Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around google and here looking for an answer but I cant find a definite answer. This may be a stupid question but if Im changing my normal 1157 dual contact filament bulb out for an led does it just need to be a dual contact or does it have to be dual intensity as well?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1991 Civic SI
2,229 Posts
First off don't do it. Second off it just needs to bee 1157 dual contact like an normal bulb. The reason I say don't do it is simply because it will not be bright enough during the day. My whole car is converted to led EXCEPT my brake lights and rear fog. Leds are fine for signals but even then name brand beats ebay every time. I have been through numerous setups on my car and have found VLEDS, Superbrightleds, and autolumination all work well and have good service. But if you want something bright enough for tails youre gonna have to shell out the cash for the VLED V3 Triton. At $100 a pair not many people are willing, but I have experimented with many different size, and shape tail bulbs and none were bright enough in the day time.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Not 100% sure but it would seem to me that it would need to be dual.
Since you would need running lights and brake lights all in one bulb.
Also dont forgot that while installing led bulbs that one way is ground and the other is power.

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
I have LEDs all around on my civic ( besides blinkers)
And they are brighter than bulbs for sure!

Just make sure you get the bulbs w/ a lot of LEDs and have a hight out put intensity,
I usually use SuperBrightLeds.com <---- they even have a bulbs by car to easily find the right ones

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off don't do it. Second off it just needs to bee 1157 dual contact like an normal bulb. The reason I say don't do it is simply because it will not be bright enough during the day. My whole car is converted to led EXCEPT my brake lights and rear fog. Leds are fine for signals but even then name brand beats ebay every time. I have been through numerous setups on my car and have found VLEDS, Superbrightleds, and autolumination all work well and have good service. But if you want something bright enough for tails youre gonna have to shell out the cash for the VLED V3 Triton. At $100 a pair not many people are willing, but I have experimented with many different size, and shape tail bulbs and none were bright enough in the day time.
Thanks. And your saying the brake lights wouldn't be bright enough? I already replaced the high mount 3rd brake light to led and its just as bright I think and its a bit deeper of a red which I like.

I have LEDs all around on my civic ( besides blinkers)
And they are brighter than bulbs for sure!

Just make sure you get the bulbs w/ a lot of LEDs and have a hight out put intensity,
I usually use SuperBrightLeds.com <---- they even have a bulbs by car to easily find the right ones
Yea idk about spending 20 a bulb on superbrightleds. That's a bit too much.

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I bought some leds for $21 a pair. Them seem to be better quality than then cheap ones. I will post some pics once they arrived. Should be here in the next couple days.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Your going to have bright circular spot in your tail lights with leds, looks retarded imo. I would only convert to led if i baked the tail lights and got a square pcb full of leads to cover the whole housing

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
EXCEPT my brake lights

That's the FIRST light you'd want to convert. It doesn't matter how bright it is, people are trained/conditioned well enough for brake lights that they'll still see dim lights. The biggest benefit of LED's is their speed, they could give the person behind you an extra 10 feet to stop, which will greatly reduce the impact speed or even prevent it completely!

The cheaper bulbs I got from ebay long ago are still working, and are still brighter than incandescent bulbs from the parts store. They are the type that have side-facing LED's as well as rear-facing LED's, so they use your entire reflector instead of creating a big red dot. They aren't the typical LED bulb you get at Radioshack, they're the multi-pin multi-brightness type.

Single dot style:

Reflector style:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
just get any that are over 5 watts like the CREE or COB types and they should light up like a Christmas tree, hey just in time for christmas

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im uploading these from my phone. They are pretty bright. These are only 2 so far.

Attachments

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
LED's on right and incandescent on left?

Might have to look in to that.

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is with brakes on during the day. Two are regular bulbs and 2 are led. Can you tell which is which?

EDIT: Sorry about the sideways pics. IDK why its doing that.

Attachments

·
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it the outer bulbs?

Thanks for the pic
Yes sir. They are on the outside. They are almost just as bright as regular bulbs when braking and wayyyyy brighter as running lights. And they look cleaner to me cause the are red so there isnt any yellow around the edges. Plus they turn on instantly. You can definitely tell how fast they are compared to normal bulbs when I arm my alarm.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes sir. They are on the outside. They are almost just as bright as regular bulbs when braking and wayyyyy brighter as running lights. And they look cleaner to me cause the are red so there isnt any yellow around the edges. Plus they turn on instantly. You can definitely tell how fast they are compared to normal bulbs when I arm my alarm.
can't wait to do mines as well bro.:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Hey so can you see a huge difference if your running lights are on and you press the brake pedal? I'm asking because on my friends car, the running lights are bright, if the running lights are off and he presses the brakes it's bright, but if the running lights are on and he presses the brakes, you can't really tell that he's pressing the brakes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts