Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally reached a point in my CRX's build progress where it's time to look into wheels and tires. 175/70/13 tires with a 460 UTQG are killing me. Now I know finding used aftermarket or OEM wheels is an option, but at least in my area used Honda parts means you're getting trash. So here's what I can come up with.

Wheels

On Tire Rack's website there are plenty of options for cheap wheels. Of course styling is very subjective and the options on their site can be limited for tasteful looking wheels and you should also be careful with what wheel is being purchased. Not all wheels are created equally so don't be disappointed when your cast wheel cracks while daily driving. *cough* Kosei K1 *cough* My initial thought was the RPF1. It is an extremely cost effective, lightweight, flow formed wheel that might be a little dull on the styling side but it's also a very purpose/budget minded wheel. The problem is that it wasn't budget enough for me at $222 per wheel for a 15x8.

Enkei Racing RPF1 Bright Silver Paint

So I kept digging around and came across the Advanti DST Storm S1. (I want a 15x8 and Tire Rack will not suggest the 15x8 Advanti for a CRX because of it's offset so you'll have to look at NA Miata wheels for this.) The casting method isn't as good as the RPF1s but it is still a flow formed wheel and what makes it very tempting is the fact that you can get them for $138 a piece, and they're lighter than the Enkies by .3 pounds. Cool!

Advanti DST Storm S1 Matte Grey

Tires
The reason I want 15x8 is 15s offer a wide range of tires and I think 8 inches is going to allow for plenty of meat while still keeping costs down. Good luck finding street tires for a 15 inch wheel that are wider than 225. Beyond that its all slicks. I'm trying to find a tire with a 200 UTQG rating for maximum grip and decent-ish longevity. So what I was able to come up with is the Hankook Ventus R-S3 at $118 per tire. Unfortunately the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R is not available in the size I want but that's okay because we all know their "200 UTQG" rating is really more like 140. Who you foolin, Bridgestone? Of course that is the dominant "street" tire right now in autocross but those tires sure do seem to wear faster than the other 200 UTQG tires around.

Hankook*Ventus R-S3 (Version 2)

So that's my plan of attack on wheels and tires. I can do brand new wheels and tires for this car cheaper than a set of tires for a season of autocross on my other car. It's almost sad to say but the low running cost of this CRX has been pulling me away from my other car. Thoughts/opinions on a solid wheel/tire combo for daily driving and autocross use?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Even tho Konig are basically glorified knockoffs, they still have a few race wheels that are lightweight and cheaper than enkei.. Also company call Trak Lite (maybe trac lite) has light wheels aslo..

As far as your tire choices.. im sure you can figure out a decent tire. Even the Nitto Neo Gen is kinda soft and accetable for street and some autocross.. But your experience may differ.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
For that size and price you actually have a lot more options. There are Konig Dial-ins, TRM (have a few models) 15x8's as well. That is before you start getting into the hard-parked wheels....

Check out Good-win-racing, they have better prices and do a tire combo as well.

The 15x8 RPF1's look awesome! (Flat face)... But I went with the Dial-ins.

RS-3 is what I'm looking at. And it seems you're going after a more performance tire than street? There are also a few new tires to the space like the RE71Rs. But really how much are your expecting to daily the car? I thought I saw a sell-out on the Rivals and Z2's not long ago as well (few months back)...

Rivals S and RE-11As are suppose to catch up to the RE71R's. And I think a MAXXIS brand is getting decent reviews.

AutoxCRX probably has a lot more to comment about tires as well.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
konsei and konig both make some nice lightweight 15x8s and 15x7.5s

try the mazda miata sites like good-win-racing.com for more wheel choices

that site actually is why I bought Konig Heliums for my Fit

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the maximum weight you would be willing to go?
I personally think that anything reasonably priced and less than 12 lbs. (for 15x8 wheels) is going to eventually have durability issues, even the Enkeis have their stories.

I think the Traklite Burn wheels would fit your needs very well.
Flow formed @ 12.4 lbs. and 5 fat spokes, I don't think you would have to worry about them cracking anytime soon.
Plus they look like Rota Slipstreams/Spoon SW388 which works on just about every Honda.

Cheapest I could find were here.
Traklite Wheels Burn 15x8 4x100 +35 Machine Gloss Black

Source for picture
Mazda Talk Forums ? View topic - New Traklite-FLOW FORMED 15x7 & 15x8 GEAR and BURN

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
my personal rule is keep it under one pound per inch of diameter.

good tires actually tend to weight more, so having the lightest possible rim isnt always noticable, which is my reasoning for my little rule

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All very good points everybody, but I think there's one thing that's being overlooked; weight. I challenge you all to find a wheel that is a 15x8, is under $200 per wheel, is flow formed, and weighs less than 11.1 lbs. Yes there are a lot of "lightweight" options but I can't find a wheel that fits those numbers that is lighter. Hell, I can't even find a wheel that is 15x8 that is lighter. I wouldn't be worried about that wheel cracking as much as I would be worried about a Konsei wheel cracking. Most Konsei wheels I've seen advertise only a gravity cast and nothing else. Googling "Konsei K1 Review" yields some suspect result on that company too. Go ahead and visit their website and try to reach their "Technology" section...

Yes performance is at the top of my priority list for tire options and the 15x8 category does offer a lot of wiggle room for tire choices which makes that size desirable. Good point about MAXXIS, Fodo. I totally forgot they just came out with a new tire. It's suppose to be a solid contender for the 200 UTQG category from what somebody was telling me. I'll check them out.

Edit: boibuddha, that's actually a damn good option.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Just throwing this fart in the wind..

Wheels - Konig Wheels

Helix - Konig Wheels

Konig Helix 12.8lbs, Flow Formed.

Flow forming is one of the most advanced manufacturing technologies to enter the wheel industry. Flow Forming Technology involves the application of pressure to the inner barrel of the wheel, while spinning and after it has been casted. This process stretches and compresses the aluminum, which increases tensile strength. In this respect the process shares similar properties to those found in the forging process. The final product is lighter, stronger, has increased elongation, and a much greater shock resistance as well as an increased load capacity over regular cast wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts