Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im new to civics and turbos but ive read alot and it sounds like they go good togeather. i have a 93si coupe with a z6 and want to get alittle more power out of it.

My dad has a mint 86 svo mustang 2.3 turbo. aswell he had bought a few parts cars and such. these cars came with 3 different trim turbos but we have many atleast one of each.

where i live there isnt access to any dyno and getting the car tuned would be a long drive.

i want this to be cheap and somewhat reliable my goal isnt high, i would be happy with 160hp or anywhere close. if i install one of these turbos and set it up for roughly 5 pounds will the computer work fine?? would it be reliable?? i see alot of people looking to get 200+hp with boost on a stock motor. is there anything internal wise that could be a problem. aswell my dad did mention i would need some sort of higher fuel pump or regulator or something?

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FORD Mustang GT 85-86 2.3L GAR TB0344
FORD Mustang GT/T-bird 83-84 GAR (AiR) TB0344

FORD T-Bird 85-86 2.3L (auto) GAR (AiR) TB0344 (45 trim oil only)
FORD T-Bird 85-86 2.3L (Manual) GAR (AiR) TB03 60 trim (watercooled)
FORD T-Bird 87-88 (water) IHI RHB52

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Why is it when ever someone wants to boost there car they say I want to go cheap?!?! I would diff look to be making the drive to the dyno unless you know how to street tune. You can run 8 lbs safely on a bone stock Z6.

Before you do this cheap build read a little more in to it. GL

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could probably do it but you'd need an upgraded fuel pump and an FMU of some sort minimum.

Not familiar with mustang turbos and I'm not sure you will be able to boost only 5 psi with the stock waste gate but you can always put an external on there.

Putting that turbo on your car will probably require alot of one-off, custom parts to make it work but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
When they say you can turbo a stock motor, they mean it can withstand some of the turbo's power. it does NOT mean a stock computer and fuel system will support it!!!!

you NEED a friggin tune! no freakin exceptions!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im also new to civics and have been researching for months now, three things i can tell you is.... first, the word cheap and turbo shouldnt be allowed in the same sentence, from my reserch ive discovered that cheap turbo setups or only setting you up for failure and often sheap turbos end with some sort of major problem which results in some sort of engine swap, two, tuning is crutial when running boost, any fool can bolt a bunch of crap on and think there fast and furious, its bolting the parts on and programming the ecu to make those parts work together that will make it fast and reliable, and lastly, well research research research, just about any question you can think of has most likely been asked by someone else, just my two cents

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i have been researching this for some time now. i have many of these Garret Tb0344 turbos and im pretty sure there t3/t4???
The reason think this could be a cheap build is because i already have the turbo which has an internal wastegate. Would have to get a fuel pump, fmu need intake tubing have to pick up some oil and water lines (acouple of the turbos i got are watercooled) and the manifold. im hopin the old man knows how to setup the waste gate but im sure he dos hes not new to these turbos. we have a nice mig welder so i could even do the exhaust up aswell.

it is alot of work but im not worried about that i understand the computer should be tuned for turbo but there arnt many shops around here that can do it. im looking at like almost $500 to get the car tuned, seriously.

theres some videos on youtube and good dynos of d16turbos not tuned. Am i just looking for trouble going this way?

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
If I remember correctly, a stock fuel pump will support close to 300 HP and the stock fpr also is fine until you get into high HP numbers.if you don't tune you will run rich or lean and blow the motor, if no one is close learn to tune yourself

·
Registered
63 Posts
you can throw a FMU or adjustable regulator on there to make it work on like 5PSI of boost. I would upgrade the injectors a bit though. The stock 240CC injectors cant really do much. Find some 390's or something like that, I have seen people run stock injectors but really you are asking for a melted piston. If you also cant drive to tune it than at minimum get a wideband gauge so that atleast you can see how the car runs as you fk around with it.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
A GoAutoworks cast iron manifold is pretty cheap as are DSM 450 injectors.

You can certainly get by with stock internals.

You will need a chipped ECU and a tune. There are a few guys here who can set you up with the correct ECU chipped and a base map tune.

It might be an idea to check if the Ford injectors fit and are the correct impedance.

The Fords might have some inter coolers and air ducts that can be adapted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey man you have a p28 ecu on that engine. chip it yourself and try to get a basemap from someone that will at least run your engine with out it leaning out and blowing your engine. then you can get a tune later.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
ok i have been researching this for some time now. i have many of these Garret Tb0344 turbos and im pretty sure there t3/t4???
The reason think this could be a cheap build is because i already have the turbo which has an internal wastegate. Would have to get a fuel pump, fmu need intake tubing have to pick up some oil and water lines (acouple of the turbos i got are watercooled) and the manifold. im hopin the old man knows how to setup the waste gate but im sure he dos hes not new to these turbos. we have a nice mig welder so i could even do the exhaust up aswell.

it is alot of work but im not worried about that i understand the computer should be tuned for turbo but there arnt many shops around here that can do it. im looking at like almost $500 to get the car tuned, seriously.

theres some videos on youtube and good dynos of d16turbos not tuned. Am i just looking for trouble going this way?
Having the turbo isnt even half the build man. There is so much more.
And people run redlights and rob banks all the time, you think its a good idea?

The car needs a tune. A basemap will get it boosted and runing, but some fine tune is needed to make it last.

so do some more homework and build it right the first time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey man you have a p28 ecu on that engine. chip it yourself and try to get a basemap from someone that will at least run your engine with out it leaning out and blowing your engine. then you can get a tune later.
thats true I forgot he had a p28. he can easily chip it for like $25 by himself if he knows how to solder. And then he can download maps online or someone can make him one that will make his setup run fine basically.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
cheap CAN be with turbo, especially on a stock block limiting power.

you can get a parts car eclipse turbo and steal the injectors, turbo, intercooler, BOV/recirculatingV, downpipe, O2 housing, etc.. for cheap!

your stock fuel pump WILL support 200whp. if worried, just by a walbro 190 for less then $100 new

·
Registered
63 Posts
cheap CAN be with turbo, especially on a stock block limiting power.

you can get a parts car eclipse turbo and steal the injectors, turbo, intercooler, BOV/recirculatingV, downpipe, O2 housing, etc.. for cheap!

your stock fuel pump WILL support 200whp. if worried, just by a walbro 190 for less then $100 new
walbro 190 is pointless, might as well get 255 if you are going to upgrade your pump.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts