Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure what the problem is. My lights dim below 3500 rpm and will brighten back up after 3500. Once it drops below 3500 it dims again. On start up on cold idle the lights are bright but rpms are 1200. Sounds like an altenator problem. BUT i have already went to advance and checked my battery and altenator and both tested perfectly. I also cleaned my battery terminal and gound wire. What else could it be?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i would be guessin an alternator problem as well. my headlights went very dim before my alternator went out. i can not remember if my interior light did or not. i would prob say they did as well. did you have them checked when you were driving for awhile? if not that maybe why it tested good. maybe it's the wires? are they rusted or wore? only other suggestion i can give. i'm just tryin to help but it might not help in the end.. ooo well i tried.

good luck. hope you can figure it out.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
sounds like the regulator in the alternator is getting weak.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would be guessin an alternator problem as well. my headlights went very dim before my alternator went out. i can not remember if my interior light did or not. i would prob say they did as well. did you have them checked when you were driving for awhile? if not that maybe why it tested good. maybe it's the wires? are they rusted or wore? only other suggestion i can give. i'm just tryin to help but it might not help in the end.. ooo well i tried.

good luck. hope you can figure it out.
they were some what rusty but i cleaned off most of the wires and connection points.

sounds like the regulator in the alternator is getting weak.
my friend also stated this. i am going to another advance and check it again.

the machine looks like it records the highest volts. so if i reved above 3.5 rpm then it would of seemed normal amperage.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
yeah i also know its your alt, its a classic sign of early fatigue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
its your alt... i went through the same bs at advance... they wouldnt/couldnt test it below like 4k rpms or some shit.. a week later my shit went out
most of the time when i test alt, the machine basicly tell me what to do. haha it stupid proof. the machine we have is a snap-on tho .

i not trying to diss people that work at part stores but personaly i do not think they are traded/ know what they are doing most of the time.

i have to agree with everyone esle, your alt is going to take a shit soon.

by the way ( to op) dose your car have a aftermarted sound system?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no sir all oem stereo.

i also got a questions

will this mess with my gas guage also? my gas guage fluxatuates like crazy E to F to Middle to E to F again. this problem came around the same time the lights dimming did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That happened to my car about 6 months ago. I had the alternater switched out but then it still went down really fast. So I just a new battery and it worked for me. So it could be the weak alternator output or just the battery not holding strong charges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts