Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’ve got a JDM D15B VTEC I got from HMO. I’ve probably put about 1,000 miles on it since getting it in the car. Since I started it up it’s been leaking from the oil filter. I cannot figure out why or how to fix it.

This is now the third OEM Honda filter I’ve had on it, everyone gets a small leak at the bottom. I’ve tightened it as tight as I can get it by hand each time. The wrench I have always slips off at this torque level. The mounting surface on the block has maybe a little wear, but it’s not like there is a big gouge or something. The engine came with an oversized filter, wonder if this was to fix the problem?

Any ideas how to fix this? I’ve thought about putting maybe some Honda bond or something on the seal, but beyond that I have no idea. It’s not leaking a ton, but obviously I want it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Did you make sure its not coming from the oil pressure sensor before continuing to purchase new filters?

Clean the area with some brake cleaner, start the car and let it get up to temp, kill it and crawl under to confirm leak location.

Or take a picture and post it maybe you are missing something others might easily see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I kept looking at the oil filter that came with the engine and kept thinking that the thicker gasket versus the OEM Honda was the problem. I bought a new aftermarket oil filter and installed today. I looked at the surface the gasket sits on for the oil filter and it's perfectly smooth. There is some discoloration, but I can't feel anything with my finger or finger nail.

Started the car and immediately it started leaking again. I pulled the car into the garage and put it on stands and got underneath it while it was running. As far as I can tell you are correct and it's the oil pressure switch that's leaking. It's leaking quite badly too. I had initially ruled it out because there was no oil on the block beneath it. But it's leaking onto the oil filter and then going to the bottom of the oil filter making it look like it's coming from the oil filter.

I bought a new sensor this evening, I have a spare one from my old engine, but it probably has 200k+ miles on it, so I figured for $20 I'll just get a new one. I wish I had looked before buying another oil filter, but you told me so. I was just so positive that was the issue. I really hope it's the oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have seen them blow oil straight back to the firewall and completely miss the block and I have seen them leak down onto the filter. Either way hopefully the issue is now resolved for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen them blow oil straight back to the firewall and completely miss the block and I have seen them leak down onto the filter. Either way hopefully the issue is now resolved for you.
Replaced the oil pressure sensor a few days ago, no leaks since then! Thanks so much for the help, glad to have the car not losing a quart of oil a week!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts