Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have no idea why this is happening. i dont have any audio, like amps or anything. just a headunit and some speaker replacement which i know are wired correctly.

the problem im having is when i drive at night. my lights get dim when i put my clutch in. in other words it happens when the motor is returning to its idle rpm. also when im on the brakes it doesnt dim as much as when im not on the brakes. the lights stay a litle brighter with the brakes on. im guessing the power brakes have something to do with it. the ilde also acts the same way. the ldle drops more when im not on the brakes as oppose to when i am on the brakes.

my car is a 90 si with a d16y8 motor swap. i know its not the swap, becuase it didnt do this for months after the swap. it just started

some said something about a volatge regulator on the alternator might be bad? anyone have a simlar problem like this? any ideas on where to start will be helpfull. im clueless with electronis on cars. im a wrench monkey lol.

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
civic4ges said:
I had a similar problem, but it was not just at idle, it was anywhere in the rpm range when i was not accellerating. A month later it died totally, the alternator that is.

so what i was told is pretty much the correct thing to start with? the alt?

do honda alts have a voltage regulator? i was told by someone you can replace it on some cars and others you have to replace the whole alt.

thanks

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i had/may still have this problem. never really sure what it was, but i think it may have something to do with the grounds. I checked my alternator and battery, and they were completely fine. So I would say check your grounds, and maybe make a few more, and see what that does.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonny7730 said:
i had/may still have this problem. never really sure what it was, but i think it may have something to do with the grounds. I checked my alternator and battery, and they were completely fine. So I would say check your grounds, and maybe make a few more, and see what that does.

you just jogged my memory. i forgot like month ago i replaced the negative battery terminal and ground to the chassi and engine. i upgraded cable size and put a better battery terminal on. i dont under stand why it would have made a negative effect. my grounds were in the same spot the factory grounds were. although i didnt like the ground to the engine. that was just a little nut that went on the mounting bracket for the clutch cable. any thought or a better pllace to put the engine ground.

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sonny7730 said:

well you are so right about the grounds. i redid my grounds cleaned them up, like scraped paint and wire brushed everything. added another ground to the engine. it almost solved my dimming lights problem, and made my idle much smoother. hell the vtec is even pulling better cause i grounded the oil pressure switch. im going to run one more to the intake mani and head its self, see how much more that helps.

thanks for the help guys

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
glad to know it worked! i still have to fix mine, just never got around to it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes good grounding is definately the key to at least my problem.. i have to make 2 more, and ill let you know how i make out.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i've heard you can just use some large speaker wire...dunno how true this is but...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used old 4 gauge rockford amp cable to ground out the motor. have about 5 different spots grounded out. but i still know my alternator is f***ed. after pushing a memphis 1000D for about 3 months then downsizing to a 500D yeah neither one helped

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
silvertuner98 said:
i used old 4 gauge rockford amp cable to ground out the motor. have about 5 different spots grounded out. but i still know my alternator is f***ed. after pushing a memphis 1000D for about 3 months then downsizing to a 500D yeah neither one helped

yea, i just went to a stereo shop got some 4 gauge wire, and a couple of those ring terminations they use for stereo wire. worked like a cham. the grounding did improve the car over all. smoother acceleration, it's maintianing a steadier idle, but im still getting a voltage drop. it's just not as noticable. like slivertuner said i think my alts taking a shit. but i give a big thumbs up to redoing your grounds. :werd:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. Replace your ground wires + run a larger better quality wire.
2. Clean all the connections.
3. You can also run a larger wire from your alternator. I had to do this on my X-Terra after I installed a new stereo.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
civic4ges said:
I would think you would want more of a power cable vs. speaker wire

Just a thought...difference is amount of braids

yea the 4 gauge i used was power wire. sorry forgot to mention that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts