Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 civic ex
Already replaced this sensor 3 times and they only last one week than the check engine light comes back on . So far I've only tried eBay knock sensors . Should I try one from auto zone ? Or do I really have a knock ?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,401 Posts
did you install it per fsm and troubleshoot? did you clear codes?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Here is what I suggest. unplug the knock sensor, disconnect battery and reconnect after 10-20 minutes. Make sure car is COLD. as in not running in the last 3 hours.

Perform an idle relearn procedure. either let it idle forever, or hold rpms around 2500. Do either until you hear the radiator fans kick on a few times. Ideally, you want to be hearing the fans kcik on with less than say a minute between fan kicks. This lets you know you are fully warmed up. Make sure NOTHING is on, no radio, no blower fan, no AC, etc...

Shut down car. remove key entirely, wait a few seconds. Start car up, elt it run a little bit. minute or two.

Shut down, reinstall knock plug connector. Use a scanner to clear code NOT pulling fuse!

This puts your car in its best scenario for recognizing the knock sensor is new. the idle relearn gets the fuel trim and idle taken care of, and you are not left with a code that takes forever and two moons to clear itself

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If you can get a decent scan tool, monitor the knock PID while driving, put it on the dyno or jack up the car and get the wheels turning... (knock usually isnt monitored during idle/no movement and also if there are ABS codes the knock sensor sensitivity is altered, "rough road signal")

Monitor the knock PID while tapping the engine gently with a small hammer while its running/in gear. It should show up on the scan tool.

IIRC usually the "knock sensor" code is thrown when its not plugged in. I would double check your wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts