Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seals in my CXracing turbo just went bye bye less then a year after I bought it. Guess that's what I get for buying a 200$ turbo. Always spooled nice and quick and boosted 20psi though. That's probably the reason it went so fast was because it was free boosting at it's max ALL the time (didnt have a controller yet so I free boosted, and I'd always hit 14-20psi) What i'm asking here is what is a good reliable turbo to buy? My budget is around 1400$ and i'm looking for something that can possibly hold more then 20psi. My old one is a t3/t04e, and i'm not sure if thats what I should stick with or what's the next biggest that will fit on a d15b. Is ball bearing worth the extra cash?

Edit: For anyone curious, yes the car is built to handle that much. All aftermarket internals, etc.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I know a guy that's got a Precision 6765 FS. DBB, billet T4 twin scroll. $1400. Only 1k miles on it.

but like cyanide said. turbo? wat?

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
I have a bullseye 60-1 turbo with fittings and everything good for 450 hp...only askin 500 plus shipping :bigok:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think anyone here has installed a turbo on a Honda. Or I'm sure you would've got some answers by searching, which I'm sure you did.
I have been searching. No need to be rude, only asking for advice. I don't know much about turbo sizes, a/r compression, etc. Sorry for asking? :bs:

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
omfg! lol why is everybody saying random ish?

the psi doesnt mean anything, its the power level.

PTE will probably be your answer, somewhere between the 5431? and the few other options they have around that LBS/Min compressor map wise.

I like the entry level PTEs, they make very nice power

if you go to big on the exhaust housing/wheel it wont supply you with enough response down low, so think of it like this, equivalent to a 30r or smaller is PROBABLY what you want. think of it like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More importantly, what is your hp goal?
Daily driver? Strip only?
My goal is around 300. It's a daily driver, but it's only driven 3 months a year.

lol, I see a KaBOOOM! happening soon.
Yeah? Why's that? I've built it from the ground up I just cheaped out on the turbo until now.

omfg! lol why is everybody saying random ish?

the psi doesnt mean anything, its the power level.

PTE will probably be your answer, somewhere between the 5431? and the few other options they have around that LBS/Min compressor map wise.

I like the entry level PTEs, they make very nice power

if you go to big on the exhaust housing/wheel it wont supply you with enough response down low, so think of it like this, equivalent to a 30r or smaller is PROBABLY what you want. think of it like that.
Thanks for an actual legit reply. I'll look into PTE

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Zchwitzer will do 30psi all day long :)
You are looking for something with a compressor inducer of around 46mm+
and turbine exducer of around 48mm
TD05H 20G looks good to me :)

·
Registered
91 Firebird Formula
233 Posts
you said your goal is 300, exactly what mine was.
I have a Turbonetics t3 54trim, 0 miles since rebuilt.
My plan was 300-350whp at around 20psi. Would be perfect for your goals.
It's listed in the classifieds. PM me if you're interested in it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cant go wrong with a Turbonetics!!
really? mine developed bad seals, then i discovered i had a big shaft
unit and had to order a big$$$rebuild$$$kit from turbonetics directly.
not impressed at all. next time id rather get something that is industry
standard....

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
A turbo cant develop bad seals, something causes it.
Have seen plenty of Turbonetics running 30-44psi with no problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
ok, theres no "seal" in it, none the less it needed a rebuild
and it sucks to depend on turbonetics for parts.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
If that is true on the parts then it is a bad thing to buy a Turbonetics for sure!
But as far as I know we have spares this side of the world :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts