Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For about as long as Ive been interested in cars, I have wanted a CRX. When it came the time to buy my first toy, I went the Miata route. This, I do not regret. Miatas are awesome. But all these years later when a coworker offered to sell me his figurative baby, an '89 CRX Si, I thought about it for mere hours before putting cash in his hands.

The body was restored and repainted to match the original Rio Red. Additionally, the exterior was updated '90 Si bumpers and fenders. It has also been swapped with a first gen B16A from a JDM Integra XSi, including the super short geared LSD transmission.

The car is all around super well taken care of. The PO was actually a Honda technician and replaced many parts with new ones off the shelf as he restored the car.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great score !

must be a fun fun ride. a b16 is perfect for a crx.

any plans ?

stratton.
It goes pretty good. The engines has a couple goodies as well.

I want to start autocrossing the car, so I need to figure out what class Im going for and mod accordingly. Currently I want to get some 15x7 6UL wheels so tires will be cheaper. It currently has 16x7 Buddy Clubs. My only concern is that Im not sure what all wheels will fit over the brakes.

Very nice.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
well shit, a crx with a b16 and a fund LSD diff.

sounds like all you need is fresh brake pads, good tires, and a poly bushing kit to have some serious fun!!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
So much win, nice.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

Ive only had the car a couple weeks. The first thing I did was tune it. It had an s300 but was on a basemap still, and wasnt running great, so I put a couple days into dialing it in well.

During this tuning time I noticed a bit of a noise while braking, and found this:

*shakes fist at the sky* Damn you cross drilled rotors!

In case youre wondering, this is the fastbrakes rear big brake kit that uses VW Coraddo rotors with stock calipers. I got some Corado blanks, and now its good to go.

Then, just this passed weekend, I took the car to a little test n' tune autocross event nearby. The car did well, but it has been a really long time since Ive done anything like this and my performance was pretty piss poor. It was a bit overwhelming with a new car and as you can see in the video, I wasnt even using the whole track. Typical n00b shit.

Also, the tires have gotten pretty hard. Theyre RE11s and theyre something like 5-6 years old IIRC.

Speaking of which. Anybody know any good deals on a 2015 Snell rated helmet? I got some raised eyebrows when I showed up with my helmet with its snell 2003 sticker on it. I wasnt joking when I said it has been a while. haha

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good golly molly, what a find! It's nice to see you're already out there putting it through it's paces at autocross. The exhaust sounds very full and healthy in the autocross video. Looking forward to more adventures with this CRX.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
During this tuning time I noticed a bit of a noise while braking, and found this:

*shakes fist at the sky* Damn you cross drilled rotors!

In case youre wondering, this is the fastbrakes rear big brake kit that uses VW Coraddo rotors with stock calipers. I got some Corado blanks, and now its good to go.
That rotor has been played with quite a bit, hasn't it?
I've seen cracking like this before - were the grooves milled after market, d'you think?

·
Registered
567 Posts
i hate red... but love crx's. and this thing is a beauty!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
CRX master race

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good golly molly, what a find! It's nice to see you're already out there putting it through it's paces at autocross. The exhaust sounds very full and healthy in the autocross video. Looking forward to more adventures with this CRX.
The engine has a few goodies. More on that later.
I need to get it on the dyno.

That rotor has been played with quite a bit, hasn't it?
I've seen cracking like this before - were the grooves milled after market, d'you think?
The PO wasnt shy about telling me that he pushed it as hard as he could on the track. I think the rotors are off the shelf "performance" Corado rotors that Fastbrakes re-drilled for 4x100. I wasnt 100% sure though, so I ended up buying my blanks through him to be sure.

CRX master race
I have been really enjoying it. Even with all the tuning and working on Hondas Ive done, I havent had much of a chance to drive a well sorted CRX. It is something else.

·
Registered
152 Posts
that vid was awesome, rusty or not it looks like a ton of fun.

wish they had autocrosses like that near me, the parking lot full of cones looks a bit intimidating to a noob. i do plan on getting into it this summer at a few local events. im sure ill be hooked in no time.

keep the updates coming.

stratton.

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
A bit OT but would you have any idea what the fastbrake 11" rear rotors are as I had the one of them crack the similar way. Shipping a replacement from fastbrakes to Europe is not an option. TIA.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit OT but would you have any idea what the fastbrake 11" rear rotors are as I had the one of them crack the similar way. Shipping a replacement from fastbrakes to Europe is not an option. TIA.
I think they are 1990 VW Corrado G60 rotors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts