Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I love my CRX, but I got a new job that involves a LOT of driving, like 8 hours drives a couple days a week in extreme south texas conditions. Usually high heat, but sometimes (like friday) Ark floating flooding conditions.

So after the severe flooding, hydrolocking the SHIT out of my CRX, and being unable to see because of the humidity inside the car, I am debating getting a different daily driver car that isnt a total dog to drive, is comfortable, and has things like weatherproofing that works, AC, maybe cruise control etc. Or if I should try to fix those things in my CRX.

My first thought was maybe an RSX, or possibly a newer civic, but I wouldnt want a civic newer than 95 and I am afraid most of those would suffer from the same things as my CRX. Any thoughts on cheap alternatives? Keep in mind I am a pretty big guy.

Or should I just try to fix my CRX?

My CRX leaks in like crazy, especially around the hatch area, but around the front windows and the windshield too, I think so long in south texas heat has caused all the cabin seals to shrink and harden. Anyone know any tricks to keeping the rear hatch from leaking? I cant even figure out what is leaking back there as the seal seems fine, but water pours in back there when it rains hard.

The next is heat and AC, the heat isnt an issue, thats easy, but I have never been impressed with CRX AC. Whats your guys experience with it? Can thd stock system be decent in extreme heat? Or does it require extreme measures?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trunk leaks are usually tail light gaskets, followed by body damage.

With the age of our cars, the factory seam sealer would have dried up enough to the point where it has shrunk. I know I have one spot in the trunk where it has happened in my 1990 civic hatch.

As for the humidity problem, I found the window visors invaluable for letting out the moist air.

You can try reconditioning the cabin seals by using silicon spray lube (the watery stuff), it'll fill in tiny holes and cracks. Might as well spray the window guides as well if you feel like the windows are not moving as freely as you would like.

Can't help with the windshield or AC.

Maybe buy a CRV if your engine is toast, then swap the motor into the CRX once you are done with her.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
if you can afford the big change, a 07-08 fit with a rear swaybar added is comfy to drive, gets good gas mileage, hauls a shit ton of stuff, and is the 1st gen of my 2nd gen fit 2013 that served me well traveling form texas to wiusocnsin a few times.

they are of an appearance to get used to for some people. but the 1st gen has flashpro support so you can have fun down the road. the seats to my 6ft 240+ pound ass are comfy, but Im military, so anything with a cushion is generally comfy enoguh for me. but my bad back does let me know when Im sitting in a garbage seat

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmm

Well I definately bent the rods, 1 looks about 5/16" down in the hole from 4, and 3 looks about 3/16" down in the hole from 2.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Pick something up that was made within the last decade.

You will likely not look back once you actually have creature comforts and a well sealed vehicle with a proper HVAC system and some sort of sound deadening. At least I know I haven't. I thought I would miss the raw experience that the ED hatch provided, but I almost never drove it after picking up the LGT. Sold the Civic about 2 years ago.

Dunno why no Civics newer than 1995 for a comfy daily, but that's your choice. The suggestion for a Fit a great one. Definitely not a powerhouse, but all the other virtues mentioned are damn nice to have.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You will likely not look back once you actually have creature comforts and a well sealed vehicle with a proper HVAC system and some sort of sound deadening. At least I know I haven't. I thought I would miss the raw experience that the ED hatch provided, but I almost never drove it after picking up the LGT. Sold the Civic about 2 years ago..
I am not a child, I have owned and driven cars that are nearly completely silent and couldnt care less. I prefer rolling down the windows to AC, except when I am stuck not moving in traffic, and I dont need heat except to defrost the windows.

Does LGT stand for Legacy GT? If so I hope those have improved significantly. My first wife bought a new one in 2003, we dont speak anymore.

Dunno why no Civics newer than 1995 for a comfy daily, but that's your choice. The suggestion for a Fit a great one. Definitely not a powerhouse, but all the other virtues mentioned are damn nice to have.
I recently owned a 98 civic, and my experience with that was that 6th gen civics are just not as good and slightly more of a pain in the ass than 5th gens. I dont know much about 7th or 8th gens, but what I have seen doesnt look good.

I kinda doubt they fall within my budget, but I might look into a fit. The cargo room would be handy.

I guess I just have to get away from mentally comparing everything to my CRX. 1900lbs and 200hp with 32/40 MPG just isnt something that happens with "real" cars.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I am not a child, I have owned and driven cars that are nearly completely silent and couldnt care less. I prefer rolling down the windows to AC, except when I am stuck not moving in traffic, and I dont need heat except to defrost the windows.

Does LGT stand for Legacy GT? If so I hope those have improved significantly. My first wife bought a new one in 2003, we dont speak anymore.

I recently owned a 98 civic, and my experience with that was that 6th gen civics are just not as good and slightly more of a pain in the ass than 5th gens. I dont know much about 7th or 8th gens, but what I have seen doesnt look good.

I kinda doubt they fall within my budget, but I might look into a fit. The cargo room would be handy.

I guess I just have to get away from mentally comparing everything to my CRX. 1900lbs and 200hp with 32/40 MPG just isnt something that happens with "real" cars.
I never once said you were a "child," but the first statement in your response reeks of defensiveness.

Regardless of your personal preferences, anything within the past decade or so that isn't a total econo shitbox will not leave you struggling with fogged up windows every time it rains. I've been there, got the t-shirt and all that BS and don't care to deal with it ever again.

Yes, LGT stands for Legacy GT. Total piece of shit if you believe all the hoopla. Funny as mine has been stone dead reliable for the past 30k of ownership. I wasn't even suggesting you look at one, yet your statement comes across as a jab. No idea what your comment about your ex wide has to do with this topic or the vehicle.

Even the newest 6th gen Civic is now 17 model years old. Long enough to start having similar problems as your CRX. Having owned a 6tth gen several years ago, it was actually a damn decent vehicle. Nothing was more of a pain in the ass from my experiences. I agree that there were some things that were very obviously chintzy compared to previous generations.

You never stated a budget, so maybe start there if you are actually looking for a different vehicle for the daily grind.

Yes, take off the rose colored glasses. It's great that you love your CRX, hell I loved mine, but either come to grips with it's shortcomings or move on for you daily.

Also in regards to the AC in a 4th gen, the main problem other than being designed for R12 is that the evaporator is tiny. You are unlikely to be able to overcome that particular problem easily. Add in the lack of insulation and the massive amount of window area and it gets even worse.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
98-02 2.3L Accord with the easy to service front rotors.

See photo I posted about a week ago for 84 Civic vs. VW Wagon.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never once said you were a "child," but the first statement in your response reeks of defensiveness.
You started off with the assumption that I have never owned or driven a car with with a decent hvac system or creature comforts, and thus implying I only liked the CRX because I hadnt experienced a cushy luxury car. I was simply pointing out that isnt the case. Sorry if that came accross as defensive.

Yes, LGT stands for Legacy GT. Total piece of shit if you believe all the hoopla. Funny as mine has been stone dead reliable for the past 30k of ownership. I wasn't even suggesting you look at one, yet your statement comes across as a jab. No idea what your comment about your ex wide has to do with this topic or the vehicle.
And I am defensive? I said I hoped they have improved since 2003.

Having owned a 6tth gen several years ago, it was actually a damn decent vehicle. Nothing was more of a pain in the ass from my experiences. I agree that there were some things that were very obviously chintzy compared to previous generations.
I dont know where your typo was here, but I assume there was one. The 6th gens are basically crappier 5th gens, since the 5th gens were great cars that means the 6th gens are still pretty decent, I would just prefer a 5th gen. No OBD2 and all the associated stuff, lighter, and slightly better stock engines.

Also in regards to the AC in a 4th gen, the main problem other than being designed for R12 is that the evaporator is tiny. You are unlikely to be able to overcome that particular problem easily. Add in the lack of insulation and the massive amount of window area and it gets even worse.
All true, that massive hatch glass is basically a huge solar collector. I have played with the idea of putting in a half width radiator with a 5th gen condensor AND the stock CRX condensor (running them in series with the 5th gen condensor first), along with a B series compressor, and possibly one of the more efficient refrigerants.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You started off with the assumption that I have never owned or driven a car with with a decent hvac system or creature comforts, and thus implying I only liked the CRX because I hadnt experienced a cushy luxury car. I was simply pointing out that isnt the case. Sorry if that came accross as defensive.
I don't know you and your history, and we'll leave it at that.

I dont know where your typo was here, but I assume there was one. The 6th gens are basically crappier 5th gens, since the 5th gens were great cars that means the 6th gens are still pretty decent, I would just prefer a 5th gen. No OBD2 and all the associated stuff, lighter, and slightly better stock engines.
Meant to type ex wife, not ex wide but that was in the previous paragraph. Again, an immaterial comment with regard to the topic.

All true, that massive hatch glass is basically a huge solar collector. I have played with the idea of putting in a half width radiator with a 5th gen condensor AND the stock CRX condensor (running them in series with the 5th gen condensor first), along with a B series compressor, and possibly one of the more efficient refrigerants.
I am not sure there are any other "more efficient" refrigerants that are approved for automotive use.

The best I could manage with my ED hatch was putting in a parallel flow condenser after converting it to R134a. That did seem to help, but it became a battle of adequate cooling or over-pressurizing the high side

Of course ditching the cheap ass Chinese slim fans and putting even just the OEM radiator fan helped quite a bit. At best it would freeze you hands on the interstate, but cooling at low speeds was still marginal, and that wasn't in south Texas heat either. Of course adequate cooling is somewhat subjective without some sort of targeted metrics to shoot for.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember a while back reading some stuff about a hydrocarbon mix that was approved for automotive use that was supposedly more efficient than r12. There was something slightly wierd about it, like it was approved for r134a systems, but not for r12 systems, or something like that, probably a seal compatability issue. If I get to that point I will look into it again.

I also remember reading quite a bit about the importance of using adjustable or self adjusting expansion valves when ambient temp was outside a certain range. It is apparently one of those things manufacturers skip to save 25 cents per car or something similar.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
do not double up condensors.

if you decide to fix the crx, simply grab one from a 6th gen civic, as they are improved over the 5th gens. if they are the same part number, they simply discarded the original 5th gen design which changed in 93 or 94 anyways.

a full 6th gen setup mixed with the original crx evap is probably your best bet.

having a fresh drier and a very clean evaperator and condensor makes for near-fog ac performance

EDIT the r12-to-r134a conversion that was done on my 90 dx was simply a valve change and condensor upgrade, and it could not be left on full blast for fear of freezing to death. seriously. everything in clean and 100% working order is fantastic on hot humid days

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
I didn't love my 01' CRV at first. I would even joke everyone and tell them I'd never cross the 99' line lol... But after settling into it, it's so refined specially from a similar standpoint you are with your preference with cars. It's like all the "premium" features of Honda. It even has it's own CRV poker table lol!

But seriously, it's spacious, and the 5sp AWD has an awesome trans for an SUV... Way easier to find with perfect interior and depending on how it was taken care of, good exterior. Mine has roof fad and the slightest hood fade... And door handles don't break. I pull ever so slightly on my EG ones lol, and still broke my other car's handles!

Added benefit of easy to load/unload due to perfect height (not bending over). Only needs more torque, but regardless... I didnt expect anything from it, besides the fact that I knew that there were minty ones out there after running into 2 while I was working at Advance a long time ago...

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
1st gen CRV gets my vote as well. The AC does suck though. Get later 00-01 seats though as they were way more comfortable on 11 hour drives.
works great for a few of our customers. AC flush and fresh recharge after fixing their leaks generally made the crv uncomfortable with its new artic blast

·
CRX KING
1,732 Posts
works great for a few of our customers. AC flush and fresh recharge after fixing their leaks generally made the crv uncomfortable with its new artic blast
Both of my CRVs had shitty AC in Oklahoma heat. Neither had leaks and both were charged. I tried quite a few tricks. It's a Civic system in an SUV so it's really not up to the task of cooling that much cab. The front seats were usually OK after awhile but anyone in the back was better off with the window down.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Both of my CRVs had shitty AC in Oklahoma heat. Neither had leaks and both were charged. I tried quite a few tricks. It's a Civic system in an SUV so it's really not up to the task of cooling that much cab. The front seats were usually OK after awhile but anyone in the back was better off with the window down.
I guess I didnt realize what you guys getting an extra 10-20 degrees ambient effects it.

we sitting around 80 up here on good days lol sometimes 90

final trick of the day is to pressure wash (carefully) the condensor, and then rig up some plastic panels to direct airflow through it first and not around headlights and such

1 - 20 of 33 Posts