring some luster back to the motor. Then start adding performance parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allrighty then.
Thank you for your replies. Let me approach this from a different direction.

I have torn down the Z6 block and the cylinders and head are very good but the crank will need work. If I find the A6 pistons, rods, and crank are in good shape I am going to put them into the Z6 block. With a 2 layer head gasket that will get me into the low 10's for compression (if my research is correct).

My Y7 has an exhaust manifold with a cat hanging just below the runners on the front of the engine. The A6 stock manifold runs straight under the engine. Anybody know if the A6 stock manifold will replace the Y7 manifold and cat and match with my stock exhaust? Will there be issues running without a cat? I am not concerned about the legal and inspection issues, just the driveability issues.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
A local muffler shop should be able to mate up the header with the rest of the exhaust sans cat but I believe it will be illegal for them to do it. Further, if you're putting it in an EK hatch you'll have to convert to ODBI because the stock P2E ECU (ODBII) will look for a second O2 sensor that I'm assuming you'll eliminate and throw a CEL but drivability will not be affected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts