Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swaped a mini-me D16 into my sedan (y7 bottom, y8 head). The motor came from my friends car, and he had zero issues with the motor. It got pulled, and I pulled the tranny off, to put the motor itself up on a stand. I had a mini-me in my car before, but swaped it out for a B18, then went back to a D16 mini-me, so all the wiring was already there to start with.

Im getting CEL code 23, the knock sensor. The issue is, once I start the car up, I have no CEL. I can let the car idle for awhile, and no CEL. Once I start driving, the CEL pops on for the knock sensor.

Now, this makes me think that the sensor is just bad. If it were a wiring issue, the CEL would come on immediately after starting the car, right? I havent set the ignition timing yet because I need it to be at running temp, and no CEL on when the timing is being set so the ECU dosent set it itself. Will the ignition timing being off, set off the knock sensor?

Any ideas? I dont want to pull the manifold off to get to the sensor, just to replace it when its not bad to begin with....

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
Ayy buddy :cool:

Is it on too tight? You can normally get it from the bottom of the car easily. It should have a one wire plug... red and blue wire I think. Drop to obd1 and itll go away

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was on too tight, then wouldnt it of thrown a code in my buddys car, too? I dont have a socket big enough to fit over the sensor, so I dont know how far its torqued.....

I know its got one wire, Walter. Ive done mini-me swaps before. lol. Cant go OBD1 either. Its my DD, and I just need it inspected.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
Could it be a vibration form the exhaust or something like that? I'm getting a similar problem. CEL goes on and off at random times and it's always the knock sensor code. If the sensor and wiring is good what about the ecu? have you tried one that doesn't have a CEL's on at all.

About 5500 rpms is the peak hp isn't it? i'm not sure about y7's stats.
deffenitly not caused by the exhaust. only way to know your peak power is to look at a dyno sheet from your car

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Y7 blocks dont have knock sensors. So if you do have one in that block it had to be tapped into somewhere. You also wouldnt need to pull the IM to get at it. You should be able to just jack up the car and see where it is. Im assuming it either came loose where it is. or is in a shitty spot to begin with. What ecu runs it?

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
Is it possible to have a overly sensitive knock sensor? LIke it's picking up things that aren't knock.
ha, i dont think your KS is about to blow its load. are you sure you have a KS man. like stated before the y7 block doesnt come with one unless someone went through all the trouble to tap the block and do the wiring for one, which isn't worth it if you ask me. what ecu do you have? if it's the P2E (stock d16y7 ecu) then you're just getting the cel because it thinks you have a ks that isnt hooked up when in fact you dont even have one! thats where my money is. get on your passenger side and take off the plastic interior panel right in front of the speaker. under and to the right of the glove box. there should be one screw and then it just pops off.

visual: http://image.modified.com/f/17361190+w750+st0/0602_sccp_09_z+1994_honda_civic+ecu.jpg

now read the numbers/letters on the side of it and look for "P2E"

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
lol. Guys, y7 and y8 blocks are the same. There is a spot FROM THE FACTORY on y7 blocks for a factory knock sensor. Im guessing you guys who are saying I had to have had the block tapped for one, have never done a mini-me swap, or looked at the back of a y7 block.

Im using a stock 99-00 Ex ECU. I had a mini-me in before I went to an LS motor, and I had zero issues with the knock sensor. Not one. Now, with the new motor, Im having issues.

Its cold as fck right now, so I havent had time to do anything. Gonna re-check the wiring, and if its still throwing a code, Im gonna swap it out with another sensor.

Oh, and y7 ECU's dont even LOOK for a knock sensor. So its impossible to get a KS code w/a y7 ECU.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
yes i 'm sure i have a knock sensor. sorry i should have said i have a 99 ex. stock rebuild y8. p2p is my ecu. i'm on my 3rd ecu and the ks was brand new when the motor was dropped in. i'm kinda just looking for other peoples opinions. because i'm having the CEL come on and then go off on it's on is making me wonder if there is some kind of vibration for something tricking it in to thinking it is the motor even though it's not. I read somewhere once that sentra's have very sensitive ks and it picked up little things and thought it was the motor. so they took it out and ziptied it to the firewall.
alright guys, who the fuck is who? i mean we have the op and then there's lil stabbymx99..... do you have the same problem or is this one person with multiple personality's with two accounts and one car?
lol. Guys, y7 and y8 blocks are the same. There is a spot FROM THE FACTORY on y7 blocks for a factory knock sensor. Im guessing you guys who are saying I had to have had the block tapped for one, have never done a mini-me swap, or looked at the back of a y7 block.

Im using a stock 99-00 Ex ECU. I had a mini-me in before I went to an LS motor, and I had zero issues with the knock sensor. Not one. Now, with the new motor, Im having issues.

Its cold as fck right now, so I havent had time to do anything. Gonna re-check the wiring, and if its still throwing a code, Im gonna swap it out with another sensor.

Oh, and y7 ECU's dont even LOOK for a knock sensor. So its impossible to get a KS code w/a y7 ECU.
well man... it sounds like you know everything so have at it. gl op (which ever person you are) im done here. gl with the ks.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright guys, who the fuck is who? i mean we have the op and then there's lil stabbymx99..... do you have the same problem or is this one person with multiple personality's with two accounts and one car?

well man... it sounds like you know everything so have at it. gl op (which ever person you are) im done here. gl with the ks.

Stabbymx99 is not the same person at me. Im the OP. He's just thread jacking. And I dont know everything. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that y7's are tapped from the factory for a knock sensor...

I guess Im on my own, because Im alittle more knowledgable than contributers to this thread....

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Before you go making assumptions, I drove a 98 d16y7 hatch for years which I swapped to LS. And if your going to call out peoples knowledge why would you have to pull the mani to get at the thing? Dont come in here asking for help and then trying to say your the only one in here who knows what there talking about...

And BTW the spot that you say is on the block NEEDS TAPPED

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before you go making assumptions, I drove a 98 d16y7 hatch for years which I swapped to LS. And if your going to call out peoples knowledge why would you have to pull the mani to get at the thing? Dont come in here asking for help and then trying to say your the only one in here who knows what there talking about...

And BTW the spot that you say is on the block NEEDS TAPPED
Then why did the knock sensor thread right into the hole without me doing anything to the block? It does not need to be tapped. I drove a 00 y7 sedan for 5 years, and still am (only had the LS for a few months, but thats besides the fact). Ive done many Mini-Me swaps, and not one have I had to tap the hole for the knock sensor.

Id pull the manifold to get to the sensor because I dont have a big enough socket to get to the sensor with the manifold on. Pull the mani, and use a pair of vice grips and its out/in.

Im not calling out anyones knowledge. If people are telling me that stock y7 blocks arent threaded for a knock sensor, when they obviously are, then I obviously need to go else where for my answers....

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
Stabbymx99 is not the same person at me. Im the OP. He's just thread jacking. And I dont know everything. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that y7's are tapped from the factory for a knock sensor...

I guess Im on my own, because Im alittle more knowledgable than contributers to this thread....
well i guess so hoobastank..
Then why did the knock sensor thread right into the hole without me doing anything to the block? It does not need to be tapped. I drove a 00 y7 sedan for 5 years, and still am (only had the LS for a few months, but thats besides the fact). Ive done many Mini-Me swaps, and not one have I had to tap the hole for the knock sensor.

Id pull the manifold to get to the sensor because I dont have a big enough socket to get to the sensor with the manifold on. Pull the mani, and use a pair of vice grips and its out/in.

Im not calling out anyones knowledge. If people are telling me that stock y7 blocks arent threaded for a knock sensor, when they obviously are, then I obviously need to go else where for my answers....
if you're not getting the answers you want then try another fourm, there's plenty good/ok ones out there, there's google, and theres electrical tape to put over ur cel.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i guess so hoobastank..

if you're not getting the answers you want then try another fourm, there's plenty good/ok ones out there, there's google, and theres electrical tape to put over ur cel.
Yea, I had some luck on ClubCivic, surprisingly. Id use electical tape, but in NY if theres a CEL, the car will automatically fail NYS inspection. So that wont work. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts