Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a larger oil filter i could use to replace the stock one? i will be running a turbo z6 and a little extra oil capacity would be nice. thanks.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Do you guys know if a larger capacity oil filter would even help you? When the oil pressure hits a certain level, it's bypassed.

Also, Spoon runs smaller filters or OEM-sized filters, and put band clamps around them. This is to help keep the oil pressure from fluctuating.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
just about every honda has the same oil filter through fram all of ours and most others are 3593 other than that a few other hondas have 6607(smaller than our 3593) and some have 7317 (still smaller than our 3593). yes even the s2000 has a 3593...

·
Registered
157 Posts
you have to remove the IM bracket i believe to put on a larger filter. The oversized one for mobil1 is the M1-105.

I had problems installing this one on my d16y8. It seemed it wasnt threaded right. after 5 filter changes with the oversized m1-105's and even wix, i went back to the OEM size adn the filters threaded right on.

There were debates back and forth about this, but the question is, does it really affect oil pressure? I know the bypass pressure would be different. Im more worried about strain on the oil pump and startup starvation.

·
Registered
720 Posts
best way to end this lil concern is oil cooler / relocation kit, they run about 200 ish! depending on how "bananas" u go

so this is IDEAL if ur going for any love with your engine!

·
Registered
96 hatch SIR
1,334 Posts
Not too sure about the difference in capacity and such but when doing oil changes at Sears civic and s2000 use the same part number oil filter. Don't know for sure If you can benifit from this tho.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not too sure about the difference in capacity and such but when doing oil changes at Sears civic and s2000 use the same part number oil filter. Don't know for sure If you can benifit from this tho.
Yes, it has the same aftermarket part number. The 3593 and the 7317 aftermarket filters also have the same thread. However, back in the day, there were 3 genuine Honda filters. The average size one that had existed since '88, the small one, that they introduced for the K series, and the big one for the S2000. Since then Honda axed both the average and large filters and just uses the small filters on everything. The big S2000 filter is still available at some dealers, but once they're gone, they're gone. The S2000 filter is the PCX (bigger than the 3593), and the new small one is the PLM (equal to 7317)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmm lots of info here. i just want the larger filter to help with cooling. more oild flow the better. i will also have my feed lines and return lines which add oil to. none of the aftermarket filter make a proper seal on the honda blocks. all the fram/wics/motomaster ones leak. not alot but enough to notice. the only ones i have found that make a proper seal are k&N and factory OEM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts