Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey d folk… I have a 93 del sol with the single jingle d16. I bought this early on in the summer and I can’t lie I got the project I was hoping for plus more. My first engine went down the drain because it had the wrong dipstick meaning that u never know when it’s good on oil, so that one blew. The next engine I bought is built to hell with everything forged top to bottom, even came cammed and with an eBay turbo kit. Now on to my problems, so just for reference I am not running boost as the wastegate doesn’t have a spring in it, because I haven’t had the time to get it tuned yet. I made sure to have new coolant parts and that the system was primed and everything. New thermostat and all, but today as I was cruising down the highway (not driving it hard at all), the coolant and oil temp crept pretty high. I saw my oil at 130°C 266°F, so I calmed down on and kept her out of revs and it started to cool down. By the time I was in a safe enough place to pull over, everytime I pressed on the gas it would get super lean, like 17-18 on the af gauge. Luckily enough I had the previous owner of the engine’s chipped ecu which basically pours fuel into the cylinders. I managed to get home but not quickly lol. It wouldn’t hold an idle and had to bump start it a couple times, due to it running so rich. (9-10-11 on the af gauge) So this leads me to believe that there can’t be anything wrong with the fuel pump or filter or pressure regulator or even any of the lines leading to the fuel rail. now that I’m home, the car is in the driveway smoking, burning coolant. There is no coolant leaks, other than overflowing out of the overflow canister behind the rad. Is there a logical explanation to why it would over heat and why the fuel system would get messed up like that if it does???

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,307 Posts
sounds like a blown head gasket.
it runs super rich when it runs correctly? you probably washed the cylinders and have fuel in the oil, which makes it thinner and got too thin and hotter and hotter.

leak down and compression check is in your future

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a blown head gasket.
it runs super rich when it runs correctly? you probably washed the cylinders and have fuel in the oil, which makes it thinner and got too thin and hotter and hotter.

leak down and compression check is in your future
Like a few days ago for example it was running great it would stay at 13:1 pretty much all the time only waivering by 0.5 or so. I will definitely do a compression test because I know this engine has been remachined and has over 210psi across the board. I guess checking the oil is a good idea.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
739 Posts
So you were running stock ecu and no waste gate spring when it pegged lean? Boost gauge?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you were running stock ecu and no waste gate spring when it pegged lean? Boost gauge?
Yea it’s basically na, no waste gate spring stock ecu I think p28 and boost gauge was rolling like 1/10th of a bar which is like 1.5 psi or something under full load. No more than a gust of wind up the intake pipe. Are you getting at that this might be related to the exhaust back pressure through the turbo?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
739 Posts
More thinking the gate may have stuck shut on you and it spooled causing it to go lean, but if you boost gauge is working and it wasnt spooled probably not the issue. Test fuel pressure key on engine off, and key on engine running, with and without vacuum line connected, possibly it stuck open dropping pressure too low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More thinking the gate may have stuck shut on you and it spooled causing it to go lean, but if you boost gauge is working and it wasnt spooled probably not the issue. Test fuel pressure key on engine off, and key on engine running, with and without vacuum line connected, possibly it stuck open dropping pressure too low.
I tried that like the weird thing is it’s perfectly fine in idle but as soon as some throttle is applied it goes completely lean. I pulled out the fuel pressure regulator line and it started to rev up as expected so I know that the fuel pressure regulator is doing something, maybe just not doing super well while under throttle, I’ll have to see. I’ve heard that a vacuum canister or something like that is also suggested when running boost but again 1-2 psi shouldn’t be more than a gust of wind in the intake.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,004 Posts
what head ?

do you have any way to look at the timing map..

you probably blew the head gasket but also make sure the timing belt didn't skip any teeth.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Pull spark plugs out and check their condition.

Just because it ran rich, doesnt mean an injector or two isnt being super finicky.

Do you have a thermal gun that can read upwards of 1200 degrees? Next time the car is cold, fire it up, let it idle, and take a temp reading on the exhaust runners every few minutes. See if they are somewhat close together, or if you have one or two runners going at a wildly different temp.

SMell the exhaust and see if the fuel smell sorta matches what the O2 is saying.

It is pretty rare, but a super rich condition can actually show as running lean to the sensors, but you would still know if its actually rich via exhaust color and smell.

Checking the plugs will let you know if its running rich because its not BURNING. Weak ignition control module is common enough, along with crappy distributor caps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what head ?

do you have any way to look at the timing map..

you probably blew the head gasket but also make sure the timing belt didn't skip any teeth.
Fairly sure it’s a z6 but not sure if the head is changed… it might be actually because it doesn’t have the star pattern cam pulley. Its worth seeing the timing I guess, however I had made sure to get the timing right when we had replaced the dizzy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pull spark plugs out and check their condition.

Just because it ran rich, doesnt mean an injector or two isnt being super finicky.

Do you have a thermal gun that can read upwards of 1200 degrees? Next time the car is cold, fire it up, let it idle, and take a temp reading on the exhaust runners every few minutes. See if they are somewhat close together, or if you have one or two runners going at a wildly different temp.

SMell the exhaust and see if the fuel smell sorta matches what the O2 is saying.

It is pretty rare, but a super rich condition can actually show as running lean to the sensors, but you would still know if its actually rich via exhaust color and smell.

Checking the plugs will let you know if its running rich because its not BURNING. Weak ignition control module is common enough, along with crappy distributor caps.
Okay thanks!

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
you can if it has fresh paint, a comfortable interior, and a banging stereo. Dont forget the NAWZ, blinging underglow, and fart cannon muffler

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you can if it has fresh paint, a comfortable interior, and a banging stereo. Dont forget the NAWZ, blinging underglow, and fart cannon muffler
Bro I got much bigger problems atm lmfaooo this thing is rusting away on my driveway

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,723 Posts
Reading over your first post, what are you using for an oil temp gauge?

266F is really hot, are you sure the gauge is accurate?

What was coolant temp when oil was that hot?

Is your overflow tank pushed full of coolant?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reading over your first post, what are you using for an oil temp gauge?

266F is really hot, are you sure the gauge is accurate?

What was coolant temp when oil was that hot?

Is your overflow tank pushed full of coolant?
So yes it was an accurate reading I can tell you that much I don’t cheap out on certain parts, I like to one and done when I’m buying something, hence why I don’t like the setup it has at the moment.(eBay turbo) although that isn’t my biggest problem. I don’t have a coolant temperature number reading but I can tell you it was up maybe 4 bars above the middle so about 4/5 or 5/6 the way to the top. Probably something kind of close to the oil temp? And yea the one thing I noticed when I got home was the overflow was pushed full of coolant, recently figured out these Honda’s have specific blue coolant, need to buy some of that too.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,307 Posts
what did the leak down and compression test tell you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what did the leak down and compression test tell you?
I’m planning on doing all of this during reading week, I bought a fuel pressure gauge a full aluminum rad some gaskets and stuff so as soon as I have some free time I’ll dig in and try to diagnose because theoretically d16s are bulletproof, but anyhow I need more time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts