Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - First off - Almost every damn thing in my garage is 92-00.

That is bad news when I just picked up a CRX recently and want to do work... As I usually have
a plaethora of parts to do anything I want. Like a Lego shop.

CRX is '91. And automatic. To be honest, I can't even drive it. That's how much I hate automatics.

Here is my dilemma -
I have 4 or 5 hydro transmissions in my garage.
I have sets of hydro lines in my garage..
I have the reservoir / etc.

I don't have a cable trans.

I've been going back and forth in my melon about this for months.

Do I use one of my Hydro transmissions and do a hydro conversion on an EF clutch pedal?
If so - Which hydro conversion kit isn't a total piece of crap? I've watched many a ridiculous video that talk almost no details and I usually end up clicking back on old Walking Dead episodes before they can finish killing my soul with the bad camera angles.

Should I just cut the BS and source out a cable trans?

Every time I see a cable trans, it's in St. Paul Minnesota or Walla Walla Washington.

I don't have super plans for this thing yet except to get it converted to manual. And then slowly do stuff to it. So cable or hydro isn't a performance issue. It's a matter of just getting one done. So I don't have to feel the car shift at the weirdest time possible ever again.

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I read and see in comparison, they are very different...
In fact, I have looked and scowered the web looking for a crafty bastard who may have installed EG pedals into an EF..to no avail.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And after doing some reading, I'm starting to lean back into the cable realm..
And here is why -
From what I'm gathering, I really don't want to remove the fresh air vent and the driver side air vent permanently for a hydro transmission. Especially when the goal is just to have a manual. It amazes me that someone hasn't came up with a more simple setup for people who already had a hydro trans.

I'd drive quite a ways just to pick up a cable trans, some pedals and be done with it. Maybe just not Walla Walla, Washington.

I appreciate the link, though. By far, that's the cleanest looking one I've seen.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,346 Posts
Hush Performance is your option. They used to make a cable to hydro conversion that used the cable to an arm that then depressed the slave cylinder so you could use the hydro trans, but they always had issues. Never worked right. Easiest best bet is to go cable trans and bolt in a set of pedals. Where you at? Plenty of cable trannies in the southeast, along with pedal assemblies.

Reactions: Nasty_Canasta

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Their kits are really damn clean looking. I saw a lot of shoddy looking stuff in my searches. I've been periodically searching this stuff since I got the CRX.

Too bad you're left hand drive, my mate makes these:

But RHD only at this stage.
Nice!

Hush Performance is your option. They used to make a cable to hydro conversion that used the cable to an arm that then depressed the slave cylinder so you could use the hydro trans, but they always had issues. Never worked right. Easiest best bet is to go cable trans and bolt in a set of pedals. Where you at? Plenty of cable trannies in the southeast, along with pedal assemblies.
You are correct. When you boil the work down, add up the dollars and look at it from all angles, the cable trans is the cheapest and easiest solution. I was hoping that there was some setup I was unaware of due to me being out of EF // CRX land for so long. Plus, considering I'm not doing a serious build with it right now, it's hard to justify a lot of the conversion setups...both cost and work involved. I can absolutely see doing something like this in the future when I have the engine pulled out and I'm building another Beast7 or A6 build to throw in it. I actually have an A6 on my stand right now that I've slowly been working on. It's currently homeless.

I'm about ten mins south of Detroit. Where most of that Honda era has rusted back into the ground. I heard back from one guy today..I sent him a list of stuff I needed. He responded with, "I have the trans and pedal set. I sell these on eBay all the time for $500. For $400, I'll sell you the trans and give you the pedal set.." ..I was thinking, "Ahhh..we're doing the beyond full retail eBay strategy.."..but even at $400, I guess that's better than the guy in Rochester that told me $250 when I asked him what he wanted for the manual pedal set alone. I don't want to imagine the price he'd quote for a trans.

All this after I got done listing three transmissions for $150 dollars each. Hah!

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,900 Posts
a bit late on this post nasty, how much is the trans in walla walla? thats local to me and i may be in your neck of the woods in near future, or could get it and ship it to you if needed. shoot me a message if youd like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts