Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my introduction I explained how a buddy and myself are building a car for the Connecticut Lemons Race this August. This is where I will update our success or failure to get this car built by August 12th this year. The time crunch is on, having a few doubts we will get it finished in time.

The Attachments begin with the day of purchase. The Car was picked up for $350 with loads of extras. A neighbor of a good buddy was selling his house and did not have room for this car and parts he obtained over the years. Got a D16z6 with the purchase along with a host of other items including a DA Brake swap, a B18b with distributor, B series shift linkage, Ebay springs and struts, a set of Koni STR struts, and a semi complete bushing kit for the car.

The car was still in stock form down to the tape deck when it came home. The biggest issue was the Cancer building up in the rear of the car. More on that later. As she sits currently the interior has almost been fully stripped. The remaining things left in there are sound deadening, stock fuel and brake lines, the steering column, and the mounting points for all the rear interior. All the side windows have been removed along with the original d15b2 ready to drop out of the car.

This car was originally auto, but that will change once the engine is out and the D16z6 gets put in.

A quick shopping list of things needed are

A proper ECU, the ecu with the engine is of the non Vtec variety
Figuring out if I can make it work with the current chassis harness in the car
Bushing installation
Brake swap
new rotors and pads with steel lines
Roll cage
Find coilovers or trade out struts and springs for a good set to use
Fire system
Relocating the battery
Kill switches that are accessible from the driver and an external one for track workers (hopefully we will not need to use either of these)
Gauges to monitor the car during the race
mounting the seat and getting a 5 point harness
Roll cage padding per rules
Multiple sets of hood pins
Skin most bracing of the hood
Hollow the doors out for the cage installation
Replace wear and tear items on the engine

That is just a quick list off the top of my head. I will update pics as we go along.
Currently ran into the first problem with the D16, Mr. Johnny Over-Torque decided to break off a Valve cover Bolt and it is broken under the top of the mounting point. I'll post that pic up shortly.

There you have it. I'll continue to update the progress :)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, you weren't kidding about the rust. That looks vicious. You got a plan for wheels and tires? In for more. :TU:

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
What engine you gonna run, the B18 or the D16?

I mean, do whatever's easier/cheaper, but I think the B18 would be more competitive. Unless you're not going for competitive. This is Lemons, after all. :D

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you weren't kidding about the rust. That looks vicious. You got a plan for wheels and tires? In for more. :TU:
We have a decent plan for wheels, picked up two sets, I'll have pics posted. As for the rust I'll attach the rear bumper for you ;-) it is an absolute piece of art ;-)

What engine you gonna run, the B18 or the D16?

I mean, do whatever's easier/cheaper, but I think the B18 would be more competitive. Unless you're not going for competitive. This is Lemons, after all. :D
Initially I was going to run the B18, but after a lot of thought and trying to get all the parts needed the budget would be over by a lot. It is only a long block. I am in the process of selling it currently.

For this year in Lemons being our first endeavour into it, the decision was made that we are looking to just complete the race with as few problems/accidents as possible. First you must finish is our motto right now.

After this race there is going to be a lot of trading up here in my area to get parts to build up the D16 for the next race. We decided against going turbo for heat reasons this season but it is not set in stone for next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holy fuck that cancer....are you gonna get that quarter panel fixed? Keep us update sir!
About that yeah.... got the 2 new quarters and started removing paint and grinding away on the rust to see how bad it was. I would not say it is terminal just yet, but thoughts of doing what Team Eyesore racing did with the FrankenMiata might occur...

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
I hope it's not that really bad but seems like it is that bad, Oh yeah I spy the frankenmiata and I'd like to see a pics of the frankenmiata :D

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope it's not that really bad but seems like it is that bad, Oh yeah I spy the frankenmiata and I'd like to see a pics of the frankenmiata :D
I have been a huge Dave Coleman fan since the days of Sport Compact Car. When it was buried, Mike Kojima started Motoiq a bit later...

Project Frankenmiata

If I remember correctly this was two Miatas welded into 1 miata. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the double post, but I see a lot of Florida guys. I was born and raised in Hollywood along with spending quite a few years in Orlando

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
fodo and biddiebert's garage mate is part of lemons racing, and a few people that frequent the shop are parts of grassroots motorsports and things

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for the info Slo :)

Being from Tampa Slo is the SPOT still open? Skatepark of Tampa? Last time I went there was like 2001 I think.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
yeah, the spot is still here and they've done some work on it. the bro-bowl was recently torn down and rebuilt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wooooooow. I was just thinking that you could repurpose this as a "wing". Hell, what else is it good for? :p On that note, I've got the a friend that is has repurposed a wing for his Lemons car. We salvaged it from another friend's wrecked NASA TT S2000. Rebuilt the wing with some resin and WIBBLE! A giant wing for a tiny car. Of course a front splitter is in the works.

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wooooooow. I was just thinking that you could repurpose this as a "wing". Hell, what else is it good for? :p On that note, I've got the a friend that is has repurposed a wing for his Lemons car. We salvaged it from another friend's wrecked NASA TT S2000. Rebuilt the wing with some resin and WIBBLE! A giant wing for a tiny car. Of course a front splitter is in the works.

Sheesh front splitter just use some cardboard and chalk :TU:

From the passenger rear just under where the brake light was in the corner I can put my full arm to my biceps in the cabin of the car from the outside...

Onto more pics, talking about wheels and tires. Picked up a set of Konig rims on trade for the rear interior which included the back seats, panels and cargo cover. It has mad slicks that guarantee I will not break any traction and hit the guy in front of me do to my incompetence of panic braking while at 30 mph :willy_nilly: ;-).

During the interior removal got a pic of what it looked like during the process. Gotta say found one of the lucky cars where only three maybe four of the factory plastic holders broke versus all of them.

Finally, if you look closely enough where the Valve Cover bolts up to the head you will see my conundrum with a broken bolt. Going to be real careful with that one. I think I should be able to get it out without having to rely on an extractor tool or drill bit. Just going to take a long time and a lot of finesse. If it works I will document and put up a DIY on it.

Best part is I still have a relatively full budget left once I sell off enough to match the $500 cap. I am slightly worried about the BS Inspection, but hearing there are Turbo Hondas and B swapped Hondas in, thinking the chance the BS inspector calls me out on anything is relatively non existent right now.

My work week ends tomorrow at 5pm, if I get into the garage tomorrow night I'll snap some more pics and see what project I will under take. I am thinking it will be either a bunch of Door cutting or merging my CB7 interior Harness into the Civic. There I said it, a full OBD 1 swap may be in the process for the car. Now just need a chipped P28 to run the engine. Big process, but ultimately worth it in the end for running the Z6. Make it complicated to run it simplified...

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Best part is I still have a relatively full budget left once I sell off enough to match the $500 cap. I am slightly worried about the BS Inspection, but hearing there are Turbo Hondas and B swapped Hondas in, thinking the chance the BS inspector calls me out on anything is relatively non existent right now.
I don't think you'll have much to worry about unless you've got something up your sleeve for this car. A little D powered Honda with no shiny things shouldn't get you any BS laps. But doooo you have any tricks up your sleeve? :p

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for tricks, nothing worth mentioning at the moment :).

Got a few things accomplished this weekend. Got the D15b2 out of the car. It just took lifting the car up precariously. It is amazing what you can do with 3 jack stands, 2 small 2X4s, and a jack. I also have to mention 1 dolly that made it possible.

The car is fully stripped minus sound deadening at this point. A few things still left in the engine bay. Now it is onto taking care of the broken bolt in the Head of the D16. I hope I don't mess that up at all, it would be a big setback if I screw it up.

Anyways, here is a pic of James my partner, myself and one of our beloved copilots Harry the Hammered Weeble.

The next step is to roll the car out of the garage, first time it will see the light of day since October. Going to wash that dirty engine bay. Along with the rest of the car.

Onto my question. We are currently stumped about doing a cable to hydro conversion. I found what looks like a Hasports conversion for real cheap. I have searched around and found the general concensus that it sucks. I do have a clutch master cyclinder from my old Accord, which will not fit into the engine bay with the brake booster. I figure we have a couple of things to do at this point. First run manual brakes with no booster and make room for the master cyclinder, run the Hasports piece, or sell the Hydro Transmission and find a cable transmission... any advice would be appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ thanks for that. That looks to be the best solution for the hydro conversion. I wish I had some fabrication skills to make something like that. Looks like I will have to look around and find someone that can help with that.

On another note, not much progress has been made since pulling the engine out. Also having a hard time sourcing a proper ecu for the car. I know it will fall in place at some point just have to keep progress going forward.

After a lot of research on the DA Brake setup it is looking like we will be trying to fit in a brake booster and MC setup off my old Accord. This is going to be fun. The Brake Line thread recently has helped out with what type of lines to go with. I am just hoping it lines up with the pedals properly.

I'll have another update with pics coming in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
4 cars that all don'
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Delays... delays... delays....

Well that is the story that is going on with Little Wolf right now.

This week hit me hard, not being able to accomplish anything I set out to do. Work is the main culprit here. We had another bartender fired this week which sends my schedule into FUBAR totally denying the SNAFU I had maintained for a few years. A 4 day work week has now turned into a 6 day work week because of this.

Time is withering away too fast and the go or not day is 15 days upon us for getting a Lemons entry this year. We are way behind compared to where I feel we need to be for full commitment. The bonus of all of this thoufh is extra cash coming in which covers costs I did not think would be covered.

But that is just my swan song right now. Things fall into place the way they do. Lemons may not be my only Avenue because there are more I can take for the building of this car. Still Lemons is the goal.

The only good news I have is the fact that I have obtained off trade a virgin P28 which puts a good push forward for the build. There are many things I have to figure out at this point with running the engine like a) figuring out why the D16z6 was hooked up with an OBD 2 wiring harness and more importantly b) how to re-pin the harness to work with an OBD ecu and an OBD0 chassis.... oh research how I love; hash that loath you.

Sorry the only pic upgrade is the new ECU.

Oh and the only way to deal with a rough week, a good hand wrapped locally constructed Torpedo and a bottle of Tequila

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts