Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leak from the distributor but I believed NOT to be the distributor oil ring.

Ok guys I started taking things apart to change my head gasket since I thought the oil was because of a head gasket since the leak seems to be coming from the left front corner of my cylinder head. At first I didn't think was the distributor oil seal since I just recently install one but when I wen't to remove the distributor all 3 bolts were pretty loose to the point that you could have remove them with my finder.

This got me thinking cause in order for the distributor to seat nice and flat and tight all bolts most be tight. So after removing a bunch of stuff I re-installing everything and now with a brand new oem distributor oil seal I'm about to tight everything up and run the engine again.

I was just wondering, Has anyone gone through the same leaking problem where it WAS NOT THE DISTRIBUTOR OIL RING?

Will let you guys know how it went, in a bit, be nice if after the 3 bolts are tight up the oil leak stops cause I never had an issue with oil leak with my car.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Is any oil in the distributor cap?

They can leak internally from a small shaft seal.

The other thing I can think of is the cap that bolts on the distributor is leaking and just needs to be taken off and had a little bit of RTV run around it and re installed.

This pic shows it well enough

The thing with the 2 bolts on it from the top

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
had my dizzy oil ring leak before. when it leaks it dip down to the front of the transmission.
fix that up and then had a leak in the back of the transmission. Ended up being the vtec upper gasket.

Start her back up and see if she leaks. And it could also be the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Ha!!! I get to chase down the same leak tomorrow morning. I replaced the oil seal along with my dizzy seal and the problem seemed to stay te same.

GL, bro. Share your findings.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is any oil in the distributor cap?

They can leak internally from a small shaft seal.

The other thing I can think of is the cap that bolts on the distributor is leaking and just needs to be taken off and had a little bit of RTV run around it and re installed.

If you see my build thread, my head came with that broken, I ended up taking that cap of another head that I had. I did install it with Honda bond and never had an issue before

This pic shows it well enough

The thing with the 2 bolts on it from the top
The little picture showing the 3 bolts that attach the distributor housing to the head were the ones that were loose. If you notice in the picture you can see a bit of oil at the button of the distributor hole, that same oil spot I think is the one leaking and running down my block. I do have a new oil ring but if those 3 bolts are way to loose I think you will have an oil leak run like the one I'm having

had my dizzy oil ring leak before. when it leaks it dip down to the front of the transmission.
fix that up and then had a leak in the back of the transmission. Ended up being the vtec upper gasket.

Start her back up and see if she leaks. And it could also be the valve cover gasket.
I lifted the car and went underneath with a flashlight, it runs from underneath the distributor then it runs between the head and the block tours the front left corner then it runs down the block where the engine serial number is, it also runs a bit in the tranny all the way down. I'm leaning tours being the 3 bolts on the distributor.

I Put everything together, but in the process I ended up damaging my O2 sensor, the intercooler piping was leaning against it and I guess when I was removing it or installing it it busted the top part where all the wires connect to the 02 sensor.

I didn't think nothing bad happen till I was reading my wideband 8-9, to low compare to my previous reading 13-14. I didn't wan't to let the car heat up enough to let the fan kick in a few times to see if the head would leak, didn't want to take a chance and damage the engine so I turn it off. I think I got another 02 from a running engine so I will used that one and run the engine and check for leaks.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I've seen a dizzy leak through the rotor shaft once before. After tearing apart the dizzy, we found there is a bearing at the bottom of the unit. After that bearing gets hard as a rock, it will start to leak. The bearing is NEAR impossible to replace.

Like someone else mentioned, look at the vtec noid seal too.

GL!

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I've seen a dizzy leak through the rotor shaft once before. After tearing apart the dizzy, we found there is a bearing at the bottom of the unit. After that bearing gets rock as a rock, it will start to leak. The bearing is NEAR impossible to replace.

GL!
not a bearing. its just an oil seal. if you are refering to this

all you have to do is take the dizzy apart pop the old one out and put the new one in. Honda doesn't sell them but they can be found on amazon for like $10

I've replaced 2 in the last 2 months. both were leaking

·
Registered
650 Posts
Had that on mine couple years back. Just rode it out till the distributor died.

Now did you say you took the bearing cap from another motor? That's not a good idea...

You do that, and you need to line bore it. You will get leaks, and premature failure.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had that on mine couple years back. Just rode it out till the distributor died.

Now did you say you took the bearing cap from another motor? That's not a good idea...

You do that, and you need to line bore it. You will get leaks, and premature failure.
I know but I didn't have any choice, literally my engine was almost completely build when I notice that. besides that was the head that I bought at ebay from a "machine shop"

The machine shop I go don't like to mess with any line bore, you tell them that it needs it and they don't want to touch it, I don't know why.

I didn't have any problems till now, will check tomorrow if I have a chance. Gonna have to change my O2 sensor position again.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
I've seen a dizzy leak through the rotor shaft once before. After tearing apart the dizzy, we found there is a bearing at the bottom of the unit. After that bearing gets rock as a rock, it will start to leak. The bearing is NEAR impossible to replace.

GL!
Holy crap, he's right. It took me quite a while to get that stupid bearing out. Not only is it a PAIN to get out but the dealer doesn't stock the part either. Depending on how much trouble you have to o through with it, you might as well get a new housing or just a new dizzy.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have any leaks inside my distributor, just the normal oil in the part that connects to the camshaft.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the old oil seal wears a groove into that spot on the head casting. Cause when I replaced mine with a new one the leak got slightly worse.

I have a leak in the exact same spot. It's annoying.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully tomorrow I will install another 02 sensor and run the engine and check for leaks, I will try to take pictures and videos if possible.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!! Sorry no photos since I left the camera at the garage, will post some tomorrow.

After installing a new distributor oil seal and making sure the 3 bolts that holds the distributor were tight, I started the engine and let it ran for a bit. Despite all this, I STILL HAVE AN OIL LEAK,

So I took the head out and will be dropping it at the machine shop for a clean shave and i will be putting it together this time with a OEM Honda gasket.

I'm almost sure that the OEM Honda gasket can be use on a 76mm bore but I will make sure it works and take pictures.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
pretty sure OEM hgs are 76mm, or at least mine was, so it shouldn't be a problem. but if that still doesn't work.... check out that shaft oil seal inside the dizzy

·
Registered
24 Posts
My freshly built motor was leaking from that very same spot so I replaced the dizzy shaft seal and o-ring assuming it was the culprit. Still leaked, so i replaced the vtec solenoid seals. Still leaked, so I took a good look at my valve cover grommets and decided to replace those...no more leaks!

·
Registered
'94 DX Sedan
167 Posts
+1 for it not being the o-ring. I bought a chinese-made new distributor and it has leaked oil since day one. I replaced the o-ring with a genuine honda part, but nothing changed.

So it's either the shaft seal, or in my case it's probably some imperfection in the dizzy due to it's cheapness.

Mine doesn't leak all that much, so I haven't looked into it extensively, but good luck with yours!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More pictures of the leak!

After I warm up the car, the now famous leak started.

better view now that the water neck and turbo manifold are out. It appears that the leak was coming from underneath the sensor.

Took the head out, is funny how you can see the oil running in that same corner where is leaking, then again i have the car drop in the front and lift it in the back.

Area where it was leaking, up and closed.

Another picture from the front where the leak was coming from now that the head is out of the way.

Picture of the Cometic gasket from the top

and a close up from the top of the cometic gasket on piston 3 and 4 where the leak was at.

another close up from the bottom this time same piston 3 and 4

1 - 20 of 26 Posts