Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. i'm rebuilding my d16y7 from a 1998 civic cx hatch. so far what i have done is taken the cylinder head off and basically i set out to do a mini me swap, with a rebuilt head however. i figured since i made it this far, i may as well check the short block out and this is where i'm running into some problems. normally to make sure there is no leaks in the pistons, my dad told me to pour some gasoline into all of the combustion chambers and let them sit.

now most of the pistons still hold the fuel, but piston number two has no oil left in it at all. i need recomendations as to my next step here. to me it seems like this is a problem with the rings so if i replace those then it should be fine right? if i need to replace the pistons then i might as well invest in p28s because a higher compression would equal more power. unfortunatley i didn't do a leak down or compression test when the car was still running so i don't know what the compression was for each cylinder. so what do you think, new rings or new pistons (with rings)?

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
hey everyone. i'm rebuilding my d16y7 from a 1998 civic cx hatch. so far what i have done is taken the cylinder head off and basically i set out to do a mini me swap, with a rebuilt head however. i figured since i made it this far, i may as well check the short block out and this is where i'm running into some problems. normally to make sure there is no leaks in the pistons, my dad told me to pour some gasoline into all of the combustion chambers and let them sit.

now most of the pistons still hold the fuel, but piston number two has no oil left in it at all. i need recomendations as to my next step here. to me it seems like this is a problem with the rings so if i replace those then it should be fine right? if i need to replace the pistons then i might as well invest in p28s because a higher compression would equal more power. unfortunatley i didn't do a leak down or compression test when the car was still running so i don't know what the compression was for each cylinder. so what do you think, new rings or new pistons (with rings)?

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Did i read that right? gas sit in the cylinders over night???
thats not a good thing to do.
Now from the picture it looks like oil so thats not bad.
I can see where most has drain out of the cylinder. That would be rings. pistons dont really mess up and get holes in them unless your pushing alot of power or very poor tune. If the car was mostly stock i doubt there would be a hole in one.

When the head was on did you do a leak down or compression test? That would of told you more about the motor before breaking it down.
But the best thing to do at this point is to remove that piston and check the rings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did i read that right? gas sit in the cylinders over night???
thats not a good thing to do.
Now from the picture it looks like oil so thats not bad.
I can see where most has drain out of the cylinder. That would be rings. pistons dont really mess up and get holes in them unless your pushing alot of power or very poor tune. If the car was mostly stock i doubt there would be a hole in one.

When the head was on did you do a leak down or compression test? That would of told you more about the motor before breaking it down.
But the best thing to do at this point is to remove that piston and check the rings.
thanks for the reply. yes it's oil lol, but i was told gasoline is better. unfortunatley my inexperience got the better of me and i decided not to do any tests on the engine despite the fact that i have all the tools available to me :sweatdrop:. it's a stock motor so that's what i was thinking as well, to replace the rings.

i have one more question and let me know if you guys want to see a picture as well. cylinder number 3 was fairly clean when i took the motor appart. the other ones had the usual build up of carbon but number 3 was surprisingly clean. it's not leaking so the compression should be fine right?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
it just means that the seal isnt perfect on that one cylinder. it could be from a lot of reasons.

hopefully the rings are just stuck. happens with older motors with lots of crud built up in the ring grooves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
question,
how many miles does the car have?
how long have you had this car for?
when it was running, when you punch it, would it smoke? Black?
I just bought the car recently with the intention of rebuilding the motor. It has 230k km on it. Absolutely no smoke when I gunned it. I went full throttle on first second and third and the engine was really good at taking the beating. I also took the oil cap off after running and no smoke at all came out. If it helps you guys, the cylinder walls are also in very good condition. They have no cross hatches or any visible scratches inside. As far as I understand I need to replace all the rings, I can't just do it for the one piston due to microscopic balancing issues? Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
depending on your budget and how much you want to spend on a stock motor. some cheap ass guys just replace the rings on one cylinder and call it a day.

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
get new rings.Hone the cylinder walls.Get new bearings.Replace rod and main bearings.Check the oil pump per service limits in the book,then port it.(there is tons of info on here on it.)Resurface the head.lap the valves.Check everything in the valve train for the service limits in the book.Assemble everything and go for a drive after the first initial break in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts