Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know I should have just bought them off the bat, but I guess it's a lesson learned. Ideas and expectations change over time, and so does your car.

So anyways, this is my suspension setup so you get a better idea of what I'm feeling and trying to convey to you all:
-Koni Yellow + Eibach Sportline
-EM1 rear swaybar with Energy Suspension bushings
-stinkbug stance (face down, ass up)

So the shocks… are awesome. I love having the adjustability. Literally a week after getting them, I took the car to Buttonwillow Raceway after they repaved it and spent the whole weekend dialing track settings. For my suspension setup, I found having the rears full hard and the fronts 2 clicks from full hard was perfect. What is a "click" you ask? I don't know, that's what the tow truck guy said to try when I asked him about suspension. So I interpreted it like this: one click is a little bump on the side of the knob to adjust the shocks.
The lower left shows what bumps I'm talking about on the knob.

For the street, I have them set at three 180º turns from full soft on front and rear. The reason I say "three 180º turns" is because the fronts will do a whole 720º from full soft to full hard, but the rears do like 540º and then another 90º above that. Anyway, the street setup is soft enough to be bearable on the street and not give you a back ache. However, if you set front and rear to full hard, it's ANNOYING with all the bumps and my back started to hurt. And I was driving on what appeared to be a flat and level road too. I used to have my street settings softer, but I was rubbing the wheel in the wheel well a bit much. This is probably because the adjustment screw only adjusts rebound and not compression. I'm going to have my front fenders rolled to hopefully stop them from rubbing. Also, having that adjustable spring perch (albeit, limited adjustment) is pretty cool to have. I have mine set so the rear is almost like stock height so that when I load up for the track, I'm not rubbing the wheels all the time. Plus, I like the look lol.

And now the Eibach Sportline springs. They're stiffer than my old ProKits for sure. Definitely much less body roll than the ProKits and they're still comfortable on the streets. The ProKit springrates were 290F 190R and the Sportlines are 310F 275R. I gotta say, they feel good on the streets and track. Maybe a tad bit much body roll, but a bigger rear sway bar would fix that. I'm not sure yet if I want to get a bigger one because this is my daily driver, but you never know.

Overall, this is a good budget setup for someone who wants very daily friendly suspension and the capability to take their car to the track and kick ass all day. They're relatively easy to install and they make a huge difference. If you want a bit more track-oriented budget setup, then Ground Control sleeves are for you. But mine is more like a "track-able street car" lol so this setup works for me.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Be careful with the yellows, you don't want to run them either fully stiff or fully soft, the danger is the adjuster can become stuck.

I haven't tracked my car, I just set them to where they were firm but not harsh, figure it would work well like that everywhere I take them. Nice setup you have though, looks nice and low without being dysfunctional, good heavy duty shocks that will last you a lifetime, and good springs. Thinking about running koni's and H&R's on my new car when the time comes that the suspension is worn and in need of attention, not terribly different than what you are running now.

** Don't forget to reset your pivot points on the suspension when you change ride height, don't forget to align as well. I'd wait a few hundred miles to let the springs settle in to their final ride height, then align

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful with the yellows, you don't want to run them either fully stiff or fully soft, the danger is the adjuster can become stuck.

I haven't tracked my car, I just set them to where they were firm but not harsh, figure it would work well like that everywhere I take them. Nice setup you have though, looks nice and low without being dysfunctional, good heavy duty shocks that will last you a lifetime, and good springs. Thinking about running koni's and H&R's on my new car when the time comes that the suspension is worn and in need of attention, not terribly different than what you are running now.

** Don't forget to reset your pivot points on the suspension when you change ride height, don't forget to align as well. I'd wait a few hundred miles to let the springs settle in to their final ride height, then align
Thanks for the tip on the adjusters! Yep, I got my suspension all aligned after letting the springs settle too.

they're that much better than the STR.ts, huh?
They are indeed.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol yes, I am selling it, but I'm out here in California.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I think the "click" he was refering to is the adjustment levels on some coilover setups are divided by clicks. My PICs for example have 8 "clicks" of adjustment. Each level has a cleary noticeable point where the knob clicks into place. The Konis, IIRC, are more of a free form knob turn.

Good write up. Glad the new set up is doin' it for you.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yeah shipping is prohibitive, u less you're willing to pay it! Lol

Yeah, that's what I thought he was referring to, so I just interpreted it in a way that made sense to me haha. But the way I interpreted a "click" actually works. The difference is noticeable when you're driving at the limit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts