Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Honda civic hatchback si
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 1992 eg hatch si that has a d16z6 that was bored .50mm over, CP pistons, eagle rods, BC springs and retainers, edelbrock x intake, skunk 2 70mm throttle body and garret .57 trim turbo. As for fuel and electronics it has a hondata s300, fic 1000cc injectors in a aem fuel rail with aem frp and gauge, walbro 255, and aem wideband.

I’ve had it about a week now and noticed a slight knock sound coming from the crank pully/ timing cover side of the engine. I plan on doing an oil change and dropping the oil pan tomorrow to check for any flakes. I also plan to pull the lower timing cover to make sure the crank pully isn’t loose. I wanted to post here to get some opinions on the knock I’m hearing. It is only heard below 1k rpms anything above that and it goes away. Will include a video below.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,659 Posts
It doesnt sound bottom end, sounds more top end. Some injectors are surprisingly noisy at idle, especially large saturated/non peak and hold injectors. Heavy pintles and not a lot of on time at idle make it literally sound like dropping a ball bearing on an anvil:

I'm running those same FIC 1000 saturated injectors, and like you said below 1000rpm they sound like loose valve lash ticking. In fact they are so loud, you can hear them sending their noise all through the engine in different places with a mechanics stethoscope if you listen closely. This is partly why my idle RPM is set to 1000 lol

I'd also check valve lash, and attempt to peer/look at the cam lobes. You want to make sure they aren't performing automatic valve lashing haha (i.e. wiping a cam lobe).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts