Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got a new windshield replaced after 250,000 miles on the OG and now its been leaking near the top two corners. Went back twice and they reglued it both times. I thought this would def. be the last. Nope.
I swear its coming in at the two black strip areas still! I told them both times it was only wet at these two spots.

Soooo the question is: Anybody else have a windshield put in this series 96-00 and have leaks afterwards at these spots or so??

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the shop did a poor job installing it.

chances are it needs to be removed and re-set.

most shops break glass when they remove it, due to laziness.

dont put up with their patch work bullshit and have them re-seat it at their expense

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
the shop did a poor job installing it.

chances are it needs to be removed and re-set.

most shops break glass when they remove it, due to laziness.

dont put up with their patch work bullshit and have them re-seat it at their expense
x13651364262

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
poor preclean prior to installation. if they did not clean off all the old urethane then this persistant leak will continue until they get lucky resealing it or they completely remove the glass, clean the valley , and use good urethane to reseal it.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whats weird is they did a air test to it each time to spot for leaks and there was a few tiny ones the first time along the top he said, and this second time in the middle. Did not make any sense to me why it would still leak on the sides. He had some bs story about how it would travel to the outter edges.

My problem is I do have a aftermarket sunroof that did leak a few years ago. I did spend some $$$ to have that fixed correctly and reinstalled and a new headliner (due to that sagging). Sooo Im pretty confident its not from there.
So today Im doing my own testing by taping up the SR and going to run some water around the top like they did. This way at least eliminating the SR as the culprit ya know. But, yeah, Id assume they would re-install the damn thing. They def. put glule on in the inside. Dont know if the ever re-glued the outside area. Was told they did. Hmmmmmn.

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
to me it sounds like they just didnt want to be bothered with it seeing as that they didnt want to do it right the first time around. hope you have better luck with it soon.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i have a 96 and had a window installed about 6 months ago... never leaks for me... as stated from dan already, they did a crappy job, and have them pull the window, and reseal it

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i have a 96 and had a window installed about 6 months ago... never leaks for me... as stated from dan already, they did a crappy job, and have them pull the window, and reseal it
Ya last night, they R/R the thing, said nothing stuck out in his eyes that was causing the issue. Then looked into the two black trim strips on the roof. Said the two are pegged & glued on or something. Said the front two pegs were up a tad so he also re-glued these down with some spectrum ?? glue. suppose to be the bomb, uv resistant and all.

So will see if between the windshield R/R and these strips being reglued does the trick! Yeah, I never had such bad luck with a windshield before. And over my life, have had several put in diff. vehicles and such.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
member FarmYard on here had a new windshield installed and it cracked 3 hours later. lol!! now that is bad luck!

good thing the shop warrantied the glass and set him up with a new one for free. (like any good shop would)

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah so far all is good with them just the hassel and the fact we have had rain like non stop for the most part.

I wonder if the strips and the windshield seal are suppose to be glued together??? Need to confirm this.
Mine right now are not and think that is the whole issue to begin with. But he says no, its designed this way. IDK. And btw, this is a new windshield seal too incase anybody is wondering about that. It sits real good. -except like I said, at the strips of course.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ttt

So if anybody can tell me if the strips and the windshield rubber trim piece are glued together and show me there top pic of this area, that would be great.

Had windshield reinstalled the other day, and also tested my theory about poss. the s.roof area. And after all this above work guess what? it still leaks. Hence why I swear its gotta be at these strips and the w.shield seal. I can pull this w.s. seal up at these areas and look in a bit. Just wondering if these were glued together from the factory or what? Never noticed, looked before.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ttt

So if anybody can tell me if the strips and the windshield rubber trim piece are glued together and show me there top pic of this area, that would be great.

Had windshield reinstalled the other day, and also tested my theory about poss. the s.roof area. And after all this above work guess what? it still leaks. Hence why I swear its gotta be at these strips and the w.shield seal. I can pull this w.s. seal up at these areas and look in a bit. Just wondering if these were glued together from the factory or what? Never noticed, looked before.
if you are refering two the windhield trim piece that runs from the side and has a slight curve, then theyr are not designed to be glued to anything, their designed to be installed with tabs that run along the border. anyway the way the w/s is installed the glue is supposed to be set around the rim and then the w/s is placed on top in effect making a good seal and boy does eurethane stick real good.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What Im referring to is this. Should it be this way? cuz this is the only way I swear its coming in on both sides. Since the glass has been glued, reglued, re-installed, and so on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ok, well i checked the honda repair manual, and per the repair manual yes that molding is to first be glued to the windshield and then installed on the vehicle. but after that the book states that you glue the diameter of the w/s and then instal on the vehicle. honestly i dont think this will help you, maybe you can get them to have another shop due the work.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
your windshield if installed correctly will have a 100% seal around the whole thing.

so it shouldnt matter that flap is there

if its all rusty inside, it might be leaking.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
your windshield if installed correctly will have a 100% seal around the whole thing.

so it shouldnt matter that flap is there

if its all rusty inside, it might be leaking.
About the "flap" you call, meaning windshield seal, YES Im total aware of that, it hides the gap between windshield and body, but, the big question is do these areas that meet suppose to be glued together or.......like show in pic (s).
Well its not rusted, I asked and he also said NOTHING stood out that said, OH YES, this was the culprit (the previous glue job). I can just see down into this area and pull up the windshield seal at this area as per pic. Hence my thinking is water is traveling down these black strip areas and entering gap. he said it was designed to do this and run down the sides under the windshield seal. But again, I asking is this all sealed/glued down from the factory? I realize the windshield seal is not completely sealed to the roof but wondering about the gaps at these two spots. Now he said the only thing that came to his mind was these 2 black strips and said form factory they are glued down at the pegs and the front two were seperated from the stock glue. Soooo, he also reglued the strips at the ends here.

Here is another angle. As you can see these seals do not seal causing what I believe is the issue. Just want to confirm that this gap is suppose to be here since its not the stock seal/windshield now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
your rubber is fine on the top it's supposed to be like that or else it'd rip if you glued tried to replace ever.

but as far as your window seal they probably didn't clean off all the old stuff.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah, I just started wondering WTF would cause this and just throwing out STUPID ideas' cuz I was stump-d-fied!!!

Ok today, We FINALLY had a day that didn't rain or look like it was going to, so I did a "controlled water test" just at this spot to eliminate the poss. of this "peg" idea, the antenna area, and the sunroof area. And guess what folks?, it leaks!

So I said [email protected]#% it! and kinda pulled back the headliner and poked my finger up there a few times to test if it would be dry or not and sure enough it was a tad wet! I confirmed this again by drying my finger off too. So it appears to be this bad sealing of the windshield AGAIN!! WTF! The dude that did this work is the lead person and has about 30 years under his belt doing this and is an older guy (50-60s) and has a 60s car his restoring at the shop too. Guess his eyes must be going!!!! I wonder if they are going to give me a hard time having to more than likely have to pull this AGAIN?.

So lets see, reglued 2 times, pulled 2 times, this will be #3 in theory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts