Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can feel a lip at the top of the cylinder where the rings probably do not reach on the z6 block I just bought. I am curious as to if I should have it machined down to match the rest of the cylinder or if it will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the cylinder probably has a lip its called a ridge, how many miles are on it, and what are the specs on the bores are they in service limit are the straight and still round

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the lip indicates where the bore has worn itself into an egg shape.

you should over bore to fix it properly.

if u are throwing in some pistons that have a lower ring position, you could technically run it like that since the ring wont ever reach the ridge.

if u installed a piston with a thinner ring land, and the ring was higher, then you could have some serious problems without an over bore.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
^^Well put. That's were the top ring ends. Most end up looking like that with mileage.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mileage on the motor is unknown. It isn't carbon build up. My fingernail will catch the ridge.

I was planning on cleaning and reusing the pistons in it. It sucks that I have to have it bored and have to buy new pistons. There goes my affordable rebuild :/

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
If you're using the same pistons they won't be going above that ridge hypothetically speaking. Plenty of people just rehone and go, with good results after a hard brake in.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
I used my shop formans version of one on a d block but his was a little jacked up and didn't work very well.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah already figured that one out last night while I was at auto zone. I'll start calling up machine shops to see what kind of prices there are to have the block machined. What should I be expecting? Also because I am sending the block out what else should I might as well have done?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
bored, honed, resurfaced if needed and then cleaned... make sure you give them the girdle also so they can clean it with the block

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
that motor must have a ton of miles on it. i've torn apart quite a few z6 and never had more than a tiny ridge, could be rust build up on the ridge making it look ALOT worse though.

i'd hone a cylinder yourself and see how it looks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts