Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3684 Posts

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods if this is a no no my apologies and close or delete please.

I'll start it off

Let talk about guns and ammo selection and why. Let's keep this civilized please and lets be grown ups on this matter.

Me I never like the 556/223 round but after reading into it I came to like it for short to medium range ballistics. It can be a nasty little round even if shot location is no ideal.

22lr can be just as deadly as a 223/556 in close range. yet it's cheaper. I love the little round.

7.62x whatever, well it's 7.62 but can be pricey if going for long range accuracy.

The 12, well they are just badass, really close range and anything is done, at least with 00 buck.

What y'all think and why.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Guns are fun.

My wife and i have a .308, .45, .22lr

the 308 is a ikon by Thompson
the 45 is a Glock 30 SF
the 22 is a ruger 10/22 with a archangel 556 kit on it. Looks pretty dope.

the 308 round is pretty freakin pricey so most the time i plink with my 22. However i hear there is a NATO round that is the same as the .308. Do you know about that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love .22 because you can practice with unlimited rounds for $20 (it seems).
The last time I took my dad's S&W 1911 to the range I shot $50 of .45 in half an hour or so. I am trying to find a pistol to purchase for myself, and want the largest caliber in a small gun that I can control.

I live in a small town, and get lots of practice with my savage 22 bolt action. My girlfriend's dog LOVES squirrel hunting.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I love my CZ.
It's a CZ 75 SP-01. It was a Police and Military issue gun in most of the eastern world.
I wanted a high capacity gun for home protection and this one seemed to fit the bill.
Holds 18 +1. 4.75" barrel. SA/DA, cocked and locked gun. Fun as hell to shoot.

Me unloading 2 mags in row...
First mag was full metal, 2nd was hollow points. And this gun has only jammed on me once in about 1000 rounds.
9mm Therapy - YouTube

And it's full of win!!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I prefer the 9mm for my EDC pistol: it's lightweight, cost effective, and with the right round, it has plenty of stopping power. I usually carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds, but when I'm @ the range, it's just your regular, inexpensive FMJ's.

I was looking through Palmetto's website, and I can build a complete lower, with adj. buttstock, for right around $200. Find a cost-effective upper, and I SHOULD be able to build a complete AR for under $600 (complete upper, mag or 2, and iron sights...MAAAAYYYBBEEEE an ok optic, but that'll put me over $600).

My shotty I picked up recently is a Maverick 88 (basically a less expensive Mossberg 500). It came with the 28" barrel, so I bought an 18.5" barrel from Midway the week after I got it. Gotta love pawn shop pick ups: the Maverick 88 brand new is ~$200 from Walmart...I got this thing for $125 out the door, with a soft case from the pawn shop. :-D Same thing with my 10/22: they wanted like $220 for it, I told them that's WAY too high since it can be had for $197 new from Wally World. Ended up walking out the door with the 10/22 rifle (in virtually MINT condition mind you...and it's an older model that doesn't have the polymer trigger assembly) and a scope...for $140. :-D

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

Posted the video link (dont no if it will work) but sick of people saying a .22lr wont do damage or wont kill you. Ill tell you that off the record a .22lr will take out a deer.

Im limited to what I can have in Canada, considering you cant have any cenrtrefire semi auto with more then a 5rd mag and pistols max out at 10.

Atleast with a 10/22s I can still have 25rnd mags or ffity, not that I would because they always jam.

Army established that if a bullet can penetrate a 1/2'' of oak wood it was considered lethal. In the video I posted they are shooting threw a oak wood board at 400yards there penetrating it with a .22lr.

·
Registered
610 Posts
the 308 round is pretty freakin pricey so most the time i plink with my 22. However i hear there is a NATO round that is the same as the .308. Do you know about that?
7.62 x 51 NATO round will fire in .308. Don't reload military brass though. Cheapest I found it was just under $1.00 per round shipped.

Took my wife to the range a few weeks ago for her first time ever shooting. She did pretty well on the AK, not so much on the Glock 22. I think the .40 S&W round is a bit much for her. Ten minutes after we got home, she started talking about us getting a pistol for her. She wants to wait until she gets her next bonus check in June. I can't wait. Thinking I am going to go with a 9mm or a .380. More for the smaller frame than anything.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm also considering buying a pistol in .22 LR and building a suppressor for it. Should be able to do one for under $300, including ATF tax. Just think it would be cool to fire subsonic and having the mechanics be the loudest aspect.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a hi-point 9mm it's fun to shoot. Heavy on the recoil tho. While the suppressors have been brought up here is some videos. Im in love with the 300 but can't beat the 22. Just remember sub sonic ammo is key to quietness

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whatchu know about Ak's and AR15's equpit with night vision, shell catchers and inf' beams huh?
I can tell you that fancy stuff gets pricey.

But I'm also looking into a 338 lapua mag. It's cheaper than a 50, has the same if not more range, and is just as accurate and heavy hitting

If you get a FAL, or a ctme, both of them shoot the 7.62x51 NATO(308). They are nasty round for all distances but, since the round is so expensive I could see myself trading my AR for a FAL and then turn around and buy Ammo. Tho I did find 1000 British 7.62x51 round for around 500.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
I love the 5.56/.223 round. At least the older design of the bullet that had the 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. Ballistics on that round shows it to tumble in soft tissue and cause massive trauma. I will be buying an AR-15 soon and build it up with a scope of some kind.

I got a kel-tec PF-9 (small 9mm) and it is reliable and shoots good but has a huge recoild because of how light it is and therefore not as accurate as my other 9mm.

I got a bersa thunder 9 mini and this is just an awesome gun to shoot. It fits my hand perfectly and shoots so straight.

I also got a mossberg 500 18in barrel and 00buck magnum loads and keep it next to the bed, I got the pistol grip w/shoulder stock on it.

I bought a new ruger 10/22, I am going to send to trigger ass. off to be reworked to about 2.5 lbs of pull. This gun is a fucking tack driver. We set up a metal pole in my backyard and put thin zip ties on it, we walked 50 yards back and shot every zip tie off of it. I got a cheap bushnell 4x scope on it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hmmm. I may just build a can for my Glock. Apparently, 180 grn .40 S&W ammo is subsonic.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I dont currently own any guns but I have shot a few. Went out to Christmas Valley in Oregon and went shooting on the pitches. They have a ground squirel problem. So we helped out for the week.

I shot a .22lr scoped, an AR15 open sites, and an AK replica scoped. We were shooting at about 100 yards. I enjoyed the big 7.62 rounds, splits shit open, but the .22 was way funner and easier to recover from and fire again.

My last gun I owned was a mossberg shotty, with two barrels, an 18in unchoked, and a 24 in bird/game hunter. That gun was nasty but not as good as a duck gun, when I would go to the range and fire at clay pigeons. Went ten for ten with an over under but seven for ten with my gun on average.

I love guns and need to get some again, just got out of it and into other stuff for a while.

Hmmm. I may just build a can for my Glock. Apparently, 180 grn .40 S&W ammo is subsonic.
Be verwy verwy quiet, im protecting myself and not alerting my neighbors. I love silenced guns, the feeling is like driving a fast car with quiet exhaust.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
I forgot about the ammo part.

I got some zombie killers in my 9mm.

And for the 22 I have been using the remington gold pack brass washed hollow points. They seem to be accurate enough for my needs.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
7.62 x 51 NATO round will fire in .308. Don't reload military brass though. Cheapest I found it was just under $1.00 per round shipped.

Took my wife to the range a few weeks ago for her first time ever shooting. She did pretty well on the AK, not so much on the Glock 22. I think the .40 S&W round is a bit much for her. Ten minutes after we got home, she started talking about us getting a pistol for her. She wants to wait until she gets her next bonus check in June. I can't wait. Thinking I am going to go with a 9mm or a .380. More for the smaller frame than anything.
Sick. I knew it was a 7.62 round, wasnt sure which one tho. Dude have your wife look into the glocks. The glock we have actually was picked by my wife. The SF at the end of G30 SF is a slim frame model. It is skinnier where your thumb and index finger meet making the grip of the gun easier for small hands. 2k+ rounds never jammed cleaned once at about 1k rounds. I know i know clean my pieces, just lazy i guess. And ya the .22LR is GREAT for target shooting. 550 rounds at wal-mart for $18.00 I get bored befor i fire all those off lol.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I can tell you that fancy stuff gets pricey.

But I'm also looking into a 338 lapua mag. It's cheaper than a 50, has the same if not more range, and is just as accurate and heavy hitting
I went with both. lol

Barrett .50 and a Sako TRG 42.

Sako

Barrett

And the M-76 Yugo for plinking

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I love the 5.56/.223 round. At least the older design of the bullet that had the 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. Ballistics on that round shows it to tumble in soft tissue and cause massive trauma. I will be buying an AR-15 soon and build it up with a scope of some
A full metal jacket boat tail where designed to create the tumbling affect. That's why they are perty nasty.

CCI Stinger .22 ammo is still cheap ass shit up here.

Cant beat 500rnds for under $25bucks.
Some places have 5k rounds of 22lr for $169

I went with both. lol

Barrett .50 and a Sako TRG 42.

Sako

Barrett

And the M-76 Yugo for plinking

I am jealous. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the sako? I have looked at those and I know how much they run brand new.

1 - 20 of 3684 Posts