Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
what type of TB are you going to run the map sensor on? if its obd0 like mine, you can use a GM 3 bar easily (wall located stock map sensor)

if you have something newer, you are going to have to get a map sensor that will replace the old on on the TB. Omni makes a good one. then theres the DIY kits above.

fwiw i would go with the omni. (i went gm 3 bar because of the wall mount location, still cost me $90... lol)

·
Registered
713 Posts
are you looking to save some money or just not looking foward to spicing wires into your stock harness? i made an adapter for plug and play cleanliness in the DIY section.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
what type of TB are you going to run the map sensor on? if its obd0 like mine, you can use a GM 3 bar easily (wall located stock map sensor)

if you have something newer, you are going to have to get a map sensor that will replace the old on on the TB. Omni makes a good one. then theres the DIY kits above.
you dont have to replace the map on the tb, you can leave it there and run whatever you want if you wish

·
www.rifftrax.com
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok I've got a newb question and this probablay one of the best places to ask (sorry to thread jack Guest). What are the differences between the "sizes" of the Map sensors, and how does one tell which Bar is right for them?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
you dont have to replace the map on the tb, you can leave it there and run whatever you want if you wish
isnt the map sensor supposed to have reference from the tb?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I've got a newb question and this probablay one of the best places to ask (sorry to thread jack Guest). What are the differences between the "sizes" of the Map sensors, and how does one tell which Bar is right for them?
I'm curious as to how all this work exactly too. not just stock map can only read 9lbs.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
they are scaled differently.

all map sensors report 0-5v.

but a 3 bar map sensor is equipped to read higher pressure, so the scale of voltage to pressure has to change. thats why you need to tell your tuning software what map sensor you are using. so when it sees 5v from a gm 3bar it will report 29psi. if your software was still set to a stock 1.8bar map sensor and you ran a 3 bar, the voltage to manifold pressure ratio would be way out of wack. for instance, a stock 1.8bar map sensor gives off 5v at .8bar of intake pressure. quite different than 5v at 2bar of intake pressure from a 3bar.

a 3bar map sensor reads 3 bars absolute pressure. so take away the pressure of the atmosphere (14.7psi or 1 bar at sea level) and you get the manifold pressure the sensor can read.. in this case 29.4ish psi (or 2 bar)

here is a picture showing the voltage difference between a 3 bar and 2 bar map sensor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts