Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever locked vtec in the ex civics 01-05? I have a spare EX d17 motor for my civic.

Just wondering before I dig into it if its just like the D16 vtec heads, where you source a few longer pins to lock it in place. I have a few d16 vtec head's worth of pins on hand though.

I have not had a chance to dig into it quite yet, finishing other projects to make some money.

Worst case, I simpyl buy a spare dx/lx head for 40-50 bucks at the junkyard, but those have a 30day warranty, and I currently dont have a highwya cruiser for the 2 hour drive that would take.

My LX 01 civic blew the engine after a long drive with no oil. Front main seal went from dripping to pouring out, as far as the undercarriage says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jb tuned locking pins like 80 bucks for a set of 8 as they also work for dohc only need 4 for single cam I’ve locked quite a few y8s and one z6 only problem I had on the first one was it was a mini me using a stock y8 gear and it broke the built in key way on the stock pulley never had a problem when using a aem True time tho just my 2cents

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent dug into it, but the D17 is NOT like d16 vtec, as in d16 vtec is 4valve low, 4valve high.

D17 is 3 valve low, 4 valve high operation.

Ive been too busy to get out to the gargae, but I think I am tomorrow, and just gonan rip the valvetrain apart and check it out.

This post was simply to see what info might already be out there, prior to my opportunity to jump into the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts