Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my problem...
I drive a 96 ex coupe, t04e 57 trim turbo with a 12:1 vortech FMU and a 255lph fuel pump.

I have had this kit for about 5 months, and last month I took the kit off of my coupe so I could turbo my hatchback. Before I took the kit off, the coupe was running strong and the A/F mix was rich under boost... Well, the hatchback need's more work than I have time to devote to it, so I decided to put the turbo kit back on the coupe.

Now, the coupe is running lean under boost. Sometimes to the point where my CEL comes on... The strange thing is, from 1psi to 8psi the A/F mix is the same. It does not fluctuate based on how much boost I run...

What would cause this problem, and how can I fix it? I am in school right now, and I don't have a lot of money. Buying engine management and getting tuned is not possible...

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
here is an easy fix for all your fuel problems, ditch that FMU and run a chipped ecu, its well worth protecting your investment..... TRUST ME!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the problem is, I don't have a lot of money at the current time. Also, my car is OBD2 so I would need to spend about 100 bucks just to convert it, then who knows how much I will end up spending on hondata or some kind of engine management...

Believe me, I wish I could afford to protect my investment but I don't get out of school for another 16 months and until then I will be very much broke...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will look into that... $275 for the harness and the ecu...

But with this ecu what will happen if I put larger injectors in later on down the road?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hatch Man (z6) said:
Thanks, I will look into that... $275 for the harness and the ecu...

But with this ecu what will happen if I put larger injectors in later on down the road?
re-tune it.

by the way, those "pre made maps" are just basemaps...you will need to at the very least get a street tune on it, unless you have a wideband and everything is right on. keep in mind that you need to worry about timing just as much as AFR, too much advance, or too far retarded can be just as bad as rich or lean:)

·
Random Hero
Range Rover
2,624 Posts
I'm pretty sure running lean isn't making your check engine light come on. Check you vac lines, around the map sensor. What are you using the bleed the boost away from the map sensor anyways?

and you're right, that FMU is a problem ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, running lean is making my engine light come on... I am OBD2, the code is a "system too lean" code...

I have a synapse missing link...

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
kyle h. said:
I'm pretty sure running lean isn't making your check engine light come on.
Actually it will. My 97 Del Sol was throwing a code for to lean or to rich or something like that, I dont remember the exact code.

And as far as getting bigger injectors, all you have to do is either go back to that site and tell him you got bigger injectors and he can burn you a new chip just to get it running good enough to get it to a dyno.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took apart my FMU, and sprayed everything with carb cleaner. It runs much better, it stays very rich until 6psi, then it goes lean...

I will try to replace my fuel filter, and then my injectors if that doesnt work...

C

·
0 Posts
your ignition timing affects your AFR as well...the FMU is doing nothing to adjust this (your probably running ~20* of timing at 8 psi..get a chipped ecu)

·
Registered
629 Posts
CivicMike said:
your ignition timing affects your AFR as well...the FMU is doing nothing to adjust this (your probably running ~20* of timing at 8 psi..get a chipped ecu)
i agree...FMU's are junk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts