Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just kinda wandering around the garage, looking over parts, and I decided to see if I could clean up the combustion chambers and valves a little. I filled each chamber with carb cleaner to let it soak. I noticed that they weren't holding the cleaner. All but one would be completely empty less than a minute after it was filled. I looked and much of it drained out the exhaust side. Is it normal for them to leak that much? Or are they not seating properly? I also noticed that the valves that were actually hit with my wayward piston leaked the least. Does that mean they're probably not bent?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
Your combustion chambers should be able to hold liquid.

Carb cleaner will remove oil and varnish but not carbon.

I've had a lot of success cleaning up heads without getting the seats re-cut using the following painstaking process.

First, you should disassemble the head completely.

Soak the valves in a grease or oil dissolver (i.e. brake cleaner, paint thinner, kerosene,etc). At this point there will be carbon or rust left on the valves.
Using a soft wire brush (dremel works great) clean away any loose carbon especially around the valve edges that contact the seat. Get them shiny. Put the valve in a drill to spin the valve while gently sanding it with clean with 400 grit sand paper.

Soak the valves in Piston Kleen. (google it)

Now use a wire brush or dremel and clean the seats. Be careful not to leave any deep gouges.

Get some valve lapping compound and a lapping tool and lap the valves into the seat. Spin the valve lightly and lift up the valve from time to time. The grinding will sound gritty at first but then get softer. Clean the valve and seat and repeat this process 4 times.

Reassemble the head without the cam and install the spark plugs. Position the head so the chambers are level. Soak each chamber with Piston Kleen. This stuff will loosen carbon so that you can wipe it away or gently brush it off. It will also test how well your valves seal.

It's painstaking I know but it's something to do if you like doing all your own work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts