Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be a long shot, but who here uses Linux?

I just installed Ubuntu on my gaming rig and well its going to be a learning curve for sure.

Anyone care to let me pick their brain on some things?

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
I use Linux on a spare laptop I have. I have installed(5+) and used Ubuntu a fair amount. I'm not claiming expertise.

I use a different distribution of Linux now.

I have done encrypted installs as well.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Linux on a spare laptop I have. I have installed(5+) and used Ubuntu a fair amount. I'm not claiming expertise.

I use a different distribution of Linux now.

I have done encrypted installs as well.
ive used it and i think a few others like full_tilt have as well.

im not an overly experienced user but im familiar with basic stuff so should be able to help a bit.

Sounds like yall have more experience than me lol.

Ok so here is where I stand currently. Believe me I have searched, tested and almost got it to work.

I understand unlike Windows, Linux you can't install a program with .exe files. So I followed the instructions of-

Downloaded Linux 64bit version of TS3. Then opened up the terminal and did the following cmds-

cd ~/Downloads

chmod u+x ./TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64-3.0.13.1.run

./TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64-3.0.13.1.run

Hit enter to view the terms.

Q to exit out.

I see the folder it put everything into after it installed. But when I go to click on TS3 in the folder nothing happens.

Now here is where I am slightly confused. Do I navigate to the folder that I created for TS3 and then run ./ts3client_runscript.sh, or can I just open the terminal and run that script?

BTW this is just the tip of the iceberg as I still have to install games to run lol. But already downloaded PlayOnLinux but haven't gotten pass that.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
I haven't used TS3.

I have used Wine for Linux. I had success with it on Ubuntu.

You should just be able to run the script in a terminal.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I haven't used TS3.

I have used Wine for Linux. I had success with it on Ubuntu.

You should just be able to run the script in a terminal.
here is some documentation i found for installing ts3 in ubuntu it has what you need to run you could just copy and paste it into the terminal.

Sysads Gazette Install TeamSpeak 3 in Ubuntu 14.04 - Sysads Gazette
Ok from the looks of it I can just run the script from the terminal and should work properly.

Thanks gent. Sac, I will get back with you about WINE later on tonight.

Civicdxude I will rep you when I sopread it around some more.

Sac, + rep to you.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Thanks gent. Sac, I will get back with you about WINE later on tonight.

Sac, + rep to you.
You're welcome, let me know what you think of Wine compared to TS3.

I've been wanting to ditch windows completely but that takes time(transferring/cleaning files). Haha

Thanks for the rep.

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
I am the senior IT Team Lead here at work, and we use Windows as the base OS. However, all of the developers, including myself, use Linux (CentOS) inside of a VDI system. My laptop at home is an 7 year old Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu. There are a LOT of things Linux can do that Windows can't do. The granularity you're allowed with Linux is amazing, but also very dangerous. With Wine, you can install/run "most" .exe applications. Get used to using "sudo" for a lot of things. ;-)

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're welcome, let me know what you think of Wine compared to TS3.

I've been wanting to ditch windows completely but that takes time(transferring/cleaning files). Haha

Thanks for the rep.
I am the senior IT Team Lead here at work, and we use Windows as the base OS. However, all of the developers, including myself, use Linux (CentOS) inside of a VDI system. My laptop at home is an 7 year old Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu. There are a LOT of things Linux can do that Windows can't do. The granularity you're allowed with Linux is amazing, but also very dangerous. With Wine, you can install/run "most" .exe applications. Get used to using "sudo" for a lot of things. ;-)
Ok I got team speak to run without using the script in the terminal. Woot woot.

Got steam working, now it's time for game installs. Do I need to download wine? Like I mention I have playonlinux installed.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Good job!

Wine is installed in the background with playonlinux. So no need to install wine.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job!

Wine is installed in the background with playonlinux. So no need to install wine.
Alright, I will tinker with that tomorrow

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Those are valid points and I hope the games he uses work for him.

However one huge reason to run Linux for a gaming rig over Windows: Operating System Hardware Load.
Linux runs with very minimal background processes.
Meaning you don't necessarily need to have the top of the line hardware to run new games well.

Maybe he has his own reason.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I like linux, but not for games. Run windows 10, it is the best OS microsoft has released in..... Possibly forever honestly. It has some Mac like spy stuff, but it is all pretty transparent, easy to turn off, and grouped together.

You can game on linux but it is a pain in the ass, and wont work with every game.

However one huge reason to run Linux for a gaming rig over Windows: Operating System Hardware Load.
Linux runs with very minimal background processes.
Meaning you don't necessarily need to have the top of the line hardware to run new games well.

Maybe he has his own reason.
You are forgetting the translational software. Sure if you had a game that ran natively on puppylinux and natively on windows vista, the puppylinux version would have tons more resources available.

But depending on the version and installed stuff Ubuntu can get pretty chubby about the middle too, combine that with a translational software layer like wine and the fact that translations never run as smooth as native processes for the same processing power, and you have lost any possible advantage you may have had.

Overall I have never seen WINE run a game 100% correctly and faster at the same settings and on the same hardware as it ran on a clean windows install.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Windows 10 is nice, possibly the best.

I did forget about that. But I believe Win Vista/7/8/8.1 all are very demanding. That being said if you were to run a bare bones Ubuntu OS while using Wine/PlayOnLinux that should still be less demanding than any of the above mentioned Windows OS.

This is just ONE example that has both sides of this argument.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yea but that looks like it is comparing apps that run natively on linux vs the same app on windows 7, and they are not that far apart. If you find a comparison of apps running natively on windows 10 vs running through wine on linux, I bet the numbers will look a LOT more lopsided.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts