Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONG READ> WARNING>>>

On April 26, 2015, my husband and I were in a wreck. The guy intentionally hit us 4 times.

***Back story***Husband bought his car from this guy, let's call him JL. 1998 Honda Civic LX. D16y7. POS car for $3k because my husband could only do payments, but otherwise was only asking $1,500 for it. The motor blew up after 6 months. My husband then paid JL (his supposed "friend") to put a motor in the car. A d15 non-vtec (I think b7) for $750. JL just had the motor laying around but said it ran/drove fine no issues. So JL put the motor in. SMOKED LIKE A MF. He only put 2 mounts on the car. Tore off the A/C compressor and condensor. Starter was loose. Timing belt was loose, and timing was off...etc. So my husband told a buddy of his, "Do not have work done by JL. I'm not ever going to have him do anything again." THIS peeved the JL off.

So he rearended us. Stop sign. Next Stop sign.
At first, we thought his brakes were bad or something. Until after the second hit, when the guy began yelling at us and reached in his middle console for something. (We were in my husbands civic. JL was in a lifted Dodge '99 Ram.) We heard a click. (what we believe was a gun) and my husband takes off. (At this time I call the cops) The guy hits us at two more stop signs, and at the last one he tries to push us out into traffic on a main Highway. Thankfully my husband's quick thinking got us out of there quick. Sadly the car blew up.

He chased us for two more miles until the cops caught up with us.
He had a swapped tag on his truck. (For an '04 Civic)
No license.
No Insurance.
Loaded gun in the center console with no permit.

My husband's dad has "relations" with the guys mom. JL tells the cops that they're "step-brothers", which is NOT true. The cop goes up to my husband and says, "I'm not goint to take the time to file this report if you guys are going to just kiss and make up"

They took his gun.
Let him drive off.
2 Misdemeanors of wreckless endangerment.
600$ court cost.
5 nights served in jail (5pm-5am) of his 30 day term.
$2200 total paid to us over a 24 month period (vehicle damage)
and 2 Stay Away orders.

Here's the issue now.
My medical bills need to be paid.
I don't have health ins. and cannot afford to go back to the DR. for my back until the current bills are paid.

The cop wrote everything on the crash report wrong and the Car INS won't cover it, because I'm not in the report.
I am trying to get the report fixed, but we will see how far that goes this afternoon.
What are the next steps?
Where do I go from here?
My husband wants to get a lawyer and sue the s*** out of them.

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call a personal injury attorney, tell them the story, ask them for advice.

You should have done that from day 1.
I tried and tried but no one would take my case due to lack of funds (at the time). I guess I'll have to call around again.

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a lawyer and record anything the police tell you or the offender says.

Find a lawyer that won't get paid unless they win.
We have record of everything JL has said to us. Via text and facebook. We are heading to the PD today after work to try to get this straightened out.
None of those lawyers were interested in my case. But it never hurts to try again so that's what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Keep trying

Find a lawyer that is not NEEDING the money. Find that one who wants to help, rather than simply get a paycheck. They ARE out there.

YOu also have every right to get the police to start an investigation on that officer. See if he has a habit of being a lazy shitbag like he was to you guys.

Let it be known to all parties that you are NOT related to the guy and you feel you were a victim and a possibly were going to be shot.

For a police officer to allow someone with a loaded weapon to drive away is utter bullshit. Around here, you would be in jail until deemed you were not posing any sort of threat

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
I tried and tried but no one would take my case due to lack of funds (at the time). I guess I'll have to call around again.
around here there are lawyers that "we don't get paid, unless you win"
they do pretty good work because the bigger your cut, the bigger their cut. I was rear ended by a d.u.i and me and my wife both got roughly 20k before the lawyer got his cut. when it was all said and done, I walked away with 4k after child support took their cut

also, while we were under the lawyer, we had waivers to go to dr's and chiropractors. we were going 3 times a week and it didn't cost us anything. when the insurance settled, the dr's and chiro reduced their prices by half and it was paid off during the payout. everybody gets paid and we get the rest

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
After this had happened you should have told the cop you wanted to press assault charges as well. Unless there is more to this story because it just seems really odd to begin with.

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matt & sloeg8,
I am waiting to hear back from a contingency lawyer right now.

**Update**
We went to the PD today, to get the report fixed. The officer was VERY uncooperative.
On the original report, it stated he had a 1999 dodge ram (which he did) with a '04 civic tag. Our tag was correct.

On the "new"report, it has US driving the '04 Civic and HIM driving a 2015 Dodge ram. (his cousin's tag we suspect) which means he paid the cop off.

We are now officially lawyering up.

Beer, we did file the charges they placed on him, two counts of misdomeanor wreckless endangerment.

Sir, he was mad because my husband told everyone not to get work from him because he does sh***y work. (which obviously he did) haha

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
After this had happened you should have told the cop you wanted to press assault charges as well. Unless there is more to this story because it just seems really odd to begin with.
Unless there is more to this story because it just seems really odd to begin with.

nailed it. let's be honest here, folks. nobody comes to DSO for legal advice unless they are looking for confirmation of what they already know. Or, they want to hear what they want to hear (which is a load of bullshit).

OP, if there was anybody on this site that would be able to give you legal advice pro bono, they'd sure as fuck not do it in this thread. Or anywhere else on the Internet.

I'd like to hear THE WHOLE story but I really think you should stop posting ANYTHING about this on the Internet. Seriously, just lawyer up.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Hell in my town if you are even named in a accident report you'll get a billion letters from personal injury attorneys and they all work for free but take 1/3 of the winnings

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Hmm,. that kinda reminds me of something.

We had a local cop years ago who pretty much knew all the "good ol boys" and blatantly refused to take proper action when they did something that endangered people or were harassing otehrs or such.

Someone actually called a few news reporters and got a local story made, and suddenly that particular officer was in teh spotlight, his every action (or lack of action) reported in some way. It was bad press for the police as a whole, but it did eventually force that officer to properly do his job, since he was under much more attention than usual from his higher-ups/superiors.

Sometimes you gotta make shit public!

Id wait on your lawyer (or future lawyer) to take action and see what happens. If nothing happens, well, rat that son of a bitch out publicly! let everyone know he let a man leave the scene of an active assault with a LOADED freakin weapon

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless there is more to this story because it just seems really odd to begin with.

nailed it. let's be honest here, folks. nobody comes to DSO for legal advice unless they are looking for confirmation of what they already know. Or, they want to hear what they want to hear (which is a load of bullshit).

OP, if there was anybody on this site that would be able to give you legal advice pro bono, they'd sure as fuck not do it in this thread. Or anywhere else on the Internet.

I'd like to hear THE WHOLE story but I really think you should stop posting ANYTHING about this on the Internet. Seriously, just lawyer up.
Haha this IS the entire story. I needed a little advice. Make sure I was heading the right direction. I don't have anyone but my husband to talk to about this mess and he's not the most educated person I know. We've been quiet about this crap for 4 months. When I say I literally have no one. I literally have no one so it was nice to get some things off my chest. That's what this section of the forum is on right? I'm not getting rep points or anything else for it so whys it such a big deal?

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you need not post this bs on dso and need to talk to a lawyer to get it settle we cannot help you other than past experiences.
Again not BS. All true matter of fact and we have all of the evidence down to a T. So please read the post above this one I just posted. Not trying to be rude, but again, I just needed someone to talk too to make sure I was doing all of this right.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
What you should be doing is calling a lawyer and talking to the CLEO about that officer...4 months ago. Probably the best advice you'll get.

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What you should be doing is calling a lawyer and talking to the CLEO about that officer...4 months ago. Probably the best advice you'll get.
The problem was that we were told everything was taken care of on the report/police side of things. So we were just waiting to hear back from the insurance.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
and that's where the problem lies. you don't hear anything within a week, you start blowing up people's phones. the very next day after my accident, I was talking to insurance, they said they wouldn't take responsibility. 20 minutes later, had a lawyer do all the talking for me.

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and that's where the problem lies. you don't hear anything within a week, you start blowing up people's phones. the very next day after my accident, I was talking to insurance, they said they wouldn't take responsibility. 20 minutes later, had a lawyer do all the talking for me.
I admit that I have not handled it as well as i could have. I have been completely lost. However I have now gotten a lawyer and he said that the insurance should pay for everything. It is a big relief off my back. But theres still the headache of getting the report fixed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts