Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
D-series child
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LED light bar went out like.. 2-3 months ago. It just went out all of a sudden. I've checked all the wires and the light itself, and everything seems fine. It's odd how it went out suddenly when it was workin like the week before. I went to Honda and they said $134 for a new one! Does anyone know if maybe I have blown a fuse or anything?

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
try looking in the classifieds..
or in junk yards

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
go to an aftermarket parts store. I know my spoiler is aftermarket, but they were able to find me one. it cost 30 bucks.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
LEDs are supposed to last a hell of a long time. LEDs can fail when you put too much current through them. If you look at the internals, there will be resistors in front of the LEDs that limit the amount of current that goes through them.

Did you try putting 12v manually through it to see if it still works? (try a battery) if it works, you have a wiring problem or a fuse somewhere. If it doesn't, and you can't find a replacement, check to see that a resistor or something isn't burnt out. That could be a cheap fix if you're good with soldering.

·
D-series child
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
makku said:
LEDs are supposed to last a hell of a long time. LEDs can fail when you put too much current through them. If you look at the internals, there will be resistors in front of the LEDs that limit the amount of current that goes through them.

Did you try putting 12v manually through it to see if it still works? (try a battery) if it works, you have a wiring problem or a fuse somewhere. If it doesn't, and you can't find a replacement, check to see that a resistor or something isn't burnt out. That could be a cheap fix if you're good with soldering.
Wow... some good info. here. No I haven't put a 12v manually to see if it work. I haven't tried anything with replacing fuses or anything. Do I need to disconnect the battery if I switch fuses? I have soldered before, and know how to do it, but I don't know what a resistor is, and I don't really trust myself. I'm too scared I will make the problem even worse.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
you don't need to disconnect the battery to replace the fuse. BUT, if a fuse blew, it blew for a reason. You might have a wiring problem / something is short-circuited somewhere (power is connected directly to ground through that circuit).

Resistors look like little cylinders with multi-colored lines crossing them. The resistors are blue or gold usually. If you don't know what they are, then forget about replacing them because you need to know what resistance they are (by the colored lines). Just try to find a replacement.

Again, make sure it's broken and that it's not bad wiring or a fuse. Find where power goes in... attach that to the + on the battery. Find where ground comes out and attach that to - on the battery. If it lights up, it's good and it's a wiring problem.

Before all that, check all of your fuses (in the dash and in the engine bay). You should pull out each one and check because you can't always see if they're burned from the top.

·
D-series child
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aight, thanks man. I appreciate your help. My friend has some fuses in his truck so I guess I'll look at one of those and see if that corrects the problem. If it does then I'll still go to Honda and like you said check to see why it blew. If it doesn't work then I guess I'll just pay the money for the new one. Once again I really appreciate your help.

- Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts