Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

As stated some time ago I am rebuilding my d16z6 head.

I will add comp cam 59300 and BC valve springs, port job and custom intake manifold to support my higher CR.

However, after taking the head apart I noticed that 2 of my 4 lost motion assemblies do not properly work (spring back as they should, they make noise and get stuck).

After I read about them for a while, I figured that not only do I need to rebuild them to work properly, but that I might need to upgrade them in order for the engine to "sound right" after adding the new cam.

I do not want my rebuilt engine to sound like a sowing machine, which many people say happens after adding the comp cam.

Is it true that switching to stiffer springs in LMA's would result in "normal" head work even with the new cam?

If so, where do I get the stiffer spring for LMA's or is there some other LMA I could just fit in?

There is almost nothing on this topic for D16, only for upgrade for B series engine.

Oh, my current engine spec if anyone wonders:

D16z6 Engine:

- Head has been milled to be flat.
- Teikin PM7 75.5 pistons.
- NPR piston rings.
- Oem size head gasket 0.037”.
- 75.5 bigger bore.
- H22 Throttle body (60mm)
- L.L.E crankshaft bearings.
- L.L.E rod bearings.
- New OEM intake/exhaust valve stem seals.
- GMB water pump.
- valve seating job.
- NGK BKR6E spark plugs.
- New spark plug wires.
- 3" intake pipe
- high flow pipercross filter.
- 2.25 exhaust all the way back.
- 4-2-1 Ebay exhaust manifold.
- 2 resonators, bigger muffler.
- Exedy clutch.
- Oil catch can (catches oil from pcv and head).
- New cluch release bearing.
- New belt tensioner.
- Ebay half size radiator.
- all new seals, belts, oils and filter.
- P28 chipped ecu.
- 12.1+ CR.

·
Registered
same
1,892 Posts
I personally haven't heard of stiffer springs for the LMA's but you will definitely want to check all your head parts for wear. if so you may need to source another z6 head to salvage parts off of.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
LMA upgrades are usually a B and H thing, I'm not sure you can even get ones for a D head.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
I've never heard of this problem for a D16, outside of just simple damaged parts. Check ebay, nab a LMA/cam cap set, test & refit. If seriously in doubt, get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL and look into the diagnostic flowcharts shown in it. They list the same steps a factory service tech would go through, so they just might help out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never heard of this problem for a D16, outside of just simple damaged parts. Check ebay, nab a LMA/cam cap set, test & refit. If seriously in doubt, get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL and look into the diagnostic flowcharts shown in it. They list the same steps a factory service tech would go through, so they just might help out.
Well it is not a problem, but more of a "loud valve train noise" kind of thing. I do not want my honda to sound like a diesel on idle.

What I figured it could be solved by upgrading the LMA's, but I might be wrong.

And I know that almost everyone that runs this cam says it has lots of noise coming from the valve train.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
You should probably set the valve lash correctly if you don't want it to sound like you didn't after you replace the damaged lmas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should probably set the valve lash correctly if you don't want it to sound like you didn't after you replace the damaged lmas.
I know that most people that have the "loud valve train sound" have adjusted the valve lash correctly. I will surely do the same. But from what I have read that does not solve the issue.

Could someone running this cam chime in on the noise, and LMA's being the problem?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
most of the noises from running the 59300 were from loose shit or incorrectly adjsuted shit

the camshaft itself does not result in a ton of extra noise if everything else is okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.