Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. My buddies and I are attempting to build a D16 that was knocking. Our plans are built bottom end and boosted motor. We are all pretty new to the building process and willing to learn. My car is a 2004 STi, my Buddy Matt's is 2002 EP3, and my friend Ovie B16 in a banged up shell. We have taken apart the motor and have everything tagged and bagged. The Crank has some scoring and the main bearing are shot. We are going to start the cleaning of everything of the parts. If any could point us in the right direction we would be grateful. Also, we look forward to the getting to know people in the thread and learning from what others have done. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take the crank to a machine shop and get them to look the crank over to see if you can still use it and if not start looking for another crank
Thanks my friends and I finished up cleaning up all the mess and all the parts. Now, we are thinking about what we are going to do next with the rebuild of the motor. Any advice.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
810 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the engine code? D16Z6, D16Y8, D16A6?

Will this be your 1st Honda build?

If yes, I vote for a Tuner Toy/Vitara setup, preferably with a top-mount, good engine management & a shitload of boost! :td:

You can't go wrong taking cues on your build from one like this guys'...

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/87123-my-d16z6-vitara-build.html

The best thread on Honda-Tech (If it ever gets back online!)...
The Official Fastest/Quickest SOHC Turbo thread - Honda-Tech
Yeah, it will be our first ground up build. When you say top-mount what does that mean. It is a D16Y8. When I hear that I think of Subaru's top-mount intercooler. I know that it is two different things. But thanks for that advice!:ninja::ninja:

·
Registered
234 Posts
take the crank to a machine shop and get them to look the crank over to see if you can still use it and if not start looking for another crank
defently take the crank to a machine shop and also the bare block so it can get clean and balance

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
810 Posts
..When you say top-mount what does that mean..
It's usually a mid to relatively long, equal length primaried turbo manifold. Now they're coming in twin-scroll configuration for the D-Series.. with the right diameter piping you get *most* of the best of both worlds, the quicker spooling of "log" or "shorty" tubular manifolds but with better flow/boost/power potential offered by larger equal primaries, mandrel bends, top-notch merges & welds.

Gotta love the trickle-down effect of manufacturers offering affordable manifolds that about 5 years ago were usually only seen on NHRA SFWD or higher cars...

Pix help. :bigok:

Oh & finding a good machine shop to inspect your crank & to have the block hot tanked & balanced liked DisturbedEf said (when you've bought all your internals) is a good idea. Welcome to the wonderful world of "Single Slams!" :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh & finding a good machine shop to inspect your crank & to have the block hot tanked & balanced liked DisturbedEf said (when you've bought all your internals) is a good idea. Welcome to the wonderful world of "Single Slams!" :)[/QUOTE]

Right on thanks for advice. I will post pictures of the block and everything else. Now, I feel better about what direction we should go :pinch:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts