Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of my other threads i've explained my project.. but i was wondering this, is it POSSIBLE to squeeze 200whp outa a D15B7-Z6 Mini Swap by ANY MEANS ?

The set up i had planned to reach this is:

D15B7 Short Block (Balanced to 9k RPM)

D16Z6 Head (HEAVILY Port & Polished, Gasket Matched, Ect..)

JDM PM7 Pistons (12.0:1 compression)

Indipendent Throttle Body System (Maby 55-60mm Set Up, Velocity stacks, the whole deal..)

Crower Stage 3 Camshaft (Actualy my cam is custom ground a little more agressive then a stage 3)

Crower Valve Springs & TI Retainers

Skunk2 Titanium Racing Valves

P28 ECU + JUN Racing Chip (4.4k Vtec, 9.1k Redline)

Unorthadox Adjustable 5-bolt Cam Gear

Unorthadox SS Racing Aluminum Pulleys

N1 Racing Light Weight Crank Pulley

DSM 450cc Blue Top Injectors

AEM High Volume Fuel Rail

AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator

AEM Fuel Filter

Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump

DC Sports Headers (Gasket Matched to Head)

Skunk2 2,5" Cat-Back Exhaust System

AEM V2 Cold Air Intake System (+ Weapon R Cold Air Box)

Golden Eagle Block Guard

MSD 6a Ignition Box, Blaster2 Coil & MSD Timing Control Modual

MSD Distributer Cap & MSD 8.5mm Wires

A'pexi SAFCII Vtec Controller

A'pexi Super Ground Kit & Volt Stabilizer

I'm Thinking it will take ALOT of tunning.. but if tunned right i'm HOPEING to get 180-200 WHP from this set up when all is said and done..
My set up in based in my Camshaft that i picked up.. it's more agressive then the Stage 3 Crower, it has a medium-high lope at idel..
I also plan on Port and Polishing like a FIEND.. i mean like CRAZY..
This is all going in a CX Hatch thats stripped and weighing in at 1900-1950 lbs..
If i have to i'll bump my Compression up to 13.0:1 if i HAVE To in order to achive my goals.. but if i have to do that then it's Race gass only obviously.. but i'm HOPEING to make this a 91 Octane Daily Driver..

Let me know if i'm missing any NA Power building componenets.. this was all i could think of.. if i can think of any more i'll post..

p.s. if anyone is selling a GOOD ITB Set up, i might be intereseted, PM me..

-Joe

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
I think it could be done but will take a bit of work. For the ITB your gonna need a better engine management system than a regular chip w/ a vafc. With that you'll be able to adjust the fuel but you won't be able to compensate with better timing You won't need the CAI since you plan to have ITB's and DSM 450's would most likely be a bit overkill for your power goals. Also, instead of the DC header, I would recommend a unit for either Bisi or SMSP. (<<< Thnk that's what it's called.) Also, don't go overkill with the port job. You'll lose velocity and hurt your overall power. That's just my .02. Good luck on it and keep us posted. :smile:

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
PM7 pistons will not give you 12:1 CR, it'll be more like 10:1. Custom lightweight pistons with D16A rods may be the way to go.

Avoid "tuner chips", get a custom tune instead. VAFC is not enough.

450c injectors are overkill. You dont need an aftermarket fuel rail either.

For a good ITB setup for your app, you may need to go custom. Jenvey TBs maybe with custom high-mount injector setup.

I don't think there's an "N1" pulley for D-series. Even if there was, I'm sure Unorthodox has their own crank pulley which is included in the kit.

Also, I'm not sure if Skunk2 even sells titanium valves, but if you're going to drop some money get custom sodium-filled valves from Ferrea. You're going to need as much revs as you can get...

You need a bigger header than the DC; go with Bisi, SMSP, or custom Burns Stainless.

Bisi already got 200whp. If I remember correctly, Transzex stated he was doing this while still daily driven. He's using carburetors instead of EFI though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Help everyone..

sorry didn't meen to mention the CAI.. it goes with the Ported TB and Y8 IM before i get ITB..

As for the ECU i have a good Virgin P28 were should i go for a chip for my app ?

Also N1 says on there page they do custom work and i just figured they would undertake making a d-series pulley.. i HAVE a unorthadox underdrive light weight racing crank pulley but it doesn't have any harmonic balancer, so i don't trust it..

As for the valves sorry, didn't mean to say titanium.. i was thinkin Omni Power, Super Tech or Skunk2 Valves, incase i deside to run like 50-100 shot of nitrous..

You all say ditch the DC for a SMSP ? thats the brand name i keep being told..

Also you all say the AEM Fuel rail with 450cc DSM Injectors is overkill, but will it HURT the engine to use it ? i mean is it tunable or will it run rich no matter what ?

What about my Spark ? just double checking but should i have any problem there ? i just put a new Optima Yellow Top and did a Battery Relocation to the trunk..

The only other thing im wondering is, i'm useing Pm7 Pistons.. i have been told that in my D15B7 Block Useing my D15 Crank and D15 Rods, with PM7 Pistons that i should have anywhere from a 10.0:1 to a 13.0:1 Comp ratio..
What is True.. i REALLY need to know.. i mean i want to hit around 12.0:1 and i need to know what i'll need..
Do i need to get a D16 Z6, Y8 or ZC Crank and use the PM7 Rods i have ? Z6 or Y8 Rods? Or how about B series Integra LS rods ?
What head gasket should i use ? i'm about to buy a greddy 2mm and i don't want to make a mistake.. i've read all the info in the forums but then people give me conflicting info.. please set me straight yall!!

-Joe

:rice:
:jesus:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I found that the P29 pistons in a B7/Z6 combo would yeld slightly lower compression ratio than the stcok P06 pistons.
Therefore I decided to go with the full Z6 block aswell, and use the pistons to achieve a 12:1 comp ratio.
Regarding high compression in the B7 block, I'm not sure what pistons to use for higher comp ratio, but a search should get you there...

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
s_18 said:
I found that the P29 pistons in a B7/Z6 combo would yeld slightly lower compression ratio than the stcok P06 pistons.
Therefore I decided to go with the full Z6 block aswell, and use the pistons to achieve a 12:1 comp ratio.
Regarding high compression in the B7 block, I'm not sure what pistons to use for higher comp ratio, but a search should get you there...
this is correct...

stock b7 bottom end with z6 head is 10.22:1 compression

b7 bottom end with pm7 pistons and z6 head is 10.47:1 compression

not worth it... get a z6 or a6 bottom end..

z6 bottom with pm7 pistons stock rods and z6 head is 12.03:1

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html this calculator is idiot proof

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
bonewagen said:
Also N1 says on there page they do custom work and i just figured they would undertake making a d-series pulley.. i HAVE a unorthadox underdrive light weight racing crank pulley but it doesn't have any harmonic balancer, so i don't trust it..
I thought you were talking about the CTR N1 pulley. That pulley also doesn't have a damper. What you can do is probably take the UR crank pulley to a shop and see if they can install a ATI damper on it.

bonewagen said:
As for the valves sorry, didn't mean to say titanium.. i was thinkin Omni Power, Super Tech or Skunk2 Valves, incase i deside to run like 50-100 shot of nitrous..
Valves don't really effect the power; they effect mainly the breathing and the rev limit. From what I've read, I think the Omni's would be a good choice. Don't take my word though.
bonewagen said:
You all say ditch the DC for a SMSP ? thats the brand name i keep being told..
DC is for stock motors. When you're building something this powerful you want it to work with everything else you have. The SMSP simply breathes better at higher rpms and has a better design.

bonewagen said:
Also you all say the AEM Fuel rail with 450cc DSM Injectors is overkill, but will it HURT the engine to use it ? i mean is it tunable or will it run rich no matter what ?
The fuel rail won't hurt, but the 450cc's will probably make tuning a little more difficult and driveability might suffer(harder to idle with large injectors).

bonewagen said:
The only other thing im wondering is, i'm useing Pm7 Pistons.. i have been told that in my D15B7 Block Useing my D15 Crank and D15 Rods, with PM7 Pistons that i should have anywhere from a 10.0:1 to a 13.0:1 Comp ratio..
What is True.. i REALLY need to know.. i mean i want to hit around 12.0:1 and i need to know what i'll need..
Do i need to get a D16 Z6, Y8 or ZC Crank and use the PM7 Rods i have ? Z6 or Y8 Rods? Or how about B series Integra LS rods ?
Z6 HG+PMS pistons+D16A rods+.03" milled head will get you close to 12:1. Using a 2-layer HG instead of the regular Z6 will yield about 12.1:1. It's simpler to start with a D16 block though.
bonewagen said:
What head gasket should i use ? i'm about to buy a greddy 2mm and i don't want to make a mistake.. i've read all the info in the forums but then people give me conflicting info.. please set me straight yall!!
2mm=thicker than stock. Just stick with a Z6 or Y8 gasket.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay i'm taking this all to heart for real...

I'm ditchin the DC Sports Header for a Better one..

I'm Ditchin the 450cc DSM and going back to my OEM Honda Injectors Flow Balanced to 55PSI..

I was thinkin Omni Power Valves cuz i heard they resist the Heat of Nitrous better then Stock Valves..

CAN they install a Dampener in my Unorthadox Underdrive Crank Pulley ? if so i'm on that like yesterday.. i'm goin down to the machine shop to talk to em right now..

The BIG question i have is about COMPRESSION.. so my PM& on my D15 Rods and D15 Crank will only yield around 10.5:1 Compression ?
I have a MINT D16Z6 CrankShaft sitting in my garauge.. what about useing the D16Z6 Crank with my D16 ZC PM7 Rods.. and useing the STOCK Y8 Head Gasket Cuz i heard thinner then Z6.. What would this leave my compression at ?
I am GUNNA hit 12.0:1 compression not matter what =P

Lemme know what you guys thnk, and you all have been SAINTS.. ABSOLUTE BLOODY SAINTS.. thanks again =) :beer:

-Joe

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay i used the Compression Calculator.. and Useing a D15 Block.. D16Z6 Crank.. PM7 Rods & Pistons would put me at aprox 30.0:1 Compression.. now i KNOW this is BS.. i aint that hard up for high compression hehe..

Is it POSSIBLE to put the D16Z6 Crank and PM7 Rods & Pistons in a D15b7 to hit around 12.0:1 ? someone lemme know PLZ..

Also does anyone have a Spare Z6 Crank or Z6 Block laying around ? i might be interested in buying..

-Joe

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
You do realize the D15 has a shorter deck height than the D16 right? That's why the compression is so high, with D16 rods and crank, the piston is well beyond the D15's deck height. I believe the crankshaft journals are different sizes also(I know this is true for the Z1 and B-VTEC, but dont know about the B2 and B7). Definantly go with the D16 block.

As for the crank dampener; I would think its possible because some of their own pulley/damper combos use bolts to hold them together. Also, although this isnt a damper, lots of people installed aftermarket timing wheels on them(like the TEC timing wheels). It all depends on what your machinist can do.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay CHANGE of Plane everyone.. recently i talked to the High Compression Guru in my area..
he has 3 or 4 high compression B and H series civics.. and he says because of my shitty 91 octane gas here in northern california, that anything higher then 10.5:1 is DREAMING with my tuning experinse...
he said with DEAD on tunning 10.5:1-10.75:1 is possible.. but it will most likely knock because of our low quailty gas..
so i did alot more reading, research and used the cool compression calculator and i desided i'm going to use my STOCK D15B7 Block with Z6 Head and PM7 Pistons.. also i'm going to use the STOCK Z6 Headgasket..
This SHOULD put me at around 10.5:1 and right were i wanna be..

But my question is now with the STOCK B15 Crank, Rods, PM7 Pistons and stock flywheel is it possible to balance the bottem end to 9k or will it not hold ?
Would useing my lightweight underdrive crank pully and lightweight flywheel help ? do i have to use them ?

So this is the Battle plan now lemme know what yall think..
-Joe

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this thing will see 200 to the wheels even if it takes a 150 shot of nos on a dieing engine going down in flames!!

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

Bwahahahahahahaha......................PR4U

If you really want to run high compression, just go pick up a gallon of toulene. Mix 1/4 gallon for every 10 gallons of regular gas and you will have fuel that is roughly 115 octane. Then after that, run a 13:1 CR. I'd only do this if you can afford the extra 10$ a gallon a week for the toulene. Hell 1 gallon will be good for 40 gallons of gas and it is a Honda so it's not like the mileage would suck that bad as long as ur not at WOT. You could most likely even dilute the mixture somemore and have enough for 50-60 gallons of 97-100ish octane fuel.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Glad to see I didn't was my weekend on this topic.

200 whp D15 can be done, very easy,

IMHO STFU and go away. you flaming is insulting mine and other people who know WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.......

But my question is now with the STOCK B15 Crank, Rods
Show me a B15 stock block and I will hug not only your left, nor your right, BUT BOTH of what you call a NUTSACK you mother left you to breed with.

D15Baby8, follow and learn. It is my build and I'm still learning MYSELF!

·
Registered
407 Posts
boostdeliquent said:
^^^^^^^^^^

Bwahahahahahahaha......................PR4U

If you really want to run high compression, just go pick up a gallon of toulene. Mix 1/4 gallon for every 10 gallons of regular gas and you will have fuel that is roughly 115 octane. Then after that, run a 13:1 CR. I'd only do this if you can afford the extra 10$ a gallon a week for the toulene. Hell 1 gallon will be good for 40 gallons of gas and it is a Honda so it's not like the mileage would suck that bad as long as ur not at WOT. You could most likely even dilute the mixture somemore and have enough for 50-60 gallons of 97-100ish octane fuel.

hey, a note. your mixing proportions are WAY OFF as is the octane rating. You need to do more research.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

here is another example
Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4

1 - 20 of 26 Posts